Tragic loss a local Eagle Scout

Artem Ziberov, an eagle scout  of troop 489 of Germantown MD was found shot to death while sitting in a car with his friend Shadi Najjar in a normally peaceful court last night.  The police report said at least 22 shots were fired.  Both young men were to have graduated today.   This took place less than two miles from where I work.  

Edited by Oldscout448

Courtesy Seneca District,   NCAC:

""Funeral services for Artem Ziberov are scheduled to be held at Neelsville Presbyterian Church this Saturday, June 10, 2017 with visitation from 3-6pm and the Memorial Service at 6:00.

20701 Frederick Rd.
Germantown, MD 20876

Scouts and Leaders are asked to wear their dress uniforms.

Matthew Beyers
Chair, Seneca District
National Capital Area Council
senecaadmin@ncacsenecadistrict.org""

Such a tragedy, both for the families of the assassinated young men, and the families of the assassins .

I attended the Saturday  viewing for awhile, but could not stay for the whole funeral service, owing to another previous commitment   I was struck by the great involvement of all.   Artem's family is Russian Orthodox.  Shadi's family Muslim.  ( I would have attended the Muslim service but was unaware of it's timing).    Artem's  Troop is chartered by the  Presbyterian Church where Artem's viewing and Funeral service was held. The Troop's Scouts did a grand job , ushering, directing traffic, helping everywhere.  I was told some of the Troop's Scouts were Buddhist, as there were also Buddhist monks in attendance. Interfaith co-operation?  What better example:  One's loss Is a loss to all.

When I sought out the family to express my condolences, it was unfortunately easy to identify the mother.  She was the one dressed in black, surrounded by men dressed in black, but she wore the "mom's ribbon" layered with all the Scout Rank Symbols (Silver Eagle topmost) on it.

I had some good conversation with some Muslim attenders, we spoke of Scouting (one lady said she was a Cub Scout and Girl Scout leader).   We exchanged business cards, her son spoke up  incredulously: "mommy, YOU have a CARD??"  

It is unfortunate that the more frequent deaths by gunfire in other places often do not seem to merit the same attention, or the same analysis.  Any  human life is still important in God's view.

See you on the trail....

• Upvote 1

An update. Appears one of the young men killed may have robbed a girl friend of one of the men charged. The Eagle Scout may have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Police: 3 arrested in double-slaying of Maryland teens

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/18/police-3-arrested-in-double-slaying-maryland-teens.html

Edited by Back Pack
  • 1 month later...

An update. Appears one of the young men killed may have robbed a girl friend of one of the men charged. The Eagle Scout may have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Police: 3 arrested in double-slaying of Maryland teens

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/18/police-3-arrested-in-double-slaying-maryland-teens.html

Sad, but many people never learn to be careful who they hang out with. The Eagle scout will never have that opportunity now.