What The Heck Is A Dude?

In another thread someone used the word Dude.

Some years back I think there was a rock group called Mott The Hopple or something like that, anyways they had a hit with All the young dudes.

I have no idea what a Dude is?

Do you know?

Eamonn

All the young dudes

Carry the news

Boogaloo dudes

Carry the news

Mott the Hoople or something like that? Puh-leeze, they were from your side fo the pond. By the way, that song was written by David Bowie.

"Dude" has meant many things over the years. At one time, it referred to a city dweller who was out of his element in a rural setting ("That dude don't know how to set a horse"). It also meant a sharp dresser ("Bob's such a dude, he gets a new hat every week"). It also came to mean simply "a man" ("Some dude was looking for you.")

Within recent history, it followed the usage of "man" in many instances. Whereas we oldsters would say, "Man! That's a snazzy car" youngsters might say, "Dude! That car is sweet!"

Dude is also used as an expression of appreciation or that something is, as we used to say, "Cool". For example, if I said, "Hey, I have a date with Heather Locklear!" my buds might respond with "Dude!"

However, my local expert on youth speak tells me that "dude" is falling out of favor.

Now that I've rambled on about "dude," in the context of the song, "dudes" are simply men, usually cool and hip.

Gee who would ever use the term Dude?

Last weekend we had 3 15 years old, a 16 year old, a 17 year old, and 2 23 year olds at the house. We had a discussion about what dude meant. It has many meanings depending on how it was said, inflection of voice means alot. It could mean, you rock, that was not very bright, I concur, that was lame, I beg your pardon, etc...

In this little part of the country, dude could be male of female.

In my neck of the woods and my era, dude has always been an insult; meaning, besides being a city slicker, but also a gelding. To be called one, or to call another male "dude" during one's times of studhood was an open invation to a Donny Brook...needless to say, the local denist and sawbones loved us idiots....

Dear Advanced Geriatric Excessively Adipose Disposed "Dude",

Sorry if I confused you, lets put it this way, in the scenario you describe I think "Dude" means "in your wildest deams"

BTW, the scene in "Dude, Where's my Car" where the two leads discover each has a tattoo on their back, received during a "Lost Night" is priceless and a modern rendition of Abbot and Costello's "Who's on first. The first guy has the word DUDE on his back and the other the word SWEET

Dude, you have a tattoo on your back

Wow, So do you

What's mine say

Dude

Whats mine say

Sweet

No, I mean whats mine say

Dude,

No whats mine say

Sweet

Etc, Ect, Etc,