Keep an eye on your scouts!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so using DoD recommended combination of Permethrin treated clothing and properly applied DEET, we made it through the weekend at Camp tick free.  At a minimum, Perrmethrin treated boots and socks just

Polio - vaccine - now.  But in the 1940's an early 1950's there was no vaccine.  Parents were scared to death.  Kids died or were crippled for life.   This virus - none.   Aren't you being a littl

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/03/13/lyme-disease-soars-in-michigan-as-tick-populations-grow.html

I spend a lot of my time as a youth in the woods and I never saw a tick until the 1980s. I don't know the facts, but I also never saw a deer until the 1980s and now they are a road hazard.

Barry

I'd wager when you were a youth, we used DDT and eradicated much of the disease borne pests which kept kids free from such diseases. 

Polio - vaccine - now.  But in the 1940's an early 1950's there was no vaccine.  Parents were scared to death.  Kids died or were crippled for life.

This virus - none.

Aren't you being a little hard on parents?

The only saving grace is that there was 75 known cases in the whole of the US over the course of 10 years.  That's not a lot. 

I've seen more ticks this year than ever in the past.  My son and I were helping out on an Eagle project and found 10 ticks that hitched a ride -- including finding two in my car three days later.

so using DoD recommended combination of Permethrin treated clothing and properly applied DEET, we made it through the weekend at Camp tick free.  At a minimum, Perrmethrin treated boots and socks just makes sense, and every scout troop should both be aware of it, and utilize it.

• Upvote 2

Instead of the dorky pants tucked into socks look, some say using flea/tick collars work as sock garters. I just go with cheap dorky so I don't know how well the collars work.

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

Instead of the dorky pants tucked into socks look, some say using flea/tick collars work as sock garters. I just go with cheap dorky so I don't know how well the collars work.

Hey, that was me! ;) What makes you think flea/tick collars around one's ankles are not dorky as well? :D

Since it's hard to prove a negative, we will never know for sure but I never had a tick as a youth. 

Careful with flea collars. I had a ton of friends use them in the 80s and 90s. Heck one friend wanted them in care packages when he was deployed. 

Unless you were allergic to whatever it is on them. I tried it, and I had major problems with blistering on my legs where the collars were.