Obscure Summer Camp Must Haves

Camping on the east coast in the rather humid mountains, we were advised to bring those moisture absorbing things you could put in footlockers. Kept the moisture out and nothing felt wet, damp or smelly. In fact, one kid had one for his wet bag and when he opened his truck back home there was hardly any smell or dampness.

Well, scratch 'cloth laundry bag' from my original reply!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The camp item that is forgotten more and used less - bar of soap. 

I just wanted to say thank you all for the wonderful advice. They made it back today and used lots of what was on this list. The gold bond tip was a godsend - some of the others didn't feel the need t

Gold Bond Medicated Powder.

Well, scratch 'cloth laundry bag' from my original reply!

ROFL...I don't live on the east coast any more so concept of humidity hits me faster than it used to. I used to be able to handle the humid nights and huge mosquitoes on Assateague Island. Now the thought of anything over 20% humidity gives me the sweats. You east coasters and mid-Atlantic boys might be less sensitive to it then I am. ;)

• Upvote 1

Some of the wet bags used by canoeist and kayakers tend to be a bit on the heavy side because they are to be water proof and durable.  Kind of a trade off thing.  One doesn't need a big bag, they come in multiple sizes and are 100% waterproof.

The thread about ticks made me remember, when I was a scout in the South, we used to put dog tick collars around our ankles. Depending on where you are camping, it might not be a bad idea. 

Tuck your pants into your socks.  Looks dorky, but it works.   There's a reason scouters used to wear gaiters.

Wear a full brimmed hat, they will drop out of trees.  Campaign hat used to be standard equipment.

Pull the necker tight.

Duct tape your sleeves shut.

Zippered garments work better than buttoned ones.

And TUCK YOUR SHIRT IT AND WEAR A BELT.

Edited by Stosh

Light color clothing so ticks are readily seen, and staying on open trail works thus avoiding brush contact, mostly works for me.

Firewood gathering and making a nature call often resulted in ticks. With stoves there is less of the former.

Be prepared by first being aware.

My $0.02

Edited by RememberSchiff
Wear a full brimmed hat, they will drop out of trees.

Maybe if your trees look like grass, and you rub it like an elk.

I've never heard an entomologist say that ticks jump out of trees. Ticks do not jump or fly. Most of their pray is about 18" off the ground so they stay around there. Ticks are in grass and once they get on you they walk upwards till they find a good place to bite. Lots of ticks like scalps.

• Upvote 1

Col. :)  Love it.  But that's too cool of an outfit although being prepared is half the battle.

The brimmed hats aren't because ticks jump.  We have a lot of ankle (tucked socks) and belt area covered (shirt tucked in) but the deeper the brush the higher they climb.  Brushing up against tall bushes opens up opportunity.  Thus the number of ticks on hands and arms.  Ticks are advantageous, they hang around brush, not trees.  Deer and animals walking along game trails is their ambush of choice. 

Of course scouts picking up dead fall and carrying it in their arms, produces just as many, if not more.

• Upvote 1

The deer tick with Lyme's takes 5-6 hours to infect.  This new one is on the wood ticks and takes only a matter of minutes.  The bad part of it is, it's a virus and can't be treated.  That's the part that makes it so bad.

I haven't tried it so I can not attest to it's validity, but I know vanilla deters gnats and I have heard that peppermint deters ticks.  Youtube video shows putting a drop of peppermint oil on an embedded tick caused it to back out.  Haven't tried it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thank you all for the wonderful advice. They made it back today and used lots of what was on this list. The gold bond tip was a godsend - some of the others didn't feel the need to bring it and are suffering this weekend! He's exhausted but already talking about the next trip. :happy:

• Upvote 3