Obscure Summer Camp Must Haves

Darn it ! now i am missing going to camp.  Cold showers, 100+ degree heat, followed by thunderstorms, pancakes  so hard we could have used 'em to shingle the dining hall,  I still miss it :(

Edited by Oldscout448
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The camp item that is forgotten more and used less - bar of soap. 

I just wanted to say thank you all for the wonderful advice. They made it back today and used lots of what was on this list. The gold bond tip was a godsend - some of the others didn't feel the need t

Gold Bond Medicated Powder.

I honestly loved being a CIT last year. I am now working in the kitchen. There is only 1 returning kitchen staff member.

what are your CIT/Camp staff stories or experiences?

So I decided my tall skinny body should do the mile. At our camp we swam 1/2 of a mile then we did the mile the next morning. It was my last week to do it. I was determined. I wake up to do it. My tent mate does it as well. So we have to swim to a buoy and back twice. (It is 1.1 - 1.3 miles 2 times) I spend the next 1 and a half hours swimming slowly. I once came close to quitting. so moral of the story don't give up?

Try something new if you can. At tesomas I did black powder shooting and zip lining. As well as fishing.

Thank you all so much! Many of these things...I wouldn't have even considered. A few of these, he took last year to 4H camp (some were used, some were not.) I forgot to note he will be staying in barracks? instead of a tent at this particular camp but I have no idea how enclosed it is or any of that. He was preparing to bring a tent until someone corrected us on it a few days ago. He loves his tent but I imagine this won't be too bad. :D

Yes, and tell him how to use it.  The stuff in the orange bottle not the green

Alright, no laughing at me. Is this for chafing? I kept seeing it suggested when we packed for Disney last year for that so gonna assume here (yes, I know what assuming does sometimes) that's what it would be for here, too. At the time I bought a bar of (the name escapes me) that was for that specifically and it worked great but my sons & husband didn't use it.

Alright, no laughing at me. Is this for chafing? I kept seeing it suggested when we packed for Disney last year for that so gonna assume here (yes, I know what assuming does sometimes) that's what it would be for here, too. At the time I bought a bar of (the name escapes me) that was for that specifically and it worked great but my sons & husband didn't use it.

Yes this is for chaffing.  Apply it underarms and crotch areas.  The green bottle has menthol and if you are already chaffed if is not a pleasant experience.

No worries, ask away. 

Yes this is for chaffing.  

In that line of thought - DON'T BRING cotton underwear.  Ex-officio underwear is great for Scout camping and for any summer camp where kids (and adults) will be exercising in the outdoors.

In that line of thought - DON'T BRING cotton underwear.  Ex-officio underwear is great for Scout camping and for any summer camp where kids (and adults) will be exercising in the outdoors.

Amendment: Don't bring cotton ANYTHING except for sleep wear. Cotton does not dry fast or well, holds odors and will mildew fast.

The Gold Bond menthol is the best thing in the world for feet after a long day's hike or even walking around in boots all day.

Chaffing is always a problem in he heat.  This stuff is good for that, but again, the cool feeling of the menthol on the back of the neck feels great.

I carry both the green and gold bottles.

Wool has been suggested for the material of choice, I concur, BUT there are a few folks out there that are genuinely allergic to wool, In that case polypropylene undergarments are a must.  If that is not available or in one's price range, nylon is a bit clammy, but does the job.  I have used men's thin, dress, nylon socks in place of poly socks, and they do just fine.  I'm not allergic to wool, and still like the feel and utility of nylon or poly.

I am working in the kitchen at a camp and I don't know what to expect. We have no A/C Can anyone give me a few pointers? 

Make sure you take one or two bandanas and baseball cap/hat of some sort.  If you're in the kitchen you will have access to ice.  Bandana on your head to protect it from the ice and then a hat over to hold it in place.  Let it melt and when it's gone add a bit more ice.

It works on the opposite dynamics of wearing a stocking cap when sleeping outdoors in the winter.  You will lose most of your body heat through the thin skin of one's head.  Revers it  and cool the blood flowing to your head and it will in turn cool your torso.

• Upvote 1

Kitchen duty:   Fancy apron, or two. Or three!    Silly hat.  Sunglasses.  Promote the same from the rest of the crew.   If it ain't fun, the quality of the food will suffer, even more !

Make sure everything is CLEAN , every day.   Sing a cleaning song....