About 50% of all copper telephone circuits are still in service.

I live in a cell phone black hole.  No service.  .5 mile away, yes.  Here, no.

Edited by TAHAWK
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the things I think we're missing in our analysis is the sheer size of the marketplace we're now competing in.  Youth today have a much wider array of choices of ways to entertain and occupy the

This all started by the suggestion of using the Eagle as a Gold Standard to represent Boy Scouting. Flag suggested that by raising the qualifications for Eagle, the Gold Standard perceived by the publ

Actually the world did change. Two big changes: both parents having to work full time, and fear.   When I was a kid (and in scouts), almost the whole neighborhood had stay at home moms. Those that d

More money (services, phone upgrades), less maintenance costs with cells for service providers. No surprise,  service providers want out of land line business. ATT wants to drop landlines. Here is a story about Illinois.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-att-landline-phone-service-0507-biz-20170503-story.html

I have not seen a public phone in years.

They stopped being profitable.  In Ohio, one is required in each exchange area (first three numbers of seven).   I know where ours is - 3.5 miles away in the lobby of a Giant Eagle market.

They stopped being profitable.  In Ohio, one is required in each exchange area (first three numbers of seven).   I know where ours is - 3.5 miles away in the lobby of a Giant Eagle market.

One pay phone is required in each exchange area?  Does the State of Ohio provide this service itself, or does it compel someone else to do so?  And if so, how?

Local incumbent carrier, mostly Ohio Bell telephone Company, DBA "AT&T", has to provide the service by order pf the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio. Plenty of spare parts from sets pulled out and not junked.

Cell phone non-essential? Who still has a land line?

Yes, a cell phone is NOT an essential. Your 5th grader does not require a cell phone. Your 8th grader does not require a cell phone. Parents may need them in lieu of a land line, but it is not a necessity for every person in your house to posses one...especially if it means choosing between that and healthcare, food or other essential items.

So substitute your land line for a cell phone. Fine. That is different from equipping every member of your household with a cell phone. That's a needless expense comparatively. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry to derail the phone discussion. saw this today... As far as jobs go... that might not be a deterrent for Alabama boys... might just be easier to stick with scouts, at least if theyre going to try and mow laws. 

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/06/01/some-alabama-teens-will-be-required-to-obtain-costly-business-license-to-cut-grass-this-summer/

Edited by Gwaihir