Question about Cyber Chip (6th graders who earned it previously)

Hi all,

I had a question about the cyber chip, in regards to my scout who bridged to Boy Scouts this year. Right now, he is working on the Scout rank and is still in 5th grade. I understand that since his re-charge from Cub Scouts is still good, it will count.

My question is, when August rolls around and he's a 6th grader, once his Cyber Chip expires (a month or so later,) does he do the Boy Scout re-charge or does he have to do the full Boy Scout Cyber Chip requirements, since it's a new patch/chip? I would assume the latter but everyone I've asked so far has given me conflicting responses.

Thanks!

I would think you would want him to step up to the next level Cyber Chip requirements to ensure he learns the next level of online safety.

I agree. The thing that was hanging me up was the boy scouts from last year did not complete the parts that required working with their troop (I know this from speaking to a few parents) but have their Scout rank completed. Hence my confusion with it all. I'll suggest my son talk it over with his scout master (or patrol leader? still learning the hierarchy here) when that time comes.

I do know the requirements changed from 3rd to 4th grade, I believe it was, but since the patch/chip stayed the same, our den only did the re-charge. Looking back maybe they should have did all the steps (instead of the re-charge?) but a bit late now to think about it, I figure. So much conflicting info online too, I wish it was a little more clear (for me, anyways.)

Thanks as always for the input!

Every troop does things differently. In my troop, if a 5th grader is working on Scout and has the 5th grade Cyberchip from Cub Scouts, they already earned the cyberchip and thus do not have to re-earn it. They won't need to do it again until working on Star.

• Upvote 1

The BSA has done a terrible job of making this known, but when a boy goes through the booklet with his parents/guardians a second or third time, it's called a "recharge," and there is a silver pin that he earns which is then affixed to his pocket patch. It's a nice little pin too! It's just too bad nobody is really aware of its existence. And it makes sense too; it's good to go over the material frequently, but simply re-earning the award seems redundant. So here for everybody's enlightenment is the pin that a boy should be earning whenever he "recharges" his Cyber Chip Award:

cyberchiprecharged_zpstqykvwdd.jpg

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 1

More in line with your question though, A boy SHOULD complete the full set of requirements for the Boy Scout Cyber Chip as soon as he crosses over; not only is it wise to cover the materials in depth, but in today's intensely media-driven environment, a boy can never get enough training on internet protection. When it comes to safety, including internet safety, I have one motto - when in doubt, go all out.

• Upvote 2

I think that when the made the Cyber Chip a requirement for Rank advancement, the needed to revamp the program to make it more group friendly. I am the MB Counselor for Digital Technology, and that was a stumbling block during our Council's Merit Badge University, since it is basically an individual award earned at the Troop level.

• Upvote 1

Not to mention a needless, silly and misplaced attempt to teach kids about cyber security. What they should have done is revamp the program to cover pertinent, age-appropriate cyber security skills. The program as it stands is well below the average youth's level of experience.

• Upvote 2

Colonel- I absolutely agree. I work in a DoD research facility. I absolutely add to the curriculum (not the requirements, as that would be wrong) about things like creating strong passwords, watching for phishing and other scams, the importance of good (and up to date) antivirus software and firewalls, etc.

• Upvote 1

Colonel- I absolutely agree. I work in a DoD research facility. I absolutely add to the curriculum (not the requirements, as that would be wrong) about things like creating strong passwords, watching for phishing and other scams, the importance of good (and up to date) antivirus software and firewalls, etc.

LOL, our paths may have crossed. At very least I have designed some of the facilities that you and yours may use.  ;)

You hit the nail on the head. I just wish the folks in Irving would utilize some of the technology folks in that area to help create a real and viable program for the boys. Heck, you have TI, HP, CA and a host of other tech companies there.

Every troop does things differently. In my troop, if a 5th grader is working on Scout and has the 5th grade Cyberchip from Cub Scouts, they already earned the cyberchip and thus do not have to re-earn it. They won't need to do it again until working on Star.

So once they start working on star, they would do the entire list for Boy Scouts cyber chip? Inbetween Scout and Star, if their previous cyber chip expires, do they just leave it expired until working on star? I'm realizing as you said many do it differently. Trying to see what all options there are.

The BSA has done a terrible job of making this known, but when a boy goes through the booklet with his parents/guardians a second or third time, it's called a "recharge," and there is a silver pin that he earns which is then affixed to his pocket patch. It's a nice little pin too! It's just too bad nobody is really aware of its existence. And it makes sense too; it's good to go over the material frequently, but simply re-earning the award seems redundant. So here for everybody's enlightenment is the pin that a boy should be earning whenever he "recharges" his Cyber Chip Award:

cyberchiprecharged_zpstqykvwdd.jpg

Our Pack honored this concept, as I was the awards chair and made sure each year a scout got their re-charge if they previously earned the cyber chip. :) My question was more along the lines of your second reply, though, if he should just go ahead and do the who thing over as a boy scout, with the boy scout requirements. His next meet is this coming Monday so it will be addressed! Thank you for your input. :)

• 3 weeks later...

THIS is how it happened for my son after he crossed over. He is now working on Star rank and there is a cyber requirement he needs to complete.