Merit Badge Worksheets

Go to solution Solved by CNYScouter,

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BSA discourages use of unofficial merit badge worksheets https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2015/01/13/merit-badge-worksheets/

Thanks, CNYScouter; I hadn't seen these official BSA comments until your post.   Soapbox time:  IMHO the worksheet project is one of the most infamous examples of "the road to hell is paved with goo

Oh, sweet mercy...   Do your sons and daughters like the homework sheets they bring home from school? I think not   Why in the name of all that's good do you want them to use homework sheets for

When my son did Game Design merit badge, we didn't have a copy of the book and wanted to start reading it.  Lo and behold, we found a bootleg PDF of it online, and he did read most of it online.  We did buy a copy, but it was a matter of having time to read it.

One of the ironic parts of it was that he read from a bootleg copy the importance of intellectual property.  It's possible that I might have "forgotten" to go buy a copy, but reading the section about intellectual property was enough to guilt me into remembering.

IMHO, the books are too expensive, and they ought to be made available online for free or a much more reasonable price.  For some merit badges, the book is important.  For others, I don't think there's much reason to have a scout read it.  For example, I'm not sure what one would get out of reading the Swimming merit badge book.

One would think that if BSA got out of Luddite Mode they could "sell" the MB books through a paid download process.  Without the glossy expensive printing costs, they could cut the cost, include worksheets, and have the latest-and-greatest version of the booklet available in real time.  It they had 5 minutes they could call up the Kindle people and see how nifty this works. 

One would think that if BSA got out of Luddite Mode they could "sell" the MB books through a paid download process.  Without the glossy expensive printing costs, they could cut the cost, include worksheets, and have the latest-and-greatest version of the booklet available in real time.  It they had 5 minutes they could call up the Kindle people and see how nifty this works.

Or an app with the pamphlets accessible that way. The new electronic pamphlets could include tutorial videos, or links to access the video via youtube which could then generate ad revenue. Lots of ways to make them 21st century.

Or an app with the pamphlets accessible that way. The new electronic pamphlets could include tutorial videos, or links to access the video via youtube which could then generate ad revenue. Lots of ways to make them 21st century.

I wonder what the sales figures are on BSAs online MBPs (https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2014/09/03/merit-badge-pamphlets-leader-guides-fieldbook-now-kindle/)

Plus push notifications that MB requirements have changed or corrections have been made to pamphlet.  Green too.

Edited by RememberSchiff

It's in the annual report.

Okay, maybe I'm too impatient. But I didn't see anywhere in the 2016 Annual Report about online MB publication sales.

While we're talking about ease of use, why does any BSA online literature have to be in .pdf format?

ASCII text with jpeg images. HTML formatting with minimum style settings. That way the user could choose his own font. Downloads would be insanely fast. The sales model could be direct for pennies via national scoutshop accounts - not unlike magazine subscriptions ... bypassing the resellers.

All docs are likely in a desktop publishing or word processing format to begin with. You could port all Merit badge books in to a common portal, searchable, low storage and bandwidth format.

BSA won't because they want money and can't resist shines objects (the current interactive books).

With PDF format, it is more difficult to make changes to the material at the local level.  After all, if there are those out there putting copyright material on the internet illegally, they care capable of just about anything else.

With PDF format, it is more difficult to make changes to the material at the local level.  After all, if there are those out there putting copyright material on the internet illegally, they care capable of just about anything else.

Because, like, people aren't producing material ancillary to he MBPs already? And well-meaning scouters aren't recommending those to e boys instead of the MBPs?

If BSA makes the no-frills product available with an active registration (maybe via my scouting) for cents, not dollars, they might actually see an increase in revenue. Then we can provide better integrated service. The troop librarian could be informed of which MBs scouts are looking into, and make a plan to purchase hard-copies of the ones not already

There could be a "request a blue-card from my SM" button.

The SM could get a list of counselors nearest the boy's home or school.

Because other plajurists won't be able to provide those integrated services, the motivation for pirating is gone.

Ever ripped a CD? Ever saved a DVD to your hard drive? Added music to a presentation? Saved a song as an AAC or MP3 file and shared with someone? Ever posted a mime of a movie or famous picture? Ever watched parts of a movie or tv show on YouTube? Ever created that custom ring tone from a favorite song? Ever made a mixed tape? Ever used a non BSA licensed company to make a troop tshirt or Neckerchief?

C'mon, there's not a person on this forum who hasn't violated copyright law. Can we please get off our high horse as if you've never done it?

Edited by Back Pack
  • Downvote 1

Not knowingly..... with trying to live by the Scout Oath and Law (and 10 Commandments) the horse ain't all that high.

Really? I'll bet that isn't true. Reuse of most things requires approval from the content owner. If you've ever copied a an original work, even a one page sheet, you've potentially violated the law. Who's to say they troop who posts MB pdfs are "aware" of the law?

Heck, my district reprints copyrighted stuff all the time and hide beyond the educational use concept, which may not apply. Others use music in videos and presentations on YouTube or elsewhere without written permission.

Like I said, ou can hide behind nonintential use, but so can others. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse...or justification.

Edited by Back Pack