How do you sew on the Outdoor Activities Award?

Go to solution Solved by Stosh,

My son received his Outdoor Activities Award last night. I know that it goes on the right pocket flap but it covers the button. He uses the button and flap to switch out his temporary badges often so we can't lose the function of it. 

• Solution

Welcome to the forum!

Like the OA patch, sew it on the top and sides and along the bottom leaving it unsewn near the button just large enough to get your fingers in there to button the button.

• Upvote 1

That's a good one, makes the cub uniform look snazzy in my opinion...hope he wears it proudly

my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I believe that patch is also considered temporary,

but I do remember for sure that it needed to be re-earned each year...at least it did a few years back.

so it's not like it needs to be sewn on solidly

• Upvote 1

Thanks, BSA Heretic! I don't know why I didn't think to do that. I'm not sure what the OA patch is. My son is a Tiger so we I am still learning a lot about patches and placements, etc. 

That's a good one, makes the cub uniform look snazzy in my opinion...hope he wears it proudly

my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I believe that patch is also considered temporary,

but I do remember for sure that it needed to be re-earned each year...at least it did a few years back.

so it's not like it needs to be sewn on solidly

I agree! It really looks nice on the shirt. From what I understand according to the current guidelines on scouting.org, the patch is permanent but if they re-qualify in following years they earn a pin that goes on the patch. 

• Upvote 1

My boys were very excited to earn it. They worked hard and had a lot of fun. They respond really well to the outdoor activities. 5 of my 7 tigers earned it and I can't wait to see them on their uniforms along with their Tiger rank on Monday for our parade. I'm very proud of my tigers!

I agree! It really looks nice on the shirt. From what I understand according to the current guidelines on scouting.org, the patch is permanent but if they re-qualify in following years they earn a pin that goes on the patch. 

That is correct.  You earn the patch the first time you earn the award; every time after that you earn a Tiger Paw pin that can go anywhere on the patch.

• 1 month later...

Depending upon what the patch looks like, it may be a youth leadership patch, and you wouldn't wear it. If it is the one here:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsa/uniforms-insignia/insignia-cloth/other/leave-no-trace-trainer-emblem.html#.WWO67oTyucw

Then you are out of luck as it is the youth leader patch. Save it though as apparently they changed the name of the position. I think this may be the new POR patch http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsa/uniforms-insignia/insignia-cloth/required/emb-outdoor-ethics-guide.html#.WWO7coTyucw

If it the black rectangular ones from here https://lnt.org/shop/product/patchthen it's a temporary patch.