New BALOO training

Was catching up on some training info and learned that BALOO has just changed to a "blended" course.  

What caught my eye from the announcement is "...required to have at least one BALOO trained adult on every Cub Scout den or pack overnight outdoor event - including Pack Camping and Webelos Den overnighters" 

My understanding has always been BALOO for a pack overnight and OWL for a Webelos overnight.  This does make sense now I think about it - the content of BALOO is about planning the outing and the content of OWL is about individual outdoor skills.

I took the first module - it says the online portion should take about 3 hours.  Going to have to take the rest of the modules to see what it covers.  

Introduction to the E-Learning Portion of Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO)

Cub Scout leaders who are interested in adding a camping component to their Pack activities are required to have at least one BALOO trained adult on every Cub Scout den or pack overnight outdoor event - including Pack Camping and Webelos Den overnighters. BALOO training sets a unit up to carry out a successful camping experience for Scouts.

As of May 2017, BALOO training is now comprised of two components - an online component, and a practical, hands-on component. Both components must be completed to qualify as a "Trained" Cub Scout outdoor leader, and to receive the BALOO recognition patch.

The online component contains introductory and basic information, and must be completed prior to the practical component. The goal of the online portion is to make the best use of time to allow leaders to experience as much as possible during the practical hands-on training. Successful completion of BALOO training should increase the confidence level of a Cub Scout Leader, and promote a willingness to plan a Pack overnighter. Camping activities and outings that are fun, based on the purposes of Cub Scouting, and successful, often whet the appetite of the Cub Scout, his parents, and the leaders to desire more of the outdoors.

The online portion of BALOO is available around-the-clock on the BSA Learn Center by logging into My.Scouting.org.

As always, Scouting U continually strives to provide content you need - when you need it.

source: https://bsalearn.learn.taleo.net/learncenter.asp?id=178414&DCT=1&sessionid=3-92ADB4E3-3797-465A-8500-62EEE5E18F8E&page=2

Has anybody heard of any changes to OWL training?  Council Exec mentioned that OWL is now combined with BALOO.  I vaguely remember seeing some combined IOLS/OWLS training a while ago, but nothing regarding consolidating Baloo & OWL

I staffed Baloo a couple weeks ago for a guy who stays pretty current on everything.  It was same-o, same-o.  Used same syllabus as last year as "current."

Another district where I help has taught a "combined" course for years, but the OWL trainees stay for several extra hours after the Baloo folk are done.

I "took" a BALOO "course" at our most recent University of Scouting event, and it consisted of an older gentleman explaining that he didn't really think it meant anything but going over a few power point slides and grumbling about the system for about 90 minutes before signing our cards and declaring we had all "passed the course." It was the most pitiful training I have ever received, in any field. I will be glad to take the online portion so that I can at least get a sense of what I was supposed to learn at the training I was supposed to receive.

I "took" a BALOO "course" at our most recent University of Scouting event, and it consisted of an older gentleman explaining that he didn't really think it meant anything but going over a few power point slides and grumbling about the system for about 90 minutes before signing our cards and declaring we had all "passed the course." It was the most pitiful training I have ever received, in any field. I will be glad to take the online portion so that I can at least get a sense of what I was supposed to learn at the training I was supposed to receive.

A disgrace. 

Wow.

While my course was indoors at a UoS, there was minimal hands on stuff and no complaining. I only learned a new knot, and haven't used it since, but I'd been around the block a few times.

That sounds terrible. 

I took mine earlier this year, it was at the Scout reservation, was hands on, we had to perform skits, cook our lunch in foil packs, demonstrate knowledge of 4 knots, go over camp fire program, sleep gear, first aid kits, etc.  I knew most of the stuff camp wise being a cub and boy scout, but I felt it was a fairly thorough training course. 

Yeah, that's what ours was touted to be as well in the flyers we got leading up to the day of UofS. It said we would be "outdoors engaging in exciting activities that prepare Scouters to work with Cubs in the great outdoors while teaching invaluable skills and tips to make your outdoor activities the best they can be!"

Needless to say, I wrote quite a few paragraphs detailing the falsehood of that advertisement when I got a survey in my inbox asking me to "please assess the quality of training you received," and "please indicate any improvements/changes you would like to see made in the training course offered on (date of program)."

I certainly so indicated, in what would be the equivalent of 7 pages of typed material detailing all of my grievances, from the false advertising to the thoughtless and apathetic trainer to the utter lack of useful training to the waste of money and time, etc. I received no reply of course, but I will certainly be poking my head in when they run the course again later this year. If there is no improvement made, I may take action to get the approval needed to just step in and teach the darn thing myself. Scouters deserve better than what is currently being 'offered' to them.

• Upvote 1

I received no reply of course, but I will certainly be poking my head in when they run the course again later this year. If there is no improvement made, I may take action to get the approval needed to just step in and teach the darn thing myself. Scouters deserve better than what is currently being 'offered' to them.

Our council has not (as long as Ive been involved) run a UofS but I assume it is somewhat like the Merit Badge University days that we have.  That is - some group other than "the council" organizes it and recruits the instructors.  If that is the case, you may not get any satisfaction complaining to the UofS folks.

But - please do reach out to the council training chair, express your frustration with the poor quality, the editorializing and (most important) the not following the syllabus.  Im sure if you offer to lend your experience, that you will find yourself with a shiny new Scouting hat to wear.  

Sadly (well, not really sadly except as it pertains to my particular situation), in my area University of Scouting is a council-run, council-funded (yet somehow still rather pricey) day of training for Scouters of all levels held at a local community college. They offer courses in everything from working with Scouts with disabilities to committee budgeting ideas to OA relations to implementing the patrol method ... essentially, participants can choose their schedule for the day and participate in 5-7 classes of training to help them in their efforts to run the Scouting program. It's actually a pretty good program, which made my experience all the worse - BALOO Training was supposed to take the place of a whole day of classes, and while I was stuck listening to a bitter old gentleman complain about the uselessness of trainings in general, I could see other classes getting up and playing games and having a great time learning and developing. And after his 90 minute spiel, we were "done!" And I paid full price to attend!

So, this travesty was all on the council. I can only assume he holds some drawn-out position of responsibility at the council level, and that he was asked or assigned to run the course against his will (he certainly seemed to imply that it was not his desire to be there at all). I am hoping they will be receptive to my offer if it turns out they really do need somebody to run the training. I can't fathom their allowing such a dreadful abuse of Scouters' time and money to continue. 

Edited by The Latin Scot

Baloo taught by one person would be suboptimal with the best one-person staff.   

And teaching while complaining about teaching?  Wow!  Whoever is in charge should be told what you experienced.  

there's a recognition patch now?  

I'm happy I got mine done 2 months ago.  I should still be good for another 2 years. 

Now there is - PM me for more information.