BALOO and District Camporee

I was told tonight, that If a District or Council holds a Camporee, which includes Cub Scouts, the you Do not have to have a Leader who is BALOO or OWL trained. Is this correct? I was told that at least one Leader, from a Unit, had to be BALOO trained, and they had to be in attendance.

Welcome to scouter,com

My understanding, BALOO training is for Cub Scout overnighters. An overnighter may or may not be a campout, e.g. museum overnighter.

Usually Cubs just visit a camporee during the day, while Webelos (older Cubs) might camp overnight with a Boy Scout troop.

Edited by RememberSchiff

Welcome to scouter,com

My understanding, BALOO training is for Cub Scout overnighters. An overnighter may or may not be a campout, e.g. museum overnighter.

Usually Cubs just visit a camporee during the day, while Webelos (older Cubs) might camp overnight with a Boy Scout troop.

This is my understanding as well.  You do not need BALOO if you're taking day trips.  

@jgmerrell Welcome to the forum.

One must always remember that whether the training is required or not, it's best to be trained.  I have a fear of heights and so I'll never rock climb.  But I took the training just in case my boys wanted to climb.  Now I know all the necessary information to insure my boys are safe with the program they are participating in.  I'll handle belay lines.  I'll help get the boys into harnesses.  I'll cheer them on, but I'll never do a climb.  :)

And.... I hope I never break a leg, but if someone next to me does.... I have the training!  :)

• Upvote 1

Baloo is required for Pack Overnighters, which are Pack organized events.  If it's a Council-organized camping trip (and a District Camporee is technically a "Council-organized" trip), it is not considered a Pack Overnighter so Baloo is not required (Owl is designed to help a Webelos Den Leader gain the skills to teach outdoor skills to Webelos - its not required for any campout).

That said, I agree with Stosh - the more training the better - you may not need Baloo for a Council (District) organized camping trip, but it wouldn't hurt.

• Upvote 1

""Baloo is required for Pack Overnighters, which are Pack organized events.  If it's a Council-organized camping trip (and a District Camporee is technically a "Council-organized" trip), it is not considered a Pack Overnighter so Baloo is not required""

As was said previously,  Webelos would need a OWLS trained leader, and might camp with the Scout Troop at the Camporee.  Other Cubs may visit and observe, but not camp over night there.

Our Council does "One and Son" (parent and cub, Dad and Lad, etc. ) camps at the local Council property, and do not require a Pack BALOO trained person in attendance at those, but they DO require the registration thru the Pack, I guess for registration purposes.

The home Troop loves to have Webelos come along on the Camporee, with a parent of course !   That way, the Parent gets an inoculation of Scouting the easy way !  Lots of gear to loan (tent, cooking, extra sleeping bag, etc.  ) so it's easy for a novice camper to come along the first time !