Question about dry camps at Philmot

@Back Pack There's this marvelous invention called duct tape.  Works well on leaky water containers.  I've even used it on my canoes.  Works wonders!  :)

Didn't work last summer for us. Tried several times.

His point is well taken, you can lose it, tear it, rip it, puncture it and then what? Never have a single point of failure when it comes to something as important as water. The smaller 1 litre bottles are easier to get to, pack and store as well. The larger ones are more cumbersome.

One thing not mentioned is pack size. This plays a big role in how much water you can carry, especially if a few guys have 65l packs and others have 80l. I'd make sure guys have at least 70l packs. Also, make sure they know how to pack for space (compression sacks).

Didn't work last summer for us. Tried several times.

His point is well taken, you can lose it, tear it, rip it, puncture it and then what? Never have a single point of failure when it comes to something as important as water. The smaller 1 litre bottles are easier to get to, pack and store as well. The larger ones are more cumbersome.

One thing not mentioned is pack size. This plays a big role in how much water you can carry, especially if a few guys have 65l packs and others have 80l. I'd make sure guys have at least 70l packs. Also, make sure they know how to pack for space (compression sacks).

One has to also remember that there is, or at least was, a pack weigh-in and the boys weren't allowed on the trek until they lightened the load to where they were capable of handling the weight.  I lightened my load to where I could carry it, but my two extra camel canteens were empty.  My pack was not full.  As soon as I could, I filled my extra water containers and figured if I had problems with too much weight I could always adjust the water weight.  On days I anticipated with dry campsites, I just struggled a bit more knowing it would be worth it.

One has to also remember that there is, or at least was, a pack weigh-in and the boys weren't allowed on the trek until they lightened the load to where they were capable of handling the weight.

There are scales there, and crews do weigh their packs, but there's nothing to stop anyone from hitting the trail with a pack weight they can't handle. That's done by the crew leaders...and far in advance of ever getting to Philmont.

The suggestion of not carrying a single-size water vessel that is more than 1 litre is a sound one; even with repair possibilities. You benefit from redundancy in the event that a container is lost, stolen or damaged. Cannot do that with a single large water bag. The individual ones take up less space, so they are easier to organize around other gear.

As far as pack volume, our guys are trained to store all personal gear in 1 x 20l compression sack. Sleeping bag goes in a 10l compression sack. That leaves more than half the volume for crew gear. We left our 8qt and 6qt pots at base camp. We boiled water in our 4 qt and simply ate out of the bag. The other half of the crew ate out of sierra cups.

After six trips out to Philmont, you find ways to "cheat the system" and reduce weight.

• Upvote 1

Our crew has decided that each crew member will carry an extra 2lt soft platypus bottle to deal with dry camps. We found that it is a manageable  weight to carry.  On our shakedown hike we also found that they were useful for hauling water when the shelters water source was a distance from the campsite.

• Upvote 1

I was having a senior moment before, Yes, I carried 2 - 2lt soft Platypus bottles on my trek.  Those extra 3-4 oz weren't noticeable unless filled for dry camp that night.

• 4 months later...

I realize this thread is relatively old, but we're planning a 2019 Philmont trip for our troop.  Something I've read elsewhere for dry camps is to eat your cooked dinner at lunch time near a water source.  Then eat your lunch for dinner at the dry camp.

This would greatly reduce the amount of water necessary at the dry camp since you'd need none for cooking and cleanup.

Also, while I understand that Philmont mandates the use of chemical purification, would it be a good idea to take a Katadyn BeFree just to clean up murky water?

Thanks!

I realize this thread is relatively old, but we're planning a 2019 Philmont trip for our troop.  Something I've read elsewhere for dry camps is to eat your cooked dinner at lunch time near a water source.  Then eat your lunch for dinner at the dry camp.

This would greatly reduce the amount of water necessary at the dry camp since you'd need none for cooking and cleanup.

Also, while I understand that Philmont mandates the use of chemical purification, would it be a good idea to take a Katadyn BeFree just to clean up murky water?

Thanks!

Officially Philmont recommends eating the meals in the order they are assigned. They claim it's for nutrition and needs based. Not sure if I buy it, but we followed their guidance on the matter. Often dry camps have some water source on the way to them so you don't have to hump the extra water excessively far. 

Officially Philmont recommends eating the meals in the order they are assigned. They claim it's for nutrition and needs based. Not sure if I buy it, but we followed their guidance on the matter. Often dry camps have some water source on the way to them so you don't have to hump the extra water excessively far. 

Hmmmm.  I did not know that.  While I strongly disagree with the concept of backpacking with giant pots, I get their reasoning and wouldn't challenge it.  This one I think is just something someone made up with no basis in reality.

I’ve been to Philmont the last two summer. They didn’t require use of purification tablets. If you had a filtration system you were fine. You might want a gallon water carrier or two to take to your dry site depending on your crew sizes and distance the next morning to water. We were glad we had one.

Philmont wants you to use their tabs to purify water. We used the tabs but also brought two Sawyer squeeze filters set up as granite filters. We had a lot of rain so most of the water sources we had was cloudy because of it. We used the filters to clear up the water and then used the tabs. At Philmont it is far easier to do as asked than buck the system.

Florida you often have to dry camp; many water sources are contaminated. I have carried 8 liters-it is heavy. I would add everyone needs to 'camel up' when you have a good water source and top everything off. Nothing worse for morale than running short of water. Been there, done that got the Scout leader dehydration patch. 

• Upvote 1