Yup,  Scoutson #1 switched when his first troop had an older  bully in a scout uniform who loved punching little scouts and the adults refused to do anything about it.   Cost me one buck.  Within a month scoutson was " one of the  gang"  I think the turning point was when he offered to help wash the dinner dishes even though it was not his job.     

Scoutson #4 also transfered when his SM refused to let the troop hold OA elections.  ( there is a long thread on this in the OA section )  Again everything turned out well,  Both eagled and made a lot of new friends.

I hope M. Javert is not causing a problem

Edited by Oldscout448
  • Upvote 1

There are all sorts of reasons to switch troops. Some troops don't fit. We've had a few go and a lot more come to our troop.

It gives some scouts a chance to grow up and start over. Or maybe the focus is wrong in one troop. We push campiing and other troops push advancement. Some scouts want different things.

With that said, one of the most critical things is for a scout to have friends. It's easier to make those friendships when scouts are young but finding the right mix of personalities is just as important.

Hardest thing is being humble enough to get used to how another troop does things.  Every troop is different.  You might be used to things being done one way, but then another troop does it different.  It takes time to get used to another troop.

• Upvote 1

Seen it done dozens of times.

This gives a boy a chance to discover that no matter where you go, there you are.

For some, that's a pleasant experience; others, not so much.

I switched troops when I was a youth. BEST.DECISION.EVER!  (emphasis) Original troop had some Scouter issues, and had a lot of verbal problems regarding leaders, i.e lots of yelling and cursing by PLs and Leadership Corps (today's venture patrol). I was not happy with the troop, and when they announced that my CM was going to be SM, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I had issues with the CM. 

As long as the boy transfers, which is quite easy to do for $1, I'm onboard.  Boys that simply quit scouting, easiest solution to the problem, I have my own problems with.  No boy should be leaving scouting because of the drama caused by troop politics.  Keep looking, as has been said, no two troops are alike.

• Before you leave your old unit get an electronic AND hard copy of all of your Scout's records (rank advancement, MBs, training, camping nights, service hours, leadership roles (and how much time left in his current role) special awards, etc.). This is important so he does not start from zero at his new unit. This can impact everything from leadership credit to OA election.

• Make sure any medical data you've given the old unit is either given back to you or shredded. You don't want your SSN or other personal data in someone's filling cabinet or worse, just tossed in the recycle bin.

• Make sure you know if you are owed any money by your old unit. If he's sold anything and been credited money that should be given back to the Scout unless it was part of a troop-based fundraiser.

• Give back any gear he might have that belongs to the troop OR make sure you get any gear the troop or other Scouts may have of his.

• Have your Scout write a thank you letter to the SM, TC Chair, the SPL and the Charter Org thanking them for their support during his time in the troop. This is a classy thing for a Scout to do regardless of the circumstances under which he is leaving the troop.

not only switched but we started a new troop.  There should be no issues for your son, as stated get all the records, pictures, from the previous troop.  The only negative I saw at the boy level was a couple of knuckleheads at camporee that thought it was funny to call him a traitor.  I spoke with the boys and the scoutmaster to nip that in the bud.  They thought they were being funny.  It was easy to solve.

The main negative has been from adults who took it personally and acted more childishly than the boys.  I talked to them one on one and told them that it isn't personal.  Just be prepared for someone to take it personally.  there isn't anything you can do to stop that.

• Upvote 1

Just be prepared for someone to take it personally.  

This is one of the hardest issues.  Scouting is very much about friendship and fellowship.  When people switch units, it is very very hard to not take it personally.  It's similar to a divorce followed by an immediate marriage.  It's really hard to not take it personally.  You can wish everyone the best, but personal feelings are hard to avoid.  

Be sensitive to feelings.

When people switch units, it is very very hard to not take it personally.  It's similar to a divorce followed by an immediate marriage.  It's really hard to not take it personally.  You can wish everyone the best, but personal feelings are hard to avoid.  

The main negative has been from adults who took it personally and acted more childishly than the boys.  I talked to them one on one and told them that it isn't personal.  Just be prepared for someone to take it personally.  there isn't anything you can do to stop that.

I find this interesting. We have people transfer in and out all the time. Most of that is because a lot of the parents are in the oil industry, and those folks move around a lot. So personal feelings are not an issue in those circumstances.

But even on those occasions where there is a transfer between local troops, we have never experienced any issues on a personal level. Everybody has always acted maturely and responsibly.

A couple of things I have not seen mentioned, though. The first is that it is my experience that the old troop is not always real worried about transferring records in a timely fashion. It's not malicious, just more of a "not their problem anymore" kind of thing. Second, not all troops keep accurate records. You need to make sure the records you do in fact obtain (when you obtain them) are complete and accurate.

This is particularly important if your scout is on a tight timeline with respect to advancement. We had one scout nearing his 18th birthday when we finally--after much prompting--got his records. He had achieved Life quickly, and then coasted into Eagle. So he was Life when he transferred and he spent some time in our troop. When we got his records, there were a lot of holes in it that we had to fill in rather quick fashion. And that was not a lot of fun.

This is particularly important if your scout is on a tight timeline with respect to advancement. We had one scout nearing his 18th birthday when we finally--after much prompting--got his records. He had achieved Life quickly, and then coasted into Eagle. So he was Life when he transferred and he spent some time in our troop. When we got his records, there were a lot of holes in it that we had to fill in rather quick fashion. And that was not a lot of fun.

This happened to us as well.

Barry

Have anyone transferred their scout from one troop to another? if yes, can you please share the experience, the positive/negative, etc ... Thank you.

Having seen transfers as an ASM, the transferred Scouts need to step up and be hardworking, and learn the ropes of the new troop ASAP.  Troop members form an opinion about the transfers on the first campout.

• Upvote 1

Just had a couple of scouts transfer out, and a couple transfer in. I'm happy that they all find the place that works best for them and stay in scouts because I believe it has value.

I just remember that they're not mine, I just get to help them out for awhile and enjoy watching them take those steps.

• Upvote 1