Push for Coed Scouting

... Research supports our premise that many girls learn best in an all-girl, girl-led, and girl-friendly environment where their specific interests and needs are met, ...

... research also shows that boys learn best in an all-boy, boy-led, and boy-friendly environment. ...

And in the last 100 years, almost every school, college, university and work place has gone co-ed.  Go figure.  

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it a La-moo-ze class?

Quite simple on that one. Scouting for Boys was written and the Scout and Guide movements started in Edwardian England. The idea that men and women would have the same rights, the same lives, the same

Have no fear, there are plenty of other all-boy options still on the table.  It may not be BSA, but there are plenty of other organizations that will continue on with separated programs. 

At  my age, switching to a co-ed program that already exists will be far easier than having to deal with the blind leading the blind of a new "pilot" program to test murky waters.

Found another article about this:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/boy-scout-leaders-discuss-offering-more-opportunities-girls-n754541

I know a region Venturing advisor I met at Jambo 2013, and I think she's down at the national office this week for a Jambo 2017 meeting. I'll reach out to her and ask if she's heard anything while she's there.

And in the last 100 years, almost every school, college, university and work place has gone co-ed.  Go figure.  

It does not follow from that fact that co-education is better for youth.

It certainly has robbed my sons of the privilege that I had of walking students from the women's colleges home after they had joined us in the University campus activities.

It does not follow from that fact that co-education is better for youth.

Agreed.  I just question the original assertions that single-gender programs serve each gender better.  Assertions are often wrong when opposite whelming numbers.

Had a discussion abut this with the DE last nite. Long Story short, he also said that the pros have been told it's coming.

But what is "it"?  Every pack and troop being required to accept girls?  I can think of one major nationwide CO that would probably finally "walk" over that one.  Or only in councils that want to do it?  Or "local option"?  Or what? 

Agreed.  I just question the original assertions that single-gender programs serve each gender better.  Assertions are often wrong when opposite whelming numbers.

I personally have no problem with coed education, but what "overwhelming numbers" show an improvement in the quality of educational service for the respective cohorts?  Overwhelming opinion is often wrong in hindsight.

• Upvote 1

@NJ,

Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts going coed. I am assuming, and you know what happens when you assume, ;) that it will be like the UK prior to 2007 or thereabouts: Units could be all male, all female, or coed.

@@Fred,

I don't have the stats in front of me, but give me some time I can probably find them, and even more current ones.

I know the coed school discussion came up regarding my private HS and other way back when, and they used the data to support staying all male. Also topic cmae up in my ed theory classes.

But what is "it"?  Every pack and troop being required to accept girls?  I can think of one major nationwide CO that would probably finally "walk" over that one.  Or only in councils that want to do it?  Or "local option"?  Or what? 

I think they want to make this change slow and agonizing :unsure:.  A fully coed Scouting program has been cussed and discussed amongst Scouters for at least the 45 years I have been connected with the program, so why rush it now, right?

For some reason, National seems much more hesitant to flip on this like they did on other membership issues. Also, I kind of detect more resistance to it in my contacts with other Scouters than I ever did with the more recent changes. Just my observation.

So, we wait....

I think they want to make this change slow and agonizing :unsure:.  A fully coed Scouting program has been cussed and discussed amongst Scouters for at least the 45 years I have been connected with the program, so why rush it now, right?

For some reason, National seems much more hesitant to flip on this like they did on other membership issues. Also, I kind of detect more resistance to it in my contacts with other Scouters than I ever did with the more recent changes. Just my observation.

So, we wait....

I think national is looking to find someone else to blame it on.  They want to do it, but they don't want to own the decision.

The rush now? Maybe the World Jamboree coming here.

My bet has been on World Jambo being the motivation for a pivot. Every WOSM event seems to return one more scouter to our district who thinks less of our unisex shenanigans. It seems to me that sending boy scouts to staff and World Jambo alongside their Canadian and Mexican counterparts would be a more organic way to influence key stakeholders.

Changing for the sake of World Jambo sounds like putting the cart before the horse.

Of course, the reverse is possible. BSA's scouts might make such an impression, that our friends to the north and south might consider going back to unisex movements.

My bet has been on World Jambo being the motivation for a pivot. Every WOSM event seems to return one more scouter to our district who thinks less of our unisex shenanigans. It seems to me that sending boy scouts to staff and World Jambo alongside their Canadian and Mexican counterparts would be a more organic way to influence key stakeholders.

Changing for the sake of World Jambo sounds like putting the cart before the horse.

Of course, the reverse is possible. BSA's scouts might make such an impression, that our friends to the north and south might consider going back to unisex movements.

That thing I highlighted in red seems like crazy-talk  :D  :D but stranger things have happened, I suppose.