Family Camping vs Parent/Son

My guess would be a council organized activity where one-on-one parent/son is not required.  At family camp, pack and council leadership take more active part in chaperoning the participants.  Parent/son is a one-on-one responsibility of the parent at the activity to watch their kid. Doesn't sound like siblings are at such outings. 

When I was WDL, I took my den on a weekend outing which is not on the chart,  Webelos overnight is, but weekend is not.  So I just required a parent for every scout, that's parent/son and that is allowed.  So, seriously, some of these "activities" of age appropriateness are based on adult participation and supervision requirements rather than what's an appropriate activity for someone of that age.

So with that in mind, I would say Family Camping is more council/district driven activities and Parent/Son is more open for activities because the parent, not the council/district, is responsible for the welfare of the scout.

In my council parent & son activities are district/council run. No siblings, no tag a longs, only one adult per child. Limits are due to space and to allow the greatest number of scouts to participate. Family camp can be unit/district/council run. Usually unit run. The entire family can come, mom, the sisters, big/little brothers, etc. Once even had a set of grandparents come out. Depending on location activities at both can be very similar - shooting sports, fishing, hiking, games.