Hello all, I just took over as scoutmaster a month ago. I have a scout midway into his eagle project. I was just informed that today in school this scout was caught  with illegal drugs. while liking into the details I have learned that this is the second time in 4 years that this boy was caught in school with illegal drugs. so my question is how would you handle this issue if it was one of your scouts? I do know how I feel about it and what actions I want to take however im open to incite on how to handle this. Thank you!! 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello, Dmward, and welcome to the forum. That's a lousy position to be in. But it says something that you're looking for ideas. Good for you.   I had a scout in a similar position a couple of years

My concern would mainly be in the area of 2nd offense on this issue.  I don't mind helping young people address the bumps along the way as they mature into adulthood, but when those efforts are useles

The big question ... What does your gut tell you?  You've known the scout for a long time.  I sense you are asking in this forum as you are saddened by what your gut tells you.   Every youth caught

Reach out to the parents.  Be gentle. Find out the real story is. That's a first step. Maybe a mid-rank SM conference (you can hold them at anytime according to GTA), find out what is going on with kid. 

I would do this out of concern for the Scout, plus the Scouts he is interacting with. 

Then, working  with parents, try and work out a game plan going forward of staying out of trouble, getting help, etc., but for Scouts only. Scout obviously has his own issues with school, courts, etc.. 

If Scout honors his end of the bargain,  I see no reason he can't be an Eagle. 

As Schiff says, Help Your Scout First. But I certainly wouldn't do without notifying parents. After all, he is minor. 

I wish you the best.  I've seen this situation and it's hard.  I'd have to ask a few questions (or more) to comment

• About the scout
    • How old is he?
    • Do you know the boy from previous years as troop parent, ASM or other?  
    • Is there someone you can ask about the boy's scouting career?
    • Does the boy want to be in scouts?  Or is he "parentally" driven?  
    • Does the boy value what scouts is teaching him?  
  • How is the boy affecting your troop?
    • Is he a good or bad influence?
    • Are current or future parents hesitant about your troop because of his actions?
    • Does he bring this stuff or behavior issues into your troop?

I ask these questions as you need to judge ...

• whether this is a minor issue that does not affect his scouting,
  • whether it delays his advancement 
  • whether it affects his membership

Generally, you need to take a hard line on somethings.  Hard line on the behavior is not acceptable in scouting.  If the scout can't work within those boundaries, he needs to find somewhere else to spend his time.  He can and will drive other scouts and their families away.  Bad behavior can be taught to other scouts.  

As for advancement, depending on the situation and how it's being handled you can delay advancement?  

This is really 100% a judgement call ... except for there needs to be a hard line.  The behavior is not acceptable in scouting.  Further, scouting is not part of someone's treatment plan.  You don't spend time in scouting to kick a habit.  We just don't have the resources to support such treatment.  But if you can function within expected boundaries, they you are fine.  

I wish you the best.  This is definitely a case where the details provide the guidance.

Edited by fred johnson
  • Upvote 1

I see no reason he can't be an Eagle. 

I fully agree.  Separate Eagle and his external punishment.  Be a friend.  It's not your job to punish the scout for external issues.

At best, I'd use "scout spirit" requirement.  Let him know it's hard to sign off that he's living by the scout oath and law when these things happen.  Perhaps, suggest a short window of time through which he can live by the oath and law.  Then, you would sign.  Overall though, be a friend.  Not your job to give further punishments.

But ... you do need to protect your troop.  We all want to help every scout, but a few bad scouts can kill recruitment, hurt retention and the troop's future.

Edited by fred johnson
  • Upvote 2

Hello, Dmward, and welcome to the forum. That's a lousy position to be in. But it says something that you're looking for ideas. Good for you.

I had a scout in a similar position a couple of years ago. You can search for the thread (search for "summer camp" "marijuana"), but the short version is this: He had already completed his eagle project, he took grass to summer camp, he was smoking in his tent (!), I was not at camp. When he got back we talked. I told him he had lost my trust and without that he was not going to get Eagle. He was obviously sorry about what happened, so I asked him whether he was sorry he got caught or sorry that he made a mistake. To me that was everything. If all he wanted to do was game the system then I wasn't going to put my signature on his eagle app. But, if he honestly thought he had made a mistake, then I was willing to work with him. The idea was that he had to figure out how to make it right and in order to do that he had to figure out why what he had done was wrong. The reason I asked this question is that I was in the same position you find yourself so I started asking around. One guy I talked to is my rabbi and he said it's really hard to see what's in someone's heart. Also, as fred johnson said, this is not acceptable behavior. There is no way I want any of my other scouts to think they can smoke weed at camp, make up some story about how sorry they are, and still get Eagle. The last thing I want is a kid gaming the system. At the same time every problem is an opportunity to grow. So my question was does this scout want to grow from his mistake?

He couldn't really answer that question. His parents kept interrupting and asking for a bullet list of items their son needed to do to make "it right." I wasn't so much interested in making it right as I was making him true. Anyway, I told the scout and the parents that it was up to the boy to figure out what that list of items was. The parents weren't too happy with that. The council thought I was being a bit harsh as well. The scout ended up switching troops and participating just like nothing happened (although I did tell the SM what had happened). Then the scout brought cigars to a camporee and lied about it. In the end the Council essentially said no, he will never get eagle and he will never participate in scouts again.

So, the big question is, what's in this boy's heart?

Good luck.

• Upvote 3

So, the big question is, what's in this boy's heart?

Good luck.

MattR's whole post has some really good advice. All I can add is that you approach him as a mentor willing to be there when he is willing to need you. The actions of a mentor are generated by the request of mentee. If the scout's heart isn't in it, he isn't requesting any action on your part.

Barry

Welcome to the forum.

First of all, the best figures I can find are that roughly 25% of 10th graders and 35% of 12th graders reported using Marijuana in 2016;  38% of 10th graders and 56% of 12th graders used alcohol, so probably every scouter on this forum with a significant number of high schoolers in their unit has a scout that has or does smoke pot --- you just have one that got caught.  

I agree with everyone that says focus on what is good for this scout and your other scouts.  The one thing you want to be sure of is that his poor behavioral choice does not happen during scout functions.  I'm not a big fan of searches, but I think it's woryh having the parents assure you that they'll examine his gear before any outing to ensure that nothing is coming to scouts with him.  i would leave punishment to  the civil authorities and work with him in scouts to make sure his transgression was an anomaly that he can demonstrate that, although like all of us he is capable of bad decisions, can he show that he is also capable of making good decisions.

I have sympathy for the kid, however we are talking about whether someone lived up to the Oath and Law (not to mention state and federal laws) in his daily life. Clearly not. Caught twice while a Scout?

Get him help. By all means, be sympathetic and help him recover. Pass him through the Eagle process? I wouldn't under these circumstances. If he gets help, shows he has changed and can demonstrate true recovery then maybe...maybe.

I would talk to your district and council to get their view. After all, it will come down to the EBOR and this will surely come out. Rather to get the district/council take now than wait until then.

• Upvote 1

Good advice from strangers on the internet. :sleep:

But, this is where you need to call on your depth chart. Identify the committee member (maybe the CC, maybe not) who is not related to this scout and who you can talk to as each twist in the problem arises. Or, a seasoned SM at your district round-table. (Your DE might be able to suggest someone.) Feedback is a gift.

Nothing worth doing in these circumstances happens overnight. And when it happens, it requires a lot of back-and-forth discussion.

The Eagle project? Sometimes it can still go forward in crises like this, sometimes it absolutely cannot. Depends on the facts on the ground, and you're only getting that data from people who know the beneficiary and know the scout and know how your school's "grapevine" works.

For example, in my school district, the scuttlebutt would have certainly reached every valley, including the beneficiary's by now. Two districts over, the story would have taken a far back seat to whoever is on the run from the last shooting incident. Our troop/crew has scouts from both districts. And, that makes a big difference in what the scout is up against.

• Upvote 1

@Dmward  Welcome to the forum.

Hello all, I just took over as scoutmaster a month ago. I have a scout midway into his eagle project. I was just informed that today in school this scout was caught  with illegal drugs. while liking into the details I have learned that this is the second time in 4 years that this boy was caught in school with illegal drugs. so my question is how would you handle this issue if it was one of your scouts? I do know how I feel about it and what actions I want to take however im open to incite on how to handle this. Thank you!! 

Lots of advice, but I need more information on what's going on.

Second offense... could be a deal breaker for me.  People learn from past mistakes, obviously this boy hasn't.

What drugs? Prescription? marijuana? Did he buy drugs or did he steal from someone's medicine cabinet?  Under-aged youth in possession of tobacco or alcohol can be construed as possession of illegal drugs.

Is he a user or a dealer?

One does not walk in and take over as SM from off the street.  How long have you known this boy?

Way too many questions to toss out advice.

Its worth asking the scout, in a non-judgmental way, why he has repeatedly chosen to use illegal drugs.  Not because he may have a good excuse (I'd be hard pressed to come up with a reason that would excuse a youth making this choice) - but because it may reveal deeper, more important issues that might need to be addressed.  A teenager using pot recreationally with friends is a different situation from crude attempts at self medication for depression or other mental illness.  It's most likely to be the former - but as an advocate for these youth, its at least worth having the discussion.  Approaching it from a standpoint of true concern and free of judgement is also a good way to build trust and rapport with the young man.