Iconic MayDay Scout image

Is that a political rally?

UK HQ actually organise officially sanctioned participant groups at the UK pride events. All seems very jolly fun and colourful.

You think it's not? It's a rally with a political purpose. It doesn't have to be in support of a candidate to be considered a political rally. The bsa has said as much.

Would you support a troop going to a "parade" of "whites only" celebrating white heritage? Come on, of courses it's a rally with a political purpose.

Edited by Back Pack
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

facism 1. (sometimes initial capital letter) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc.,

I invite you to wear a Republican elephant tee shirt and step on many college campuses, especially in California. You will be verbally and physically assaulted, threatened and even racially abused.

I think it's safe to say a gay pride parade is political no matter where you live around the pond

Let's give some slack on that line stretching across "the pond".

It is more common, that any gathering here quickly becomes political.  Why do I worry when any government official is invited to an Eagle banquet?

My perception

Macy's Thanksgiving Parade - not political

Boston St. Patrick's Day Parade - very political

My $0.02

You think it's not? It's a rally with a political purpose. It doesn't have to be in support of a candidate to be considered a political rally. The bsa has said as much.

Would you support a troop going to a "parade" of "whites only" celebrating white heritage? Come on, of courses it's a rally with a political purpose.

I think this is a trans atlantic difference. Equality for the LGBT community is just not considered a political issue here anymore. Sure homophobia and transphobia still exists, but it's a social problem on a par with racism and sexism. It's only political in so far as there are differences between politicians on what to do about it as opposed to there being any differences on the principle of equality for the LGBT community.

Let's give some slack on that line stretching across "the pond".

It is more common, that any gathering here quickly becomes political.  Why do I worry when any government official is invited to an Eagle banquet?

My perception

Macy's Thanksgiving Parade - not political

Boston St. Patrick's Day Parade - very political

My $0.02

I think it's safe to say a gay pride parade is political no matter where you live around the pond

• Upvote 2

I think this is a trans atlantic difference. Equality for the LGBT community is just not considered a political issue here anymore. Sure homophobia and transphobia still exists, but it's a social problem on a par with racism and sexism. It's only political in so far as there are differences between politicians on what to do about it as opposed to there being any differences on the principle of equality for the LGBT community.

I very much doubt that is true.  

• Upvote 1

I very much doubt that is true.  

Well here is an outline of the major political parties LGBT policies from the UK 2015 general election. The only parties not campaigning on a platform of looking to do something positive for the LGBT community were DUP (8 MPs exclusively in Northern Ireland where the mainstream parties don't even both fielding candidates because the political situation is barking mad) and UKIP with 1 MP, a single issue party that is now a non entity since the EU referendum last year. And frankly find me the UKIP voter who gave a monkey's about anything other than EU membership. That's in a total of 650 MPs

Seriously. You won't find a party with any realistic pretensions to holding power doing anything other than supporting LGBT equality. With the exception of parts of Northern Ireland it's a no longer a political issue here.

You are describing cultural purposes. Not political.

One is the celebration of permissive sexual ethics; the other, of a lack of melanin. :blink:

• Upvote 1