Catholic Diocese boots out GS

I think it has been an advantage for Catholic schools that we have had scouting programs.  We have been able to offer something that the public school doesn't have.  

I wish the scouting organizations hadn't made the decisions that have brought us to this junction.  

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only certain forms of discrimination are socially disfavored or, under certain circumstances, illegal.     BSA teaches "values," which often amounts to teaching discrimination in what company you ke

Where are all these progressive organizations to pick up the slack?

Well this sources seems to document so interesting things GSUSA councils have been involved in. Does not look like fake news.   http://mygirlscoutcouncil.com/events-hostedendorsed-by-gs-councils.htm

We used to have scouting programs with public schools as chartering orgs, some COs were PTAs. My troop still met at a public school with a "friends of xxx" as the CO. My current troop has a local civic org as the CO, yet we still meet at a local public school and use the school's facilities just like any other community organization.

I would like to know why there were 314 school openings.

Just like public school districts, Catholic schools (and other private schools) are not immune to demographic changes or to issues of building maintenance. 

Demographically, you have fewer people every year identifying themselves as religious or as part of a specific religious community.  Organized religions, particularly the more traditional churches like the Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, etc. are seeing their attendance drop as people decide that while faith may be important to them, church isn't or members decide to go to the mega-community-church down the road that is so popular (and doesn't have a school).  That's only part of the story.  Another demographic part of the story is changing neighborhoods.  School age populations can shift neighborhoods - it happens with public schools too - most of the new students might come from the new housing developments at the edge of town while the central neighborhood that has the school becomes mostly childless.  Sometimes you end up closing that school and building a new one where the students are. 

Sometimes, the school building itself is just too old to be useful as a school anymore.  Sometimes it's better to replace an old school with a more modern school if the roof needs to be replaced and its going to cost you $1.5 million to do so - maybe it makes no sense on the face of it to spend $8-10 million on a new school when you would only spend $1.5 million to re-roof it but sometimes its like an old car.  Replace an alternator this year may not be a bad thing as long as it's the only part you're replacing and alternator this month, brakes the next month, shocks the next month it might be better to just trade it in and get something newer.  You need to evaluate the future not just the now - if I think I'm going to have to replace the roof this year, and the HVAC system next year, and the plumbing system the next year - it may be best to bite the bullet and just replace the building.  So if that happens - you have a school opening.

So nope - seeing that there were 314 school openings the same year there were more than 1,600 closings just doesn't surprise me.

One thing about Boy Scouts is each troop reflects the views of the CO. For example, a Jewish synagogue's scout troop would do meals kosher. A Mennonites group would have strict rules on clothing and language. From what I understand, the girl scouts years ago dropped any references to God in their oaths. Most gs camps do not have chapels or sites reserved for religious services.

So I see no problem with a church dropping GS since the 2 groups see things differently.

Girls of all grade levels can now earn the My Promise, My Faith pin, which complements existing religious recognitions and allows girls to further strengthen the connection between their faith and Girl Scouts. Once each year, a girl can earn the My Promise, My Faith pin by carefully examining the Girl Scout Law and tying it directly to tenets of her faith. Requirements for this pin are included in The Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting for all levels.

My Promise, My Faith Fact Sheet (PDF)

One thing about Boy Scouts is each troop reflects the views of the CO. For example, a Jewish synagogue's scout troop would do meals kosher.

Actually, some would, some wouldn't.

From what I understand, the girl scouts years ago dropped any references to God in their oaths. Most gs camps do not have chapels or sites reserved for religious services.

Your first sentence is not correct. The Girl Scout Promise:

On my honor, I will try:

To serve God and my country,

To help people at all times,

And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

What I believe GSUSA has done (although I couldn't find it easily online) is to say that a Girl Scout who has issues with saying the word "God", whether because she is an atheist or agnostic or a member of a religion that specifies a different word, may refrain from saying the word or substitute a different word. (Or something like that.) But "God" is still in their Promise.

I don't know about chapels or sites "reserved" for religious services. The BSA council camp that our troop usually goes to does not have a "chapel" either. I believe they have services in the dining hall. I remember that when I was a Scout there were camps that had religious services outdoors. So I don't think the absence of a "chapel" means anything.

So I see no problem with a church dropping GS since the 2 groups see things differently.

I see no problem with any non-governmental organization declining to sponsor any other organization, regardless of whether they "see things differently" or not.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 1

Religious Recognitions

Created by national religious organizations to encourage the spiritual growth of youth members, religious recognition programs reinforce many of the values integral to Girl Scouting and help girls grow stronger in and learn more about their chosen faith.

Each religious organization develops and administers its own program. The brochure "To Serve God" (PDF) lists the religious recognitions created by various faith groups. You can find this brochure, a video explaining religious recognition programs, and other resources for collaborating with faith communities at P.R.A.Y. Publishing.

Some religious organizations are not affiliated with P.R.A.Y. or may not have a national office. To learn about their religious recognitions, contact local leaders.

Girls of all grade levels can now earn the My Promise, My Faith pin, which complements existing religious recognitions and allows girls to further strengthen the connection between their faith and Girl Scouts. Once each year, a girl can earn the My Promise, My Faith pin by carefully examining the Girl Scout Law and tying it directly to tenets of her faith. Requirements for this pin are included in The Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting for all levels.

My Promise, My Faith Fact Sheet (PDF)

You say "can now earn". How long has this been out there? No girls I know in GS have ever earned this pin.

As I understand it many of the complaints about GS was the lack of Christian women in the group. For example this writer points out that of all the women it chooses to set as examples, none are conservative christian. They only recently, and begrudgingly, added Sarah Palin.

"The new Girl Scouts My Promise, My Faith pin invites girls in grades K-12 to experience a faith journey through exploration of the Girl Scout Law and teachings from their faith.  Girls can earn this national pin each year."

"Girls of all grade levels can now earn the My Promise, My Faith pin developed by Girl Scouts of the USA in 2011. This pin, which girls can earn once a year, complements existing religious recognitions and allows all girls to further strengthen the connection between their faith and Girl Scouts. A girl earns the My Promise, My Faith pin by carefully examining the Girl Scout Law and directly tying it to tenets of her faith. Requirements for this pin are included in The Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting for all levels, but a summary of the award requirements are below:"

"Although it is a secular organization, GSUSA has several religious awards troop members can earn, and in 2011 it developed an additional award, a pin titled "My Promise, My Faith," which girls can earn "by carefully examining the Girl Scout Law and directly tying it to tenets of her faith."

On April 28, the "My Promise, My Faith" pin was to be highlighted at a national celebration of all the faiths represented in the Girl Scout community at the National Episcopal Cathedral in Washington.

"As a spiritual resource for our nation, the cathedral is a great and beautiful edifice in the city of Washington, and an indispensable ministry for people of all faiths and perspectives," said a Girl Scouts announcement about the interfaith event.

Organizers planned to recognize girls who had earned the pin by the date of the event during the service.

In addition to the "My Promise, My Faith" pin, Catholic Girl Scouts can earn these faith-based awards: "Family of God," "I Live My Faith," "Mary the First Disciple," "The Spirit Alive," "St. Elizabeth Ann Seton" and "St. Anne."  http://www.catholicnews.com/services/englishnews/2012/-my-promise-my-faith-pin-among-religious-awards-girl-scouts-can-earn.cfm

"The new Girl Scouts My Promise, My Faith pin invites girls in grades K-12 to experience a faith journey through exploration of the Girl Scout Law and teachings from their faith.  Girls can earn this national pin each year."

"Girls of all grade levels can now earn the My Promise, My Faith pin developed by Girl Scouts of the USA in 2011. This pin, which girls can earn once a year, complements existing religious recognitions and allows all girls to further strengthen the connection between their faith and Girl Scouts. A girl earns the My Promise, My Faith pin by carefully examining the Girl Scout Law and directly tying it to tenets of her faith. Requirements for this pin are included in The Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting for all levels, but a summary of the award requirements are below:"

"Although it is a secular organization, GSUSA has several religious awards troop members can earn, and in 2011 it developed an additional award, a pin titled "My Promise, My Faith," which girls can earn "by carefully examining the Girl Scout Law and directly tying it to tenets of her faith."

On April 28, the "My Promise, My Faith" pin was to be highlighted at a national celebration of all the faiths represented in the Girl Scout community at the National Episcopal Cathedral in Washington.

"As a spiritual resource for our nation, the cathedral is a great and beautiful edifice in the city of Washington, and an indispensable ministry for people of all faiths and perspectives," said a Girl Scouts announcement about the interfaith event.

Organizers planned to recognize girls who had earned the pin by the date of the event during the service.

In addition to the "My Promise, My Faith" pin, Catholic Girl Scouts can earn these faith-based awards: "Family of God," "I Live My Faith," "Mary the First Disciple," "The Spirit Alive," "St. Elizabeth Ann Seton" and "St. Anne."  http://www.catholicnews.com/services/englishnews/2012/-my-promise-my-faith-pin-among-religious-awards-girl-scouts-can-earn.cfm

Ah, so it IS just a fairly recent thing. Sounds like the GS was feeling heat for going too far the other way and decided to give something back.

But it still looks like a kind of Unitarian approach that few Christians find appealing. And how many girls actually earn this award? Most girls get tired of GS and the endless push to sell cookies and quit by the time they are 10.