Catholic Diocese boots out GS

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only certain forms of discrimination are socially disfavored or, under certain circumstances, illegal.     BSA teaches "values," which often amounts to teaching discrimination in what company you ke

Where are all these progressive organizations to pick up the slack?

Well this sources seems to document so interesting things GSUSA councils have been involved in. Does not look like fake news.   http://mygirlscoutcouncil.com/events-hostedendorsed-by-gs-councils.htm

Well, this is the model both GSUSA and BSA wanted: The local COs making the decision on which organizations they should support. Don't know why anyone is surprised or upset by this move. This is a CO taking steps to support those groups that align with their views and mission.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Col. Flagg that this is the sound of a big tent ripping.

How big of a rip? In our neck of the woods, I can't think of a single church group of any denomination that sponsors a GS/USA unit. Some may give them space if asked. But, troops are generally home-based. A leader may ask the church she attends to borrow a room for meeting from time to time, but that's about it.

What will be interesting to see going forward: how many parishes promote new AHG units.

• Upvote 1

What view and/or mission of the GSUSA would a CO oppose?

I think the articles outlined where the GSUSA has spent their time and efforts politically and how that does not align with Catholic beliefs and practices. 

If GSUSA wants to push certain agendas and align with organizations and groups that run contrary to some of their COs, they need to understand the consequences of doing so. This would be one of those consequences. 

• Upvote 1

While i may not personally agree with every decision BSA makes, I value the opportunity it provides for boys. I feel the same about the GSUSA. It's a shame those opportunities will be fewer for girls.

While i may not personally agree with every decision BSA makes, I value the opportunity it provides for boys. I feel the same about the GSUSA. It's a shame those opportunities will be fewer for girls.

The opportunity is not going away. It is just going somewhere else. GSUSA can go to all those groups which they supported politically and see if THEY will sponsor these troops. It's up to GSUSA to take care of their troops.

Did you feel bad for all the boys whose units lost their CO when BSA made their membership changes? We had 27 units fold in our county that never got new COs in time.

The opportunity is not going away. It is just going somewhere else. GSUSA can go to all those groups which they supported politically and see if THEY will sponsor these troops. It's up to GSUSA to take care of their troops.

Did you feel bad for all the boys whose units lost their CO when BSA made their membership changes? We had 27 units fold in our county that never got new COs in time.

Having a vested interest as a Scouter and as a father of a Scout makes me feel worse for the boys.

I will not assume opportunities will present themselves for all the girls affected. The 27 units in your county are a great example of why.