I agree and have been attempting to deal with this.  Sadly, anything I talk with him about, isn't reinforced at home.

you are in the unenviable position of having a parent problem that no ought right ban will fix.
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's the real problem. Just because a scout is ADHD doesn't give him a pass on obedient or courteous.

If they sat there you ere not following the care instructions.  You were not exercising, watering, or talking to your rock.  Didn't play music for it or allow it to "sun."  You probably didn't even na

As DuctTape said, they are TOYS. They weren't designed as a medical aid for kids with ADHD - they are not a medical device. They are the 2017 equivalent of the Rubik's Cube. Remember those? These

One could always make the case that the Pet Rock could be used as a weapon.....  Just sayin'

It would be far more destructive than a PopTart chewed into the shape of a gun.

And there should be an outright ban on S'mores, those roasting sticks are seriously dangerous sharpened to a point.  A flaming marshmallow dropped in your lap is going to do more damage than one would want to think about, and with squirt guns banned, there's no hope of being rescued.

• Upvote 1

If the mission of the BSA is to prepare young people to make ethical choices... lamenting over parents who not bring theirchild to scouts with these skills seems a bit misplaced. That is our mission, of course it is easier if we have no work to do. But if a scout is not brought up in a way to help them grow into a young person able to make ethical choices... heck that is why we exist. If all parents already did it, bsa would not be necessary according to our mission. Now whether our mission is misguided... that is a whole 'nother can of beans.

This whole concept of blaming parents for their child's indiscretions has been around for a long time.  Public schools have been touting this rhetoric for some time now.  Until one puts the blame where it belongs, on developing responsible children who own up to the consequences of their choices, nothing will change.  Children are not victims because of their choices,   Blaming parents is not the answer, blaming the kid's for poor choices is.  This is how they learn.  You touch a hot stove, you get burned.  You mess up, you clean up.  It's call taking responsibility for one's own actions and it hasn't been part of the curriculum of life for many years now. 

Edited by Stosh

If the mission of the BSA is to prepare young people to make ethical choices... lamenting over parents who not bring theirchild to scouts with these skills seems a bit misplaced.

The lamenting is not that parents are not preparing their sons, it's that some parents are pushing against that mission. The parents that ask for my help in teaching their sons how to be responsible freely admit they need help and they are easy to work with. It's the parents that push back, refuse to help, or complain when their sons are uncomfortable that create problems.

• Upvote 1

Life without problems would be . . . .

"One could always make the case that the Pet Rock could be used as a weapon.....  Just sayin'"

If the Pet Rock is "flint,"  lots of uses, but that's the Premium Model.  :p 

If the mission of the BSA is to prepare young people to make ethical choices... lamenting over parents who not bring theirchild to scouts with these skills seems a bit misplaced. That is our mission, of course it is easier if we have no work to do. But if a scout is not brought up in a way to help them grow into a young person able to make ethical choices... heck that is why we exist. If all parents already did it, bsa would not be necessary according to our mission. Now whether our mission is misguided... that is a whole 'nother can of beans.

You need parent support too, otherwise it's like building sand castles when the tide is coming in.

Peer influence is also powerful - often more so than parental influence.  Any hope of getting that outside the troop?

Why look outside the troop.  Your boys have the capability to police themselves.  For example, if I am addressing the group for some reason, I always use a normal "inside" voice.  If there's interruption going on anywhere in the room, I merely start over from the beginning.  Usually after 2 or 3 restarts the boys themselves make sure everyone is paying attention.  What is remarkable, if the parents in the back are making the interruption, same thing happens including the boys telling the parents to take their discussion out of the room....please.  :rolleyes:

I also don't use "Sign's Up!" either.  I wait until I have everyone's attention the begin.  If after a few seconds I don't get the room to quiet down, I start anyway, go for a few seconds, pause, start over, (see paragraph above).   :eek:

After the PL's get done yelling at their patrol members to pay attention, we can get things done.  I have even had some of my boys do this and it works wonders on an unruly crowd.  Never have to raise my hand with "Sign's Up".  Never have to raise my voice.  Just need a little patience for them to learn the system.  It's remarkable how even the ADD/ADHD kids can focus long enough to get through Mr. Stosh's comments... :D

• Upvote 2

Just saw my first fidget spinner last night! One of my venturers found it abandoned at an ice-cream stand. I'm putting it far down on my list of worries, considering that some of my officers were being distracted during the meeting by texts from a petulant member of the opposite sex. I warned the president that next week, I'm taking their phones and texting back with a pic of my ugly mug included. If they want to interrupt our meeting, they are welcome to do so in person.

:mad: