So the scouts are starting to bring them to meetings and campouts.  I am thinking of banning them from the meetings as they seem to be a distraction.  I know there is a basis for them with ADHD, what how y'all done in your troops?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's the real problem. Just because a scout is ADHD doesn't give him a pass on obedient or courteous.

If they sat there you ere not following the care instructions.  You were not exercising, watering, or talking to your rock.  Didn't play music for it or allow it to "sun."  You probably didn't even na

As DuctTape said, they are TOYS. They weren't designed as a medical aid for kids with ADHD - they are not a medical device. They are the 2017 equivalent of the Rubik's Cube. Remember those? These

Like almost anything else, blanket rules probably aren't the smart way to go.  If kids are using them as just another toy to play with ask them to put them away.  For kids (and some adults) with ADHD or anxiety, they're going to be unconsciously doing something with their hands, whether it's tapping, or biting their nails, or running outside for a smoke anyway.  For them it's not going to be a toy or something they're using to interract with other folks, it's going to be all inwardly focused.   You can ask them to put them away at critical times, like when saying the Pledge, Oath, or Law, and at other times it shouldn't significantly affect them or those around them.

Talk to your PLC. Discuss why they are used. Let the PLC make an educated decision. Guide them with knowledge. Remind them that, unlike phones or iPods or other items that are distractions, these devices are to help people cope.

They are not supposed to make noise.  The intention of the item is to focus attention, not make noise.  People who drum fingers or pencils, click pens, etc. are those that need one.

Better yet, let the PLC initiate the conversation.  Are the scouts unable to direct their peers' behavior, or are they already handling it effectively on their own?

Are you suggesting that scouts should be re-directing the kids using the cubes behavior?

The cube is designed to replace other distracting behavior like humming, legging shaking, tapping, etc. I am not sure using the cube is any less distracting than those behaviors. I was always told to wiggle my toes in my shoes. That helped and was less distracting for those around me. My sister has anxiety issues and that is a totally different issue to address and should not be addressed by scouts. That's an adult leader and parent issue so coping mechanisms can be discussed.

Are you suggesting that scouts should be re-directing the kids using the cubes behavior?

The cube is designed to replace other distracting behavior like humming, legging shaking, tapping, etc. I am not sure using the cube is any less distracting than those behaviors. I was always told to wiggle my toes in my shoes. That helped and was less distracting for those around me. My sister has anxiety issues and that is a totally different issue to address and should not be addressed by scouts. That's an adult leader and parent issue so coping mechanisms can be discussed.

Not exactly.  I'm suggesting that we give our youth leaders the opportunity to identify problems and bring them to our attention - not the other way around.  Its general advice, and not specific to ADHD or these figit spinners.

I'm suggesting that if the youth leadership isn't experiencing difficulty in achieving their goals and in leading their troop and patrols, then we shouldn't jump to solving a problem which we as adults perceive to exist, but the youth do not.

Now, in the event that the youth leadership does express concern about these devices, and looks for guidance on what action they should take - then, yes, I fully agree with all of your points.

Edit: And I should add, if we do observe the youth leadership inappropriately directing their peers' behavior (perhaps because they do not understand or are not sensitive to conditions such as ADHD), then of course I would suggest mentoring the leadership, bringing up the valid points that you mention.  My point is that we should give them the opportunity to correctly handle the situation, not automatically assume that they will handle it incorrectly.

Edited by jwest09
  • Upvote 1

Edit: And I should add, if we do observe the youth leadership inappropriately directing their peers' behavior (perhaps because they do not understand or are not sensitive to conditions such as ADHD), then of course I would suggest mentoring the leadership, bringing up the valid points that you mention.  My point is that we should give them the opportunity to correctly handle the situation, not automatically assume that they will handle it incorrectly.

I agree up to this point. There are times you need to equip the youth leaders with the background on an issue they may not fully understand, along with the tools or tricks to deal with them. I would hate to let the youth leader attempt to address an issue such as this and have a negative issue result. If it is a kid with a known case of ADD/ADHD, Aspergers or anxiety issues, the last thing you want is the youth leaders trying to handle something they are not trained for...or maybe even sensitive to. I suffered from this as a kid and the last thing I would have wanted were my friends trying to manage me.

Edited by Back Pack

Sure, I can get behind that.  We should be proactive in equipping our youth leadership to be successful.  I think it comes down to gauging the overall maturity and experience of the particular youth you are working with.  

Edited by jwest09

Let kids be kids, for crying out loud. Scouts in our area are making them themselves. Some they are 3D printing and talking about how they do it. Some others are carving them out of wood. Like all fads, this too shall pass. 

• Upvote 1

Sure, I can get behind that. We should be proactive in equipping our youth leadership to be successful. I think it comes down to gauging the overall maturity and experience of the particular youth you are working with.

Imagine you have anxiety issues. The last thing you want is some kid you go to school with confronting you, making you more self conscious about your ticks and making the situation worse. Better to have the parents and scoutmaster talk and discuss ways to help. This isn't a boy led issue. This is a medical condition which falls under the adult area for management. Edited by Back Pack

Imagine you have anxiety issues.

There was a time when I didn't even have to imagine ;-)  But I think you are right, there is a time and a place for adults to proactively educate youth leadership on issues such as these. There's also a time and a place for observing how youth leadership addresses these issues, and recognizing if they are doing an adequate job without our meddling.  The youth are often more tuned in than adults are to these types of things.  If the youth are correctly handling the situation, I see no need to guide the PLC in forming any sort of policy.  its quite possible that they don't even see this as an issue at all, and would scratch their heads at why the adults are talking themselves in circles about it ;-)