This site can't be reached

Trick to test if it is a site or your internet connection:

Open the command prompt

type in "ping www.google.com" and hit enter, it will send a ping to that site, you will see response times.

then type "ping www.scouter.com" and hit enter, then compare the times. If it cannot reach the site in the established time frame set you will see a "timed out" response.

Your results will vary depending on how your router and computer are connected to the internet, and will even depend on your provider.

I just did it and it showed a 25% packet loss against none for google. A traceroute showed that there were a large number of "hops" where the system is hosted. That may indicate that the internal LAN at the host site is cross connected in an inefficient manner. If running a software defined network it just may mean the router is poorly done.

Edited by Back Pack

Back Pack, actually I have tried it 3 times due to the results I got the first time:

1st time:  25% loss for Google, zero for scouter.com.  In other words the opposite of yours, which is why I tried it 2 more times.

2nd time:  Zero for both.

3rd time (about a half hour later):  Zero for both.

Go figure, huh?

@@NJCubScouter, so I also did a tracert (or trace route) since I got in to BOTH sites with no loss and near similar return and process times.

Trace router revealed that Cogent Networks are having issues, as is Level 3's southwest hubs (Dallas, OKC and St. Louis). Depending on where folks are in the country, and how their provider connects to the backbone, will affect their experience in getting to any point. The best analogy is exactly like traffic patterns. At some times of day going one way is great, then 10 minutes later it is a parking lot. Same with networks.

Cogent hopped be 7 times, L3 4 times. When I hard-routed through my VPN to another network I got to the site in 8 hops. My guess is these two providers are doing work OR experiencing heavy traffic OR have an infrastructure issue (e.g., hardware). 

@@NJCubScouter, so I also did a tracert (or trace route) since I got in to BOTH sites with no loss and near similar return and process times.

Trace router revealed that Cogent Networks are having issues, as is Level 3's southwest hubs (Dallas, OKC and St. Louis). Depending on where folks are in the country, and how their provider connects to the backbone, will affect their experience in getting to any point. The best analogy is exactly like traffic patterns. At some times of day going one way is great, then 10 minutes later it is a parking lot. Same with networks.

Cogent hopped be 7 times, L3 4 times. When I hard-routed through my VPN to another network I got to the site in 8 hops. My guess is these two providers are doing work OR experiencing heavy traffic OR have an infrastructure issue (e.g., hardware). 

Um.  Ok, I'll take your word for all that, whatever it means.  If I interpret it correctly it seems to suggest that there is NOT necessarily a problem at the "host site" as an earlier poster suggested.  Is that correct?

Um.  Ok, I'll take your word for all that, whatever it means.  If I interpret it correctly it seems to suggest that there is NOT necessarily a problem at the "host site" as an earlier poster suggested.  Is that correct?

Forgot I was talking to a lawyer. ;)

It means that one of the possible reasons people are having issues getting to this site may be related to how they are routed to the site by their Internet provider. Think of it like using Google Maps versus Tom Tom versus Magellan versus MapQuest. Some route you well, others send you from NJ to PA back to NJ to Delwaware just to get to Philly....from Cherry Hill. ;)

I can't rule out is isn't the server since I can't see a few things. Given the response I am getting posting, reading and just moving around I highly doubt it is the server....but only the admin can tell.

• 4 weeks later...

All,

Please remember that Terry Howerton (Scouter-Terry) provides this service free to the Scouting community.  We have minimal ads, and we have decades of archives you can search.

Also, if you do encounter an outage, we have a Facebook group, which serves mainly for "the other parts of our lives", but also serves as a communication conduit if the site goes offline.  WAKWIB, SR-540Eagle, and myself are there regularly.  I have dear friends, no longer on Scouter, who I communicate with there in their real lives.