Adulting our Scouts

One of the many reasons to get rid of MB "colleges". You simply cannot show, demonstrate, explain, etc., effectively in a group of 30 people.

Was at one of these large group classes for Cit in the Nation a while back. 30+ kids. MBC says, "You cannot get credit unless you participate." So he asks, "What was the purpose of the American Revolution?" Then goes around the room. The entire room. All 30+ kids asking them the question. Each kid parroted back the exact same response...or in some cases worded differently but with the same meaning. #wasteoftime, #learningnothing.

At every court of honor, the SPL asks almost every scout what he got or learned from taking the badge.  The scout is supposed to say something.  Way too often we've heard something similar to "absolutely nothing".  Effectively what the scout got was the badge.  As long as the scout is polite and respectful, we let blunt comments stand.  We do that as we want to get scouts to speak their mind and share their thoughts.  On the flip side, since the scouts are free to speak, it's really refreshing when they take a great badge such as sailing or a good cooking badge.  

• Upvote 1

Simply because someone doesn't understand the usefulness of something, or doesn't use it themselves does not mean it isn't useful to others. Very little is actually necessary, so to use required as the threshold for usefulness or whether it should exist is hardly compelling.

Edited by DuctTape

The original intent of the post was to show how MB's if done correctly can go a long way to fill in the maturity gap seen by today's "adults".  They can't cook, they can't sew, they can't balance a checkbook, but do drop a tremendous amount of personal freedom when they lock down their future in massive debt to satisfy a current urge.

Maybe, from the reactions on the forum we need a Forum MB to get the discussion a bit deeper than what it is.  :)  But then again, we're dealing with a classroom of thousands here.

Edited by Stosh

Simply because someone doesn't understand the usefulness of something, or doesn't use it themselves does not mean it isn't useful to others. Very little is actually necessary, so to use required as the threshold for usefulness or whether it should exist is hardly compelling.

#DitchTheNeckerchief

:)

Edited by RememberSchiff

Don't misunderstand. I *know* what they are for. I just don't get why something like that is necessary. I don't "get" Twitter. I couldn't care less that you are in line at Starbucks and someone cut in front of you, or that you think a certain cat video is cool. No offense, but no one is THAT interesting.

I'm in the minorities of millenials that doesn't use twitter. But as you know, twitter popularized the # because it helps their algorithims tracking. No other reason.

I don't use Twitter because I rarely put my thoughts out on facebook, so why add another service I won't use.

Edited by Sentinel947
  • Upvote 2

So post #3 was right! May I have my MB now counselor Stosh?  :)

Stop by the house and cook a meal for me, make sure you figure in the cost of the meal and mileage to get here and when you're done I have a couple of patches you can sew on my uniform.  THEN you can have the MB.  :)

I'm in the minorities of millenials that doesn't use twitter. But as you know, twitter popularized the # because it helps their algorithims tracking. No other reason.

I don't use Twitter because I rarely put my thoughts out on facebook, so why add another service I won't use.

When I was a kid (under 18) my parents would not let me use social media. I am very glad they did. Now I am old enough to deal with it and only use FB. I only friend people i actually know. Thanks to Scouts i can cook, sew, manage my time and finances, and can lead (or is that manage?). For all that i thank Scouting and my family. #noneedforadulting

That's why I posted the video, it's an all-important opportunity we have with other people's kids.  Especially those parents who haven't figured out how to be good parent/adult role models.

• Upvote 1