Scouting Family from New Jersey

My oldest boy just crossed over, and I found some helpful information on this forum through a web search about Boy Scout badges and patches.  Figured I'd probably have a few more questions as the years go by, so here I am.  I'm hoping I might be able to contribute information at some point, but for now I'll soak up whatever I can.  My younger son just earned his Webelos rank, and my 12 year-old daughter is looking forward to Venturers.

• Upvote 1

We call those "underage" women who we sneak on some outings "venturers in training". ;)

She's wanted to join Boy Scouts ever since we built our first Pinewood Derby car.  I bought a kit for her, and she made a 1950's era pick-up truck in cobalt blue.  When we first moved, we tried girl scouts, but our particular group isn't very outdoor/building oriented, so we were very happy when we found out Venturers existed!

Yeah, talk about being chauvinistic.   ""... our particular group isn't very outdoor/building oriented.... ""   Just try to help a GSUSA Troop be that way.  Sometimes a dad (or "outdoor oriented" mom)  can affect a change, but IMHO, you need to get the girls in Daisy's first.   My buddy Ted formed (after much internal GSUSA angst) a Daisy Troop for his then 6 year old daughter and ten of her friends.  The local Council , I think, gritted it's metaphorical teeth, but the girls and their parents loved it. They went crawdad hunting in the streams, and cabin camping, and learned to "cook" outside of the usual kitchen.  Most of the group is still together, even tho Ted and family had to move out of the area  .