What constitutes a outdoor activity?

I read through the requirements before we start any new adventure, and I make sure the boys know what it means to demonstrate, show, tell, explain, etc., and that they understand very clearly what we will be doing - boys this age like to know what's expected of them! I also repeat the requirement, as written, before each individual activity, so that they know exactly what needs to be accomplished for the activity to count towards completing the adventure.

As an added touch, sometimes I may also remind them that if they DON'T do what is asked, I don't have to sign their books! And they don't HAVE to get the adventure pin, and they don't HAVE to get their Webelos rank, and they don't HAVE to get their Arrows of Light ... 

Then I smile benignly at them while it all sinks in. I don't seem to have any troubles getting boys to participate!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the responses everyone. This was the first year in at least 7 yeas hatbour pack has gone camping. So to ask them to do another one for boys that missed is not gonna go over well. My boys are wolves so I can't just take them camping. Believe me I would if I could. I think I've gotten them taken care of.

And I know the badge is. It the goal. Having fun learning and growing is the goal. But I also don't want upset boys who through no fault of their own don't receive their rank badge. I know they don't have to receive it, but it would be nice.

Hope things work out for them. If they are doing other outdoor things with you all (hint: fishing season is open in most parts), even for a couple of hours, you're absolutely right. Active cubs should not be docked from advancement just because the camp out didn't work for them. That is why Call of the Wild requirement #1 has an option B.