What constitutes a outdoor activity?

So our pack just went on its campout. I had 2 of my wolfs that couldn't make it. One due to mom going into the hospital and the other who had previous plans before the campout was scheduled. What constitutes a outdoor activity to satisfy the requirement? Our pack is doing a conservation project later this month cleaning up a local park. Would attendance there work? If it wasn't used for anything else? I do t want either of them to miss out on their badge.

Thanks

Dan

First things first: it's never a problem if a cub does not earn a badge. Period.

But the park conservation project is definitely an outdoor activity, as would be any hike in a park, picnic, ball game in a field, etc ...

I concur with Qwazse. I would also suggest a different mindset, instead of seeing it as "miss out on their badge", replace the thought with "miss out on the outdoor adventure (which results in a badge)". I make this suggestion because it changes the focus to the fun adventure as the goal and relegates the badge back to its rightful position as symbolic recognition of the completion of the adventure. ie the badge is not the goal.

• Upvote 2

Does the conservation project take place outdoors? Then it's an outdoor activity. In the Cub Scout program, the requirements really are pretty broad; if it fits the description, it qualifies.  ;)

However, I do understand the desire to help the boys complete the requirements to earn their rank badge. True, it's not about the badge, but at this age little things like badges can play a big role in motivating them to continue in the program, the same as in Boy Scouts. They do have a part in the program, and they can be important in focusing a boys energies, which is why we use them. So it's natural to want to do your part to help these two boys advance. Boys at this age are tangible learners; they benefit from physical markers of ideas and concepts. So when they earn their badge of rank, it makes the things they've learned in their den meetings and program activities concrete - they can see the results of their hard work. So no, don't make the awards the goal - but do work hard to help them achieve, making sure that they connect each award to the effort and new skills it took to earn it. And good on you for wanting to make sure these two advance along with their den mates. That's a mark of a caring leader.  :happy:

• Upvote 1

Are we in the process of teaching the boys from Cub Scouts on that it's a once and done?  So the boys missed the opportunity on one campout.  Why not have another?  There's nothing in the Cub Scout materials that indicate that teach of the requirements can't be done more than once.

However, I concur, that any time one is outside the building it's an outdoor activity.  After a year of Cub Scouts, one should have had 3-5 opportunities to fulfill that requirement.

• Upvote 1

FYI only Webelos Dens can camp on their own. Lion, Tiger, Wolf and Bear Dens can only camp as a pack or at district/council level family camp outs.

Are you using the original June 2015 advancement requirements found in the books, or are you using the new December 2016 requirements found here

http://www.scouting.org/Home/programupdates.aspx

A others have stated,it shouldn't be one and done. GET THEM OUTSIDE! (emphasis)

• Upvote 1

Outdoor Activities (Per the BSA)

These activities must be in addition to any similar activities counted for rank advancement, and can be accomplished as a family, den, or pack.

â—¾Participate in a nature hike in your local area. This can be on an organized, marked trail or just a hike to observe nature in your area.

â—¾Participate in an outdoor activity such as a picnic or park fun day.

â—¾Explain the buddy system and tell what to do if lost. Explain the importance of cooperation.

â—¾Attend a pack overnighter. Be responsible by being prepared for the event.

â—¾Complete an outdoor service project in your community.

â—¾Complete a nature/conservation project in your area. This project should involve improving, beautifying, or supporting natural habitats. Discuss how this project helped you to respect nature.

â—¾Earn the Summertime Pack Award.

â—¾Participate in a nature observation activity. Describe or illustrate and display your observations at a den or pack meeting.

â—¾Participate in an outdoor aquatics activity. This can be an organized swim meet or just a den, pack, or family swim.

â—¾Participate in an outdoor campfire program. Perform in a skit, sing a song, or take part in a ceremony.

â—¾Participate in an outdoor sporting event.

â—¾Participate in an outdoor interfaith or other worship service.

â—¾Explore a local city, county, state, or national park. Discuss with your den how a good citizen obeys the park rules.

â—¾Invent an outside game and play it outside with friends for 30 minutes.

• Upvote 1

Outdoor Activities (Per the BSA)

These activities must be in addition to any similar activities counted for rank advancement, and can be accomplished as a family, den, or pack.

â—¾Participate in a nature hike in your local area. This can be on an organized, marked trail or just a hike to observe nature in your area.

â—¾Participate in an outdoor activity such as a picnic or park fun day.

â—¾Explain the buddy system and tell what to do if lost. Explain the importance of cooperation.

â—¾Attend a pack overnighter. Be responsible by being prepared for the event.

â—¾Complete an outdoor service project in your community.

â—¾Complete a nature/conservation project in your area. This project should involve improving, beautifying, or supporting natural habitats. Discuss how this project helped you to respect nature.

â—¾Earn the Summertime Pack Award.

â—¾Participate in a nature observation activity. Describe or illustrate and display your observations at a den or pack meeting.

â—¾Participate in an outdoor aquatics activity. This can be an organized swim meet or just a den, pack, or family swim.

â—¾Participate in an outdoor campfire program. Perform in a skit, sing a song, or take part in a ceremony.

â—¾Participate in an outdoor sporting event.

â—¾Participate in an outdoor interfaith or other worship service.

â—¾Explore a local city, county, state, or national park. Discuss with your den how a good citizen obeys the park rules.

â—¾Invent an outside game and play it outside with friends for 30 minutes.

When the weather is nice, we hold our regular meetings outside.  Now that's a stretch for "outdoor activity", but it does acclimate the boys to fresh air that when they do go on a hike, picnic, campout, etc. it's not such a shock to find out where bugs live.

• Upvote 2

When the weather is nice, we hold our regular meetings outside.  Now that's a stretch for "outdoor activity", but it does acclimate the boys to fresh air that when they do go on a hike, picnic, campout, etc. it's not such a shock to find out where bugs live.

Now @@Stosh, don't confuse the poor DL's. They might make den meetings so much fun that each one will be considered an activity, and nobody will know when they actually have meetings!

I did that with my Webelos boys.  I planned out my activities to coincide with fun activities.  My only problem was when the boys went to the pack meeting to get their award pins, they didn't know what the pin was for.  The CubMaster asked the boys what they did to earn the pin in front of the whole meeting.  The boys stood there with their "deer-in-the-headlight" impression.  I bailed them out when I "translated" for them.  Readyman pin?  Remember all the neat first aid stuff we did?  or the "Aquanaut" pin?  Remember going to the hotel and swimming in the pool?  One couldn't get them to shut up after that!  :)

Thanks for the responses everyone. This was the first year in at least 7 yeas hatbour pack has gone camping. So to ask them to do another one for boys that missed is not gonna go over well. My boys are wolves so I can't just take them camping. Believe me I would if I could. I think I've gotten them taken care of.

And I know the badge is. It the goal. Having fun learning and growing is the goal. But I also don't want upset boys who through no fault of their own don't receive their rank badge. I know they don't have to receive it, but it would be nice.

I did that with my Webelos boys.  I planned out my activities to coincide with fun activities.  My only problem was when the boys went to the pack meeting to get their award pins, they didn't know what the pin was for.  The CubMaster asked the boys what they did to earn the pin in front of the whole meeting.  The boys stood there with their "deer-in-the-headlight" impression.  I bailed them out when I "translated" for them.  Readyman pin?  Remember all the neat first aid stuff we did?  or the "Aquanaut" pin?  Remember going to the hotel and swimming in the pool?  One couldn't get them to shut up after that!  :)

On the other hand, it seems to me that Webelos is the time to get the boys into the habit of actually reading the requirements (so they'll know what the pin is for), since as Boy Scouts they will be advancing independently of each other and it's not a bad idea to know what you are supposed to be doing.  I have seen Scouts get through First Class without ever actually reading the requirements, but it takes a lot longer.