Culture Knot Insignia

Go to solution Solved by The Latin Scot,

Cherokee culture knot

http://www.tahlequahdailypress.com/news/local_news/cherokee-nation-approves-cultural-knot-for-boy-scouts/article_caabbc30-14d8-58b4-99af-e329c12a2edd.html

The Cherokee Nation Tribal Council  http://www.cherokee.org/ approved a resolution that would allow members of the Boy Scouts of America to earn Cherokee culture knot for their uniform.

Boy Scouts can earn awards, or square knots, for various achievements for their uniforms. Terry Hancock, a Boy Scout leader and Cherokee Nation citizen in Rogers County Boy Scout leader and Cherokee Nation citizen, told tribal councilors that no knot was available to represent the tribe.

"Almost two years ago, Terry shared with me that if he had a scout with Asian heritage, he could earn an Asian culture uniform knot (Asian American Award - RS), but with about half of his scouts being Cherokee, he could not offer them a Cherokee cultural knot",  said Tribal Councilor Keith Austin, Claremore. "With this resolution, this changes. Together with the support of the Council and Principal Chief Bill John Baker, all Cherokee boys in Scouts will be able to earn the right to wear this knot in honor of our culture and history."

Huh? Is some info missing? Can an ethnic or religious group unilaterally decide to create a BSA "knot award" or is this a step in the process? :huh:

I found no artwork.

I thought the "cultural" awards were adult awards.  They seem to be talking about awards for Scouts.  I also thought the only "knot" a Scout could wear was for a religious award and maybe also a heroism award.  Was I misinformed?

I thought the "cultural" awards were adult awards.  They seem to be talking about awards for Scouts.  I also thought the only "knot" a Scout could wear was for a religious award and maybe also a heroism award.  Was I misinformed?

Yes that was my understanding but maybe that has changed.

Oh wow, I know the Scouter who's in the article. I'll ask him next time I see him, but I did contact the local Scout council (Indian Nations #488). As far as I could tell, the council knew nothing about this and were quick to point any uniforming questions to National.

Back to the issue though, I wonder what's going to happen when the Cherokee Nation realizes they can't modify a uniform protected by a Congressional charter? Also, this type of award already exists.

My $0.02.

• Solution

Wow ... this represents a gross misunderstanding of both the BSA uniform and the awards mentioned.

The BSA offers no awards or insignia based on a boys heritage or ethnicity. The "Asian American Award" does not exist. Rather, the items referred to are knots representing larger awards given for outstanding service to, and promotion of the BSA among, certain communities. There is one for serving predominantly Asian communities, one for inner city groups, one for Latin American/Hispanic communities ... even one for serving Native American youth. And even more to the point, the BSA just recently created one single square knot representing all such awards together, so Scouters wearing a knot for service to Latin communities wear the same knot as those recognized for service to inner-city youth or disabled groups.

These awards are not given in recognition of heritage, but rather for adults who have done service for specific communities amongst whom Scouting is less prevalent yet could be of positive impact. They are not worn by Scouts because they are not awarded to them. They are given to Scouters who work through the BSA in service to communities in need. Also they are not earned, they are awarded, with the exception of those who work with disabled communities, in the which case it is again for adults, and again, in recognition of service and meeting stringent requirements.

The creation of this "award" seems like a very reactionary move in response to a problem that ...... never existed. And as has been noted, they cannot implement official uniform items without the approval of National.

Unless it goes on the right pocket, with "temporary insignia," of course. :rolleyes:

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 2

My understanding, the knot itself is called the Asian American Award and as you say it is a recognition of the adult-earned Asian American Spirit of Scouting Service Award.

knotasian.jpg

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/square-knots.asp#asian

http://www.scouting.org/Home/Awards_Central/AsianAmerican.aspx

I don't know if this is a local misunderstanding or a misreporting.

Vale La Pena! Award , Asian American Award,  and the next?

The name of the award AND that knot is the Asian American Spirit of Scouting Service Award ... which pretty much sums up the whole nature of the award right there, lol.

And as was mentioned, that knot isn't even being distributed anymore. The Scouting Service knot, which sums up nicely the real nature of these awards, is being phased in to replace all the other community-specific knots. So, if they really want to align their program with the BSA, they should start by switching to the more broadly-encompassing Scouting Service Award knot.

Edited by The Latin Scot

I also thought the only "knot" a Scout could wear was for a religious award and maybe also a heroism award.  Was I misinformed?

I've seen a Cub Scout wear a James E. West knot.  Yes, dad donated $1000 in his name.  Also know of approx. 100 Eagles who would be eligible. Gentleman left a very large bequest in his will, and every single Eagle in the council that year was a West Fellow.

Wow ... $1000 per boy for over 100 Eagle Scouts? That is some bequest! Sheesh. 

I always did think the West Fellowship knot was kind of the desperate Scouter's means to excess-knot glory. Can't get enough recognition for a Silver Beaver of your own? Can't find anybody in danger whom you can save to earn an honor medal? No worries - Just BUY yourself another square knot for only $999.99!

It's kind of the Scouting version of selling indulgences.  :p

• Upvote 1