Pinning down volunteers

Wow! I appreciate the support from all of you! It isn't something I've entirely ruled out, and I'm sure I'm going to continue to waffle back and forth on it for a while. The longer the current SM goes waiting for a replacement the more likely I am to step in and offer to take it on. I think I'm experiencing the self doubt most people have before taking on a commitment of that magnitude. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Outside scouting, I help run a program that needs lots of volunteers.  For the last few years, the volunteers need 4+ hours of training plus a formal background check just to volunteer the first shift

from the Daily Mail link      Last year, Josie Appleton, director of The Manifesto Club think tank, which campaigns against excessive regulation, said endless forms and recent child abuse scandals w

@@ianwilkins, what you've described is basically the BSA policy. We can go on about back-country depth charts. etc ..., but the general policy is the same.   @@MattR, just because you don't value yo

Wow! I appreciate the support from all of you! It isn't something I've entirely ruled out, and I'm sure I'm going to continue to waffle back and forth on it for a while. The longer the current SM goes waiting for a replacement the more likely I am to step in and offer to take it on. I think I'm experiencing the self doubt most people have before taking on a commitment of that magnitude. 

That twinge of self-doubt is actually a good thing.  It means you will probably value the mature judgement and experience of your IH, COR, and CC.

Edited by David CO

In the U.S. she would not even have been eligible to be a Cubmaster until age 21.  She would have been eligible to be an Assistant Cubmaster.  Although I think some parents would have an issue with a 21-year-old Cubmaster.

To be fair 19 is exceptionally to be a leader in charge although there is no rule against it. There's an interesting second part to the story though. She was living in Cambridge because she was a student at the university here. As the time for her to graduate and probably move away approached she handed the pack over to a parent who had been an assistant leader. Now as it turned out she ended up getting a job in Cambridge after she graduated so stayed on as assistant leader, effectively swapping roles with him. He though had a number of changes in personal circumstances which meant he struggled to keep up with things. Not his fault, just life happening. And when things started going wrong, guess who the parents started to look at again to keep the pack running.... yes the now assistant leader, still only aged about 22. An interesting tale!

But I suppose it is analogous to my neighboring council that went out of business - if one council or unit folds, the neighbors can pick up the slack, but if it keeps happening, at some point there are no neighbors left within a practical distance.

That was a council level issue with CNJ.  The units were all doing fine and very little changed on the ground except the shoulder patches and lodge flaps.

I haven't made up my mind on anything. I'm not being pushed out. Its just weighing my options, whats best for the troop and how much I have left in the tank. The current SM and I have talked about me taking over from him, but I'm not sold on the idea and I'm not certain he is either.

If you ever find yourself in New Jersey... we'd love to have you.

So, my advice to a 20-something ASM is: in every class of new parents, look for the one most likely to buy-in to your vision of a scout leader. This does mean half of the time you are effectively training adults. At campfires, get them immersed in the history of where the troop came from. At breakfast, talk about where you and your SM think it should go. Every year, one more adult. In five years, you have your very own front line behind which you can quarterback, handing off or passing the ball to scouts with impunity. The adults who currently buy-in to your vision become your coaching staff, and you all have more than a team. You have a dynasty. (Can you tell my town is morning the loss of one of the greatest franchise owners in NFL history?)

Obviously, as Flagg points out, if you and your fellow scouters aren't assembling that cluster of parents, find a new unit to serve before you face scouting burn-out.

This is some of the best advice given on this forum.  I've spent the last four years getting buy in from adult leaders and parents.  As I'm poised to take over as SM for the Troop, I have the the backing of the other current adult leaders which allows me to go forward with my vision.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/newcastle-gang-shows-80th-anniversary-12892349

Meanwhile, UK Scouting membership has grown by almost a quarter in the last decade - and there are now more than half a million Scouts.

The Scout Association said its membership had gone up from 450,455 to 550,457 members in the last decade, and in this time female membership has grown from 69,996 to 128,042.

All of which means it’s rather timely that the Newcastle Gang Show is celebrating its 80th anniversary.

Please tell me more about this Newcastle Gang Show

Please tell me more about this Newcastle Gang Show

Newcastle...city in the north east of England, went on a stag weekend there once, was pleasantly surprised. I mean, the soccer stadium looks like it's landed at the top of the hill on the main street, but there's some lovely Georgian and Victorian architecture, and while the Tyne Bridge isn't exactly Sydney Harbour bridge, the whole riverside bit has been gentrified. There are undoubtedly some rough bits in the 'burbs, a friend lived there in the 80s and had bars on all the downstairs windows, but still had plenty of break ins, and at least two cars stolen. Generally I found the locals were friendly, the ladies dressed to kill and hunted in packs. It suffered a fair bit in the past as all the coal mines got shut down. In fact, Newcastle was so famous for coal that we have a phrase "like taking coals to Newcastle" for taking something so patently obvious you'd be better off buying there. Like taking sand to New Mexico or something. Newcastle Brown Ale is....not exactly to my taste, but not completely undrinkable.

Gang Show...a scout show usually in a theatre, songs and skits, a bit like a campfire but without a fire. Or a music hall variety show with a scout twist. Usually done in a school half term holiday with the cast coming together for the week and performing at the end. I'm sure youtube will furnish you with plenty of examples of varying quality. Ralph Reader was the main man, is "Riding Along on the Crest of a Wave" familiar in the US? In the UK I think there's some sort of quality check, and decent ones can award everyone in the cast a red necker.

Ian

I'm sure youtube will furnish you with plenty of examples of varying quality. Ralph Reader was the main man, is "Riding Along on the Crest of a Wave" familiar in the US?

I watched a couple of the videos on YouTube (including a performance of the "Crest of a Wave" song; actually the first video I found was of some instrumental song, but then I looked down the list and saw a bunch of kids standing on a stage, so I knew that was probably the right one) and read these articles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_Show

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gang_Show

It's an interesting tradition. I had never heard of any of it (including the song) so I am going to assume that none of it is known in the U.S. (except for the stray British person or two that finds themselves over here.)  Well, it's a little bit better known now that we are discussing it.   :)

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 1