Backpacking/lightweight tent cots

I looked long and hard at them...but never tried one.

I liked the idea for warmer weather camping where the air circulation would be nice.

In the end, I figured that for the money, it's really just too heavy and too complex.

Camping for a week in West Texas this summer is driving this for me.  A week on the rocks with just an air mattress doesn't sound awesome on this old back.

So I am old hat on camping in the summer in West Texas. Where are you going to be? BTSR?

The REI Flash 72" insulated air mattress has done awesome in CO, NM and TX. It's a bit more than most but cheaper than the cots...easier on the tent floors too. Four seasons, plenty long and comfortable. At less than 9 ozs you cannot beat the weight, if that's an issue.

Camping for a week in West Texas this summer is driving this for me.  A week on the rocks with just an air mattress doesn't sound awesome on this old back.

Hammock!!!  Your back will thank you.  If there aren't trees around, get an REI AirRail Mattress.  It is more comfortable than my bed at home.

Hammock!!!  Your back will thank you.  If there aren't trees around, get an REI AirRail Mattress.  It is more comfortable than my bed at home.

That will work. He can attach it to all the scrub brush and tumble weeds.

You've clearly never been to West Texas. Hammocks will work in east and parts of central Texas. West Texas has two trees....145 miles apart. :)

So I am old hat on camping in the summer in West Texas. Where are you going to be? BTSR?

The REI Flash 72" insulated air mattress has done awesome in CO, NM and TX. It's a bit more than most but cheaper than the cots...easier on the tent floors too. Four seasons, plenty long and comfortable. At less than 9 ozs you cannot beat the weight, if that's an issue.

Yep going to BTSR base camp

• Upvote 1

Yep going to BTSR base camp

Don't forget to visit the observatory with your guys for some night time star gazing. You will see stuff you can only see on TV. It blew our guys away!!!

If it means anything, I took my REI half dome and the 72" insulated air mattress. Slept like a baby. The ground was pretty hard but never felt it. HOWEVER, I will say that if you are side-sleeper, try out the air mattress or anything BEFORE you buy it. My buddy went through several of each before he found the one he liked that didn't have his hips digging him in to the ground at night.

Don't forget to visit the observatory with your guys for some night time star gazing. You will see stuff you can only see on TV. It blew our guys away!!!

If it means anything, I took my REI half dome and the 72" insulated air mattress. Slept like a baby. The ground was pretty hard but never felt it. HOWEVER, I will say that if you are side-sleeper, try out the air mattress or anything BEFORE you buy it. My buddy went through several of each before he found the one he liked that didn't have his hips digging him in to the ground at night.

We have our tickets for the star party already, and our cc has a connection so we are getting a behind the scenes tour the saturday before camp.  We are going to chill in the Balmerea pool the day before going to camp :-)

I have a Klymit air pad and it rocks even for side sleeping.  very light and comfortable.