I'm pumped, tomorrow is the first campout of the year for us. This will mark the first trip out with the new -to me- camping trailer, which makes me stoked not having to pack and unpack a pickup bed looking like the clampets. This will also be the kiddos first run at a compass course. We will still have to do the math for their steps for them but other than that and some general giluisance they are on their own. If they find the end then a prize will be waiting for them!

• Upvote 4

Is your compass course going to be more of a geocaching kind of thing or just straight orienteering? Is that for a rank advancement?

We have a couple of ex-army guys who set up our courses. They do an excellent job, and the boys really learn something. A classic scouting skill, too. 

Sounds like y'all are gonna have fun.

Did your Scouts successfully orient themselves back to their starting point? If so, what was their prize? ☺

We had a patrol practice map and compass skills at a campout recently. They plotted a three point course. 300 yards between points. To their amazement (and my pleasure) they finished within 15 feet of their starting point.

They did, the only major hiccup we had was one of the Leaders that was walking with one of the groups decided he knew better than the kids when he didn't find a stake where he thought it should be but instead spotted another one about 40 yards away. What he did was essentially take away 2/3 of the course from the kids. ( which I had them go back and redo). If he would have just gone with the kids paces he would have sen the kids had actually gotten him on the perfect bearing but about 10 ft too short. Oh well it was fun.

Their prize was their very own brand new Silvia compass. I tried to post a picture but I can't seem to get that to work.

• Upvote 2

Oh and it was a bit of a different course, designed the way my old Scout Leader did for me. It was a course where you take off from one point, find the next marker, on the next marker is the feet and coordinates to the next marker. They had 8 markers in total they had to find before they found their prize

There's nothing in scouting that some well meaning adult can't screw up.

Yep, he took it upon himself to decide that we wrote down our paces instead of our feet. And made the kids follow him on that one. He should have trusted the kids

Yep, he took it upon himself to decide that we wrote down our paces instead of our feet. And made the kids follow him on that one. He should have trusted the kids

What's he doing hanging around the kids when he should be off drinking coffee.  It's their compass course, not his. Sometimes that 300' of separation is for the protection of the kids.

Edited by Stosh

These kids are to young to do one on their own yet, they need help converting feet into their steps. In all honesty I probably push them to do things that are several years over their head but I don't want them to be the typical Camp Fire group. I want them to be able to go toe to toe with any Boy Scout group 2years older than them. They will have a tough row to climb since there isn't as many training and high adventure opportunities as a Boy Scout troop would have so they gotta be tougher and ready to do it on their own

I have been one to present expectations higher than their current level.  It is surprising how well, when given the opportunity do step up to the challenge.  However, one has to be careful that one's expectations doesn't overwhelm them and cause frustration and disappointment.  Constant reassurance goes a long way and finding little successes along the way make for a more pleasant journey for the kids.  One has to be careful that these expectations (First Class advancement in the first year) are carefully laid out and clearly defined "according to the book".  Kids who known the boundaries are more sure of themselves and know what it is that is expected. 

Scouting in a good place to learn failure, but those failures need to be because of their choices, not because of unreasonable expectations placed on them by the adults.

You speak the truth. I am trying to work towards no leader works with their own kid on something that is going to be too far out there. We all seem to do well with each other's kids and the group as a whole but struggle to not get frustrated with our own. It is a constant battle that we are all working on

Oh and it was a bit of a different course, designed the way my old Scout Leader did for me. It was a course where you take off from one point, find the next marker, on the next marker is the feet and coordinates to the next marker. They had 8 markers in total they had to find before they found their prize

I'm sure that with a couple more events, they'll, become quite good. The adults will, too. ;)

Then you'll have to up the game.

A while back, I introduced a modification of your standard course: http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/28587-goodbye-camporees-wfws-hello-saws/?p=445543

That thread has some other good ideas. Enjoy.

That sounds pretty interesting. I am gonna try that some time! I think next time I am going to give them their paces, simple coordinates and just see where everyone ends up after 3 short points. Maybe a small something for the one that lands closest to the final point.