I get your point.  Do you get mine?

I would much rather have direct registration.  

I would gladly lose the BSA insurance if that would mean that we could make our own risk assessments and run the program the way we used to. 

We don't need application forms or recruiting materials.  The boys are members of my CO (school), and I already have all of their information on file. 

We don't use council camps.  My diocese owns a great camp just 10 miles from us.  I don't want my scouts showering with transgender kids.

I have no use for the council.  They are just a bunch of pests who get in the way of our running a good, old-fashioned, values-oriented scout program.  I wish they would just go away.

Why then does one bother with scouting?  Serious, just set it up as a school "club" and run it the way you wish it to without the added expense of registration, uniforms, etc. etc. etc. and the interference of the "higher ups".  If BSA is offering no benefit, what's your return on the dollar?

By the way, I'm not being sarcastic or disingenuous here.  To me it's a serious question.

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 2

Can we please limit this thread to trying to help EagleonFire? Discussions of whether councils are good or bad should be in a separate thread, and in most cases should probably be in Council Relations. Discussions of who people might or might not be showering with who should, I guess, be in Issues and Politics.

I disagree.  Whether councils are good or bad can, will, and should directly effect their United Way funding.  It is entirely relevant.

Edited by David CO

I appreciate all the input. The twelve minute mark may be a bit of a stretch for this old hillbilly but I will do my best. I was informed that this is for about 1/3 of the camps funding, so no pressure. It will work out though, I am contemplating bringing pictures for them of some of our kids just enjoying the camp and taking on the low ropes course, zip line and rock climbing wall. I will also probably speak to how we will be sending one of our kids to their camp C.A.N.O.E. this summer.

And I get frustration that you don't feel like your council does anything for you but that's just because your not utilizing them. Because of the united way sponsorship that camp c.a.n.o.e. Will only cost $265, and most of that is being paid for by selling candy for the council, I believe we are only going to be out $70 cash

I just realized that EagleonFire is talking about a Camp Fire council (Camp Fire Heart of Oklahoma) and its camp C.A.N.O.E. (Children with Autism Need Outdoor Education).

I misunderstood his post.  I thought he was talking about a BSA council.  I apologize to EagleonFire for the misunderstanding. 

Yes, I agree that camp C.A.N.O.E. is very worthy of United Way support.  I wish him luck with his speech.

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 1

I appreciate all the input. The twelve minute mark may be a bit of a stretch for this old hillbilly but I will do my best. I was informed that this is for about 1/3 of the camps funding, so no pressure. It will work out though, I am contemplating bringing pictures for them of some of our kids just enjoying the camp and taking on the low ropes course, zip line and rock climbing wall. I will also probably speak to how we will be sending one of our kids to their camp C.A.N.O.E. this summer.

And I get frustration that you don't feel like your council does anything for you but that's just because your not utilizing them. Because of the united way sponsorship that camp c.a.n.o.e. Will only cost $265, and most of that is being paid for by selling candy for the council, I believe we are only going to be out $70 cash

Pictures? Bring a kid! Sounds like you have one or more of those!

These folks have been power-pointed to death. Pass around polaroids, crafts past campers have made, scrapbooks. If the kid functions well enough, have a simple interview about what he/she likes or dislikes and is looking forward to. If he/she doesn't speak much, have a parent talk about what it means to have a place like this for their child.

That cuts the time you need for any old hillbilly shtick to just a couple minutes. Chances are the only other A/V you may want are a pie-chart of income, one of expenses, and some graphic of numbers served by category (age, level of disability, etc..).

Pictures? Bring a kid! Sounds like you have one or more of those!

These folks have been power-pointed to death. Pass around polaroids, crafts past campers have made, scrapbooks. If the kid functions well enough, have a simple interview about what he/she likes or dislikes and is looking forward to. If he/she doesn't speak much, have a parent talk about what it means to have a place like this for their child.

That cuts the time you need for any old hillbilly shtick to just a couple minutes. Chances are the only other A/V you may want are a pie-chart of income, one of expenses, and some graphic of numbers served by category (age, level of disability, etc..).

Bringing a kid would be the number 1 choice but they are having the meeting at a time when I would have to pull a kid out of school about 30 minutes early. I just don't know if I can bring myself to do that. My piece is supposed to be mostly about club level stuff but I feel like I have to talk about the Camp CANOE for a bit. It looks like I need to just get to off my lazy butt and get to Walgreens at the very least. I really appreciate all the input guys.

I just realized that EagleonFire is talking about a Camp Fire council (Camp Fire Heart of Oklahoma) and its camp C.A.N.O.E. (Children with Autism Need Outdoor Education).

I misunderstood his post.  I thought he was talking about a BSA council.  I apologize to EagleonFire for the misunderstanding. 

Yes, I agree that camp C.A.N.O.E. is very worthy of United Way support.  I wish him luck with his speech.

No need to apologize. I am talking about a campfire council. The Camp canoe is only one piece of what they will be funding. And I get being a little frustrated with council members. I get frustrated that so much attention is given to outdoor school programs and facility rentals ( a scouting camp hidden in the middle of a metropolitan area is a goldmine for weddings and corporate retreats) I feel like all attention should be given to the clubs

• Upvote 1

No need to apologize. I am talking about a campfire council. The Camp canoe is only one piece of what they will be funding. And I get being a little frustrated with council members. I get frustrated that so much attention is given to outdoor school programs and facility rentals ( a scouting camp hidden in the middle of a metropolitan area is a goldmine for weddings and corporate retreats) I feel like all attention should be given to the clubs

We have the same problem with our local zoo.  They've halved the number of animals, and added a wedding/reception area in its place.  Apparently, campgrounds and zoos have become popular venues for weddings.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give an update on the united way meeting. It seemed to go well, I was able to touch on why we chose to start a campfire club, how it related to what most would consider traditional scouting. Some of the things we have done over this past year, and how I have seen the kids grow. I was able to speak very briefly on my scouting background as to give a reference point that I did know what I was speaking of as well. It was nice that at least one of the committee members had turned out to be an eagle as well and could relate to what I was speaking on.

It was also a bit of a confidence builder that the committee chair asked for my speech so he could present it to the people he reported to.

• Upvote 2