I wanted to use it for my troop but I actually want to consider doing a big Discord Server (it's a chat app for gamers much like Skype).

Anyone think that this could have potential (and if you've been here a while tell me if it'd be okay to post the invite link)

I wanted to use it for my troop but I actually want to consider doing a big Discord Server (it's a chat app for gamers much like Skype).

Anyone think that this could have potential (and if you've been here a while tell me if it'd be okay to post the invite link)

I would run this past your Scoutmaster. If you do it privately, meaning not endorsed by the troop, then that's up to you and your friends. If you want to make it an official troop platform, that's a whole different story. This will need your SM and likely your troop committee to weigh in.

Our guys built a private Minecraft server only for members. They worked it in to one of the technology MB classes. Network and server security were built in, as well as language filters, logging and TK rules engines. Worked great.

I will note though that Boy Scouts is about spending LESS time on technology and more time outdoors. :)

I meant for every scout not just the troop...

I think what @@backpack is saying is that you can put up a server on your own. That has no issues other than your own cost, time, effort, etc. You should also check with your parents because there may be issues around minors setting up certain services.

If you are trying to something "official" where your troop is involved, that would have to go through your SM and the TC chair. Just like your troop website or social media sites, they are responsible (and liable) for anything posted there. There are BSA policies that we as adult leaders have to follow.

It is good that you are checking, but I think you want to sit down with your parents and your troop leaders and discuss your idea. The reason to be careful is that such a platform gives criminals a great please to prey on unsuspecting people, youth or adults. There are huge youth protection issues involved, so talking to your parents and leaders is your best course of action.

Edited by Col. Flagg

He is talking about an app for all scouts in all units in the US and maybe even farther. I'm not a technogeek, but I encouraged my scouts to go for their dreams. One scout forgot to use the scout law in his design of our Troop Web page and had to reeled in a little, so my only suggestion is keep all things within the scout oath and law.

Barry

Some of our scouts have used Minecraft (they setup their own game servers) and Xbox-live as a communication means. Generally troop/patrol discussions were short and the subsequent game playing long. :rolleyes:

Scouts have done similar with ham radio, but be aware managing an operating Discord server is much more work. Do you have the time? Maybe like ham radio, the server is only live for a hour or two each day?

With your parent's consent, start small and unofficial and go from there.

How will you authenticate users are real Scouts? I disable spammers on scouter.com daily.

My $0.02

Edited by RememberSchiff

This is an interesting idea, and could have a lot of potential.

I do not mean to discourage your idea or effort, but there are some real concerns for safety depending on the scale of the effort.  If you are looking for just your troop and/or oa lodge, where you have some way to verify each member, and are willing to moderate or at least review the content you will probably be fine; however, as soon as you start opening this up to Scouts whom you have not met or do not know well, then all the other problems with these types of systems come into play.

For one, if any members are younger than 13, you may be subject to federal guidelines on COPA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_Online_Protection_Act

In addition, have you given thought to how you would validate the scouts applying for membership and making sure that no unauthorized persons become members?

The BSA also has some very strict rules regarding communications between adults and scouts.  If adults are also members of the site, you would need to think about how the rules could be enforced or accommodated; if not, will Scouts turning 18 be kicked off (or restricted from who they could communicate with)?

Another good start would be to review the BSA guidelines on Social Media

http://www.scouting.org/Home/Marketing/Resources/SocialMedia.aspx

I applaud your initiative.  I hope that you can find a good way to bring your ideas to fruition.  Either way, you will learn a great lesson about how rules (which often have valid reasons) can infringe on the implementation of a good idea.

While it may not be your intention, I can think of at least 3 or 4 merit badges where an effort like this could probably satisfy many of the requirements.

Best of luck.

I'm glad some of you here know what BeastlyGaming is talking about, because I sure don't.   :)

My guess, he's talking about replacing scouter,com with a scout-run chat server. :blink:

Edited by RememberSchiff

Lol you guys are creative...

Discord would not and never has been subject to Protection acts as it's just like every other chat service... As far as BSA goes their not the ones running the Discord, though it may be related to scouting I would be able to manage it and keep it scout friendly

Regarding the identity of scouts, I'm not all that concerned with what the adult leaders would in truth consider "predators"... People in the discord are subject to many open conversations and the discord will constantly remind it's users to be safe...