So I am sitting at a troop court of honor today chatting with a lovely lady about wood badge. She was a three beader. I told her I hoped to finally get around to taking it this fall.  She thought it was a wonderful idea as long as I was a fox.

She then explained that not only was she a fox but her uncle had been a "good 'ol fox' in the very first woodbadge, and his patrol leader was Bill Hillcourt.   

Her uncle?  Joe Davis

Edited by Oldscout448
  • Upvote 1

To me, the nobility are the often unsung unit leaders or volunteers that never do wood badge or other such things. Rather they coach the kids over the decades, build a solid program and churn out solid, well trained young men.

The beads, knots, sashes and medals don't say near as much to me as this, but that's just me. Most true "Scouting nobility" we will never hear of.

• Upvote 2

To me, the nobility are the often unsung unit leaders or volunteers that never do wood badge or other such things. Rather they coach the kids over the decades, build a solid program and churn out solid, well trained young men.

The beads, knots, sashes and medals don't say near as much to me as this, but that's just me. Most true "Scouting nobility" we will never hear of.

I agree, to a point. Without the worker bees, there would be no honey but without the queen, there would be no hive. 

I am in awe whenever I meet or have a connection to the founders because without them, we wouldn't have this great program to offer to our youth.

I would probably also have my one hour a week back. ;)

Edited by krikkitbot

I am in awe whenever I meet or have a connection to the founders because without them, we wouldn't have this great program to offer to our youth.

Founders are different than other "nobility". I agree that founders belong in a highly held, and small, class.

I am thinking about all the "created nobility" who think the knots on their shirt or the number of beads they have means their you-know-what has a floral essence the likes of which we've never beheld.

I ran in to one of those this weekend. She was running an archery range. One of my crew asked for pointers on their elbow position. My scout put their bow down and stepped back from the firing line and I we spoke briefly. This noble women was so intent on finding fault in what I was telling my scout she took her eye off the range...and missed the scout who walked across a live range!!  :eek:

Thankfully, no one got hurt but it scared the heck out of her. 15 knots and three beads did nothing to keep her focus where it belonged.

Edited by Col. Flagg
  • Upvote 1

Celebrity status is given, seldom earned.

I was working at my desk one day when this gentleman came into the office.  He looked familiar.  He introduced himself to me as "The Governor of the State of Wisconsin."    I said, "And your last name, sir?"  He said it and I notified my boss the Governor X has arrived for his appointment.  I turned to the Governor and said, "He will see you now, sir."  He shook my hand on the way out and asked for my name.  I said, "The Reverend Stosh."  He smiled and said , "Well played, sir."  Saw him a few times after that, and I called him The Governor of the State of Wisconsin and he called me The Reverend  :)   He turned out to have a nice sense of humor.

I don't think people should get hung up on one word like "nobility".  It is not a word I generally use but I think we can all agree that the people mentioned in the original post - Bill Hillcourt and Joe Davis, though I had never heard of the latter before this thread - are worthy of admiration.

I don't think people should get hung up on one word like "nobility".  It is not a word I generally use but I think we can all agree that the people mentioned in the original post - Bill Hillcourt and Joe Davis, though I had never heard of the latter before this thread - are worthy of admiration.

Agreed. I'd probably be a stammering fool if I were to meet E T Seton's grandaughter at Philmont. :)

Sorry, I don't er wowed by celebrities. I can admire people for their accomplishments but that doesn't put me in awe of them. Check that, the infantryman that was in Mosul or the gal who was a recon medic...they I am in TOTAL awe of.

• Upvote 1