Rocks in My Backpack, by Tom Sholes

So I've mentioned reading this book a few times lately in various posts.  Well, I finally finished it today over lunch.

I highly suggest it.  If you are here, you are interested in scouting and scouting stories so you will enjoy this book.

The short of it is, this guy was a scout in the 1940's.  Became a SM as a young adult and led a few units through a very outdoor adventure oriented program through something like 40 years.  It's divided up into short stories, which makes it an easy read.... with a good amount of chuckles every few pages.  Some of it is a bit dated, in that there were things done that I cannot even imagine being considered today, but in that you also get a taste of what scouting used to be in a way, too... and he had some great co-ed stories too, with some coed adventures with a GS troop, and then later with an explorer post

Seems like they did a lot of backwoods type backpacking and canoe trips, some winter adventures too.  As a scouter in a tailgate/ troop trailer plop camping troop....It really struck me how great folks out west must have it, with lots of really great options of places to go.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2711721-rocks-in-my-backpack

• Upvote 2

I looked on Amazon for this book.  Cost of $99.  Where did you get your copy?  Not sure I want to pay that much.  

Another fun scouting book for leaders is "I Thought Scout Uniforms Were Fireproof!"

I think I bought it used on amazon

but not too long ago I saw it on sale at scoutstuff.org....or maybe that is where I bought it. Can't remember for sure....

$99 wow, I should have kept better care of it!  Been throwing my copy around in the truck, and eating lunch with it.  A bit worn and dog eared now.

Looks like folks are responding well to the recommendation, @blw2

I ordered a used one from Amazon yesterday and paid about 9 bucks, shipping included.  There weren't many cheap used copies available then.

Naturally, buying a used copy from a thrift store located in another state means that delivery will be slow, pack-mule slow.   But I'm looking forward to reading it.

So I've mentioned reading this book a few times lately in various posts.  Well, I finally finished it today over lunch.

I highly suggest it.  If you are here, you are interested in scouting and scouting stories so you will enjoy this book.

The short of it is, this guy was a scout in the 1940's.  Became a SM as a young adult and led a few units through a very outdoor adventure oriented program through something like 40 years.  It's divided up into short stories, which makes it an easy read.... with a good amount of chuckles every few pages.  Some of it is a bit dated, in that there were things done that I cannot even imagine being considered today, but in that you also get a taste of what scouting used to be in a way, too... and he had some great co-ed stories too, with some coed adventures with a GS troop, and then later with an explorer post

Seems like they did a lot of backwoods type backpacking and canoe trips, some winter adventures too.  As a scouter in a tailgate/ troop trailer plop camping troop....It really struck me how great folks out west must have it, with lots of really great options of places to go.

blw2,

I was fortunate enough to have Tom as my SM. 

Here is a photo of Tom giving the son of one of my fellow scouts a copy of "Rocks" yesterday at this young mans Eagle Court of Honor yesterday.

Ian

17434705_10208776147345369_1333727829858

• 6 months later...

Thanks Desert, I am going to find a copy and add it to my collection.  We out west are fast losing many of those wonderful spots to federal overreach or poor budgeting.  Our local NF is now more controlled by "vendors" than the FS itself, and with that the cost has gotten out of reach for some of the most popular areas.  And, if the scouts and a few other outdoor user groups did not maintain trails, the hiking would be even more difficult.  Of course we also deal with scofflaws to the outdoor courtesy idea and the other myriad environmental issues, most recently the drought.  Still, we find places or scrape up the fees as often as we are able. 

I've read it, and will re-read it again in the near future.  It's a great book and now has a special place on my book shelf.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.