Eagle Project - Who must participate

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best answer - "Yes - it counts"    ... but I must confess I do STRONGLY encourage the scout to include others beyond his own genetic tree.  

I am going to go off on a tangent a bit, so bear with.  I was just asked to be my troop's "Eagle Advisor," helping the Star and Life Scouts get prepared for doing the Eagle service project and the BOR

If it was approved properly it should pass.  One doesn't need to lead scouts or scouters to do the project.

Yes. Although we try to encourage scouts to involve other scouts as well as classmates and members of the community in their projects, sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

If the "club" included other students, make sure the scout sends thank-you notes recognizing the hours they served. That may be important for the student's nomination to honor-societies or for senior projects.

I am going to say it depends. It better be written into the plan and noted during the approval process.

I say that because I saw one Eagle Project approved and executed with only 2 Scout's involved, the Life Scout and his First Class brother. Everyone else was in their church's youth group. His thoughts were, They were benefiting, they need need to be involved.

In the same district, but with a different advancement chairman, another Eagle project using non-scout labor had some issues. the DAC didn't like the non-Scout invovlement. That and he viewed the project as benefiting dogs and not the community. But since it was written into the plan was approved by the previous DAC, he had no choice but to accept it, especially since the project came about flawlessly. The Eagle in question did a lot of prep work to the point of making cardboard models to see how the items being build would work.

Irony about "benefiting a bunch of dogs and not the community" is this. When my camp had a lost camp situation, the group that the Eagle project was for came in to do search and rescue with their dogs.

Anyway, advise the Life that he definately needs to discuss that with the district folks during the approval process so it doesn't cause problems later.

One of my Eagles did a post-construction cleanup and landscaping around his church.  The church members helping out-numbered the scouts 5 to one.  Even the Grounds Committee members took their cue from the Scout.  Scout did all the planning and followed the landscaping plan provided by the local business that was providing the plants.  Worked out really nice. 

In the same district, but with a different advancement chairman, another Eagle project using non-scout labor had some issues. the DAC didn't like the non-Scout invovlement. 

The DAC was adding to the requirement, which says the Eagle candidate must "give leadership to others."  It does not say who the "others" need to be.

So I guess the best answer to Scouting4Ever's question is, it depends on whether the district is applying the requirements the way they are written, or adding to them.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 1

"His own genetic tree"? 

Scoutson's project was rehabbing the Rabbit Barn at the County Fair.  He did have some Scout folks in helping, but in reality, the majority (in numbers, anyway) were Four H and Rabbit Breeders Club people.   

As has been said, the only Scout required to be there, is the Eagle Candidate.

"His own genetic tree"? 

Scoutson's project was rehabbing the Rabbit Barn at the County Fair.  He did have some Scout folks in helping, but in reality, the majority (in numbers, anyway) were Four H and Rabbit Breeders Club people.   

As has been said, the only Scout required to be there, is the Eagle Candidate.

Scout does not need to be present at his own Eagle project.  He just needs to proposal a project and then plan and develop the project.  There is no requirement for the scout to actually participate in doing the project. 

Scout does not need to be present at his own Eagle project.  He just needs to proposal a project and then plan and develop the project.  There is no requirement for the scout to actually participate in doing the project. 

Fred, here's where I have difficulty with definitions.  Proposing, and then plan and develop it are all words that describe the task of the project.  It encompasses no need to lead people.  I would find it kinda hard to lead people and yet not be present to do so at the project execution.  To me, things that deal with tasks is management of time, talent and resources.  Leadership involves people following

Fred, here's where I have difficulty with definitions.  Proposing, and then plan and develop it are all words that describe the task of the project.  It encompasses no need to lead people.  I would find it kinda hard to lead people and yet not be present to do so at the project execution.  To me, things that deal with tasks is management of time, talent and resources.  Leadership involves people following

Leadership is many things. It is planning, development, training and demonstration. I not sure I agree that someone can fulfill leadership without being there. You have to execute and show, lead, explain, answer, etc., during the project to show and demonstrate leadership.

Leadership is many things. It is planning, development, training and demonstration. I not sure I agree that someone can fulfill leadership without being there. You have to execute and show, lead, explain, answer, etc., during the project to show and demonstrate leadership.

Planning can be done by oneself, difficult to "lead" because it's a management of a task process.

Training involves instruction of people, the task at hand is for them to learn, not for them to follow you, other than your directions, but not necessarily you per se.

Demonstration and other teaching techniques on accomplishing a task?  It would be easier if one could program a robot to do precisely what is necessary to accomplish a task, but until then  one needs to have people follow directions and focus on the task.  It's kinda like the new kiosk ordering system at the fast food restaurant.  Pretty hard to lead those kiosks anywhere.

I have tried, but often fail to help people understand this difference between leadership and management, but until they have an epiphany, there's not much I can do.  I had one fella call me up at 1:00 am to tell me he finally figured it out.  :)

Are people there because they want to help you succeed?  and you work to offer satisfaction in their work? or is the task (project) the main focus and all these people that show up are the cogs and tools to make it happen?