A scout is Obedient....or should that be Responsible?

I meant to say this a few days ago, but in addition to the 12 words themselves, I think we need to look at the descriptions in the Scout Handbook. There is no "Responsible", but here is the description of Trustworthy (actually from the 11th edition as it was the first thing that came up on Google, though I can't imagine it has changed much):

A Scout is Trustworthy.

A Scout tells the truth. He is honest, and he keeps his promises. People can depend on him.

People can depend on him. That takes in at least a portion of "responsible", doesn't it? Trustworthy is not just about not lying, it means being dependable. A Scout does what he says he is going to do, and if you want to extend that a little, a Scout does what he is supposed to do. Sounds responsible to me.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The scout law is not: A scout is trustworthy or loyal or friendly or.....Like all the traits In the law, obedience is balance or completion working its single application with all the applications

I haven't read the book.   Yes, a scout is obedient.  He is obedient to his parents.  He is obedient to his teachers.  He is obedient to his scout leaders.  He is obedient to the people he is suppos

(Hebrew: ×œÖ¹× ×ªÖ´Ö¼×¨Ö°×¦Ö¸×— â€Ž lo tirá¹£aḥ   Thou shalt not murder.