Coleman Weathermaster 10. Patrol tent?

Hi,

I am new to this forum but have recently been asked for my views on the Coleman Weathermaster 10 as a patrol tent, I have been out of scouting for a few decades since the '90's but was refreshed to see the old patrol double fours in the stores.  They, now as ever were not the easiest of tents to use and maintain so the Coleman alternative has been suggested.

I have always been a fan of Coleman products especially their stoves, I have looked at some of the online reviews which seem mixed and wondered what everyone else was using these days?

Sorry if there is a really obvious area for this and I have breached protocol but if anyone has any feedback on this tent it would be gratefully received.

All the best,

Neil

Welcome to the forums!

I have two  6-man tents from Coleman. The price was right. They serve well for most of our family's open field, national park pads, and beach campsites.

And from time to time they work for youth-group and troop or crew "plop" campouts where density is an issue.

But, if I didn't have have repair kits and spare poles from scrapped tents and tarps, I wouldn't touch them.

So, if you and your boys are handy with sewing, splicing rope, and cutting and finishing fiberglass and aluminum, they are cost effective.

But, then again, if you all have those skills, and you can't get the units for a cut-throat price ... build your tents from scratch.

I am new to this forum but have recently been asked for my views on the Coleman Weathermaster 10 as a patrol tent, I have been out of scouting for a few decades since the '90's but was refreshed to see the old patrol double fours in the stores.  They, now as ever were not the easiest of tents to use and maintain so the Coleman alternative has been suggested.

I have always been a fan of Coleman products especially their stoves, I have looked at some of the online reviews which seem mixed and wondered what everyone else was using these days?

I suspect the tent you'd get for your troop would depend on what your troop already has. If it's a new unit I would advise against going with a big Taj Mahal tent for a few reasons. First, 2-4 man tents are easier for young Scouts to set up by themselves. Second, if you ever want to do camping other than car/plop camping, the 2-4 man tents are necessary. Lastly, having guys tent-up in 2s and 3s really does build more esprit de corps, in my opinion, than one big tent. Oh, and BSA does have a few issues with Scouts too far apart in age bunking together, in the event your troop uses mixed age patrols.

In terms of quality I think many other manufacturers are of equal or better quality than Coleman. Big Agnes, Alps Mountaineering, Kelty, Marmot, MSR, REI are all good tent makers. In another thread there's a discussion about cost versus quality for patrol tents.

Edited by Col. Flagg
  • Upvote 1

Coleman quality is not what it used to be. My wife got me a 6 man Coleman for the family as a Valentine's Day gift. It's OK, but it leaks like a sieve, even after multiple coats of waterproofing. Also it is a major pain to set up and take down.  When we family camp now, we have used 2 tents. In the future 2 tents and a hammock.

As others have mentioned 2-4 man tents are the way to go. Easier to set up. More uses besides car camping, and less problems at nite.  One time we used an 8 man tent and had an entire patrol in it. No one slept that weekend as a result. That 8 man tent was only used once more, and by adults.

Finally, someone made a comment about parts. That is a concern specially with Coleman. My troop has a bunch of 3 man Coleman Hooligan tents, and they no longer make replacement vestibule poles.

• Upvote 1

I bought a Texsport tent several years ago and have been quite pleased with it.  Labeled "3 man", it is very commodious for 1 large Scouter, or two Scouts.   Sealed the seams (expected_) and it has served well in many storms.  They even sent , gratis, a broken hook for the rain fly.