my favorite changes were the ones to the Music MB

"Deleted requirement to “catalog your own or your family’s collection of 12 or more compact discs, tapes, records, or other recorded music†because most Scouts don’t know what those things are"

the did add a requirement to discuss intellectual property and the right way to download and share music which makes sense and seems relevant.

They should have dropped Req 6 from plumbing as mostly that is for gas lines. Not many DIYers are allowed to work on gas lines.

Maybe add to 7, also demonstrate connecting copper pipes with compression fittings or Shark bite connectors.

6. Cut, thread, and connect two pieces of metal (formerly steel) pipe.

7. Under the supervision of a knowledgeable adult, solder three copper tube connections using a gas torch. Include one tee, two straight pieces, and one coupling.

Another $0.02

They should have dropped Req 6 from plumbing as mostly that is for gas lines. Not many DIYers are allowed to work on gas lines.

Maybe add to 7, also demonstrate connecting copper pipes with compression fittings or Shark bite connectors.

6. Cut, thread, and connect two pieces of metal (formerly steel) pipe.

7. Under the supervision of a knowledgeable adult, solder three copper tube connections using a gas torch. Include one tee, two straight pieces, and one coupling.

Another $0.02

As a DIY myself, who says? DIYs don't typically know or check code. Maybe they should add "Verify local code for this application".

Barry

• Upvote 2

As a DIY myself, who says? DIYs don't typically know or check code. Maybe they should add "Verify local code for this application".

Barry

It's Boy Scouts. They assumed the helicopter parents would do that for the Scouts.  :D

Barry

That's a good point. Add calling Dig Safe as well.

Whether local code allows a DIYer to work on his/her own gas lines, I doubt the BSA or parents would approve.

Barry

ha ha.... just cut to the chase and say "consult with a licenced contractor"

DIY'ers aren't really 'allowed' to do much of anything if you get right down to it....

ha ha.... just cut to the chase and say "consult with a licenced contractor"

DIY'ers aren't really 'allowed' to do much of anything if you get right down to it....

Depends on your state and town. Maine is more DIY-friendly for electrical and plumbing work than Mass.

I like the idea of more hands-on or job-relevant requirements but that being said. I don't believe BSA wouldn't be in the business of putting youth in the position to work on gas lines. Sure a youth could find a good MB counselor who's a certified or experienced contractor/plumber, but there's a the risk of an "all-knowing" parent signing up as a counselor as well. That's frankly a pretty unsettling prospect.

They change the rank requirements too often. A new handbook with major changes in the requirements came out just over a year ago. They couldn't wait another year before changing them again? I can see changing them asap if it is an "emergency", but none of these are. The two for 2C do not change the meaning of the requirement, and the one for 1C could have waited until the next handbook. (I am talking only about the rank requirements, not about the MB requirements, which are not in the handbook anyway.)

• Upvote 1

my favorite changes were the ones to the Music MB

"Deleted requirement to “catalog your own or your family’s collection of 12 or more compact discs, tapes, records, or other recorded music†because most Scouts don’t know what those things are"

the did add a requirement to discuss intellectual property and the right way to download and share music which makes sense and seems relevant.

They could have kept something having to do with recorded music that is not just in a "device".  I think most Scouts actually still do know what some of them are, even if they don't see them every day.  My kids never believed me about 8-track tapes, though, and I don't have any to show them.  On the other hand, my kids are older than the Scouts of today.  My oldest daughter actually bought CD's and worked in a store selling CD's for awhile.