Yep, Second Class Scout Stosh here, never got to FC because of Morse Code which today is totally obsolete and isn't even required for a Ham radio license anymore.  Somethings get easier others don't.

http://usscouts.org/eagle/eagleastronauts.asp

So far, the same number of Second Class scouts walked on the Moon as Eagles did.

• Eagle Scouts: Neil Armstrong (Apollo 11) and Charles Duke (Apollo 16)
  • Life Scouts: Edgar Mitchell (Apollo 14) and David Scott (Apollo 15)
  • First Class Scouts: Alan Bean (Apollo 12) and Alan Shepard (Apollo 14)
  • Second Class Scouts: John Young (Apollo 16) and Eugene Cernan (Apollo 17)
  • Tenderfoot Scouts: Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin (Apollo 11) and Harrison Schmitt (Apollo 17)
  • Cub Scouts: Charles "Pete" Conrad (Apollo 12)
Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am not tracking here. The Beneficiary, SM and district/council approve the project. The Beneficiary, SM sign off on the final project as meeting requirements. How does a district/council approv

But the GTA says a BOR is granted when requirements are met. That means he's completed his requirements and been signed off. Can't add or subtract, so they can't fail him.   http://www.scouting.org

I will differ from the previous comments. Looking at the GTA, I would read "Eagle Project" to be the PROCESS which results in the final sign off of the requirement, NOT just one single project.    S

Actually had an EBOR have to consider whether or not the project requirement was done or not.  A Scout was warned several times, in writing, about pending age out date and Eagle.  (Got Life with less than a week to spare before.)  Delayed Eagle work (projects & MBs) until the last minute.  With the new (3-4 year old system) his proposal/concept was approved and he gave a Scout promise to create a project Final Plan and have it reviewed by someone, but never did.  Project was parent driven.  His project was the first one ever in the history of our Troop where the beneficiary gave a "cease & desist" order mid-project construction because the beneficiary was very concerned on how badly the project appeared to be executed.  Parents came to the rescue again; one workday session the only 3 people there were the Scout and his 2 parents.  The Scout even asked the beneficiary to sign off on completion of the project before it was completed with the promise that he would come back later and finish the work!  Concerns raised with the Scout on where his plan was during this time period and a parent, not the Scout, replied it was not required per BSA policy.  (A plan was written and presented ultimately but strong suspicion the "plan" was written after work had started.)  EBOR had serious discussion on whether or not leadership was demonstrated during the project to fulfill the requirement.  Very messy, but it can happen, and frankly should happen in rare circumstances.  Hopefully never again but I suspect at some point it will.  

I frankly prefer the old method where the plan was approved first but we never experienced the horror stories with District approvals like many have suffered, which lead BSA to change the policy on Eagle project approvals and the overall process.  We strongly, very strongly, recommend that the final plans be informally reviewed prior to construction and 95% of the Scouts do so, which has resulted in a 100% success rate for projects avoiding problems.  

So, with the example from @@DadScouts what's the value in the project?  The boy got the eagle and it made no difference between him and the 95% other boys out there doing it correctly.

One would think that the scouts could show leadership in ways other than a project.  Obviously this project did nothing towards showing any leadership whatsoever.  And yet the box got checked.

I'm thinking the older scout that plans out a high adventure float to the BWCA will need to show more leadership than building a gazebo at the nursing home and does more for scouting than media PR for the community.  Permits, licenses, menus, budgets, travel plans, training, etc. to get his patrol to the BWCA?  Real Eagle in my book, but then I don't make up the rules to allow a boy to run around town with a can of spray paint and a stencil says, "No Dumping, Drains to River!" and everyone runs around and spray paints the sewer drains for a couple of hours in the afternoon and the City Street Dept. saves a half day or so of overtime.

• Upvote 1

Actually had an EBOR have to consider whether or not the project requirement was done or not.  A Scout was warned several times, in writing, about pending age out date and Eagle.  (Got Life with less than a week to spare before.)  Delayed Eagle work (projects & MBs) until the last minute.  With the new (3-4 year old system) his proposal/concept was approved and he gave a Scout promise to create a project Final Plan and have it reviewed by someone, but never did.  Project was parent driven.  His project was the first one ever in the history of our Troop where the beneficiary gave a "cease & desist" order mid-project construction because the beneficiary was very concerned on how badly the project appeared to be executed.  Parents came to the rescue again; one workday session the only 3 people there were the Scout and his 2 parents.  The Scout even asked the beneficiary to sign off on completion of the project before it was completed with the promise that he would come back later and finish the work!  Concerns raised with the Scout on where his plan was during this time period and a parent, not the Scout, replied it was not required per BSA policy.  (A plan was written and presented ultimately but strong suspicion the "plan" was written after work had started.)  EBOR had serious discussion on whether or not leadership was demonstrated during the project to fulfill the requirement.  Very messy, but it can happen, and frankly should happen in rare circumstances.  Hopefully never again but I suspect at some point it will.

Broken situations are not the good basis of modifying rules.  Sounds like ... Scout was less interested in earning Eagle than the parents.  EBOR could have been well justified in not passing for many reasons.

My experience is broken situations are arrived at after a long trail.  Avoiding bad situations is for the journey, not after you arrive.  

I frankly prefer the old method where the plan was approved first but we never experienced the horror stories with District approvals like many have suffered, which lead BSA to change the policy on Eagle project approvals and the overall process.  We strongly, very strongly, recommend that the final plans be informally reviewed prior to construction and 95% of the Scouts do so, which has resulted in a 100% success rate for projects avoiding problems.

Yeah, I strongly recommend sharing the plan with the troop and with others.  There is no way to enforce that though.  Just like the rest, the scout can blaze out on his own path and it is evaluated afterward for advancement.