Should BSA develop a "Classic Scouting"

I have thought about this for a while. From my experience, I see the implementation of the Patrol Method (or lack thereof) being a function of a few things:

1. Exposure: The use of the Patrol Method is also tied to one's experience in Scouting, and by that I mean the SM and other key leaders. If they were exposed to it as a Scout they are more likely to use it. If not, they really don't know what it is or how to use it.

2. Training: Let's assume they know what it is, can they implement it? Do they know how to identify what phase along the Patrol Method continuum they are on? How do the get to full PM implementation from where they are? As @@TAHAWK points out, there is no standard BSA training on this subject. @@backpack may have some in his area, but it seems more grassroots than anything.

3. Pride: I use the word "pride" but I really mean "ego" or worse, "existence justification". By this I mean that the adults leading the program actually WANT to be adult-led because it's fun for them. They LIKE being in charge and running things and don't want to give up the reigns.

4. Frustration: The last group I see are the adults who want to use the Patrol Method, but they are impatient. They can be bothered waiting for the boys to come to their decision, they want immediate action. They get frustrated when new leaders are elected and you have to train them all over again to lead. They think the Patrol Method is the final destination, rather than something that is cyclical. Just because a Scout understands the PM does not mean when he first becomes a PL he's going to execute the PM perfectly.

As folks have stated here many times, even if BSA came up with an excellent PM training module, and resurrected Bill Hilcourt to teach it, adults will pick and choose what they want to use and discard the rest. Sad.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The social engineers at BSA would never allow a "Classic Scouting" program.     The people who are advocating for all these changes aren't really interested in scouting.  They just want to deny us o

@@RememberSchiff, your graphic is perfect. Succinct. If there was a green LMAO button I would hit it for you.   Anyway, that is why my scouts could care less about MBs.   We're classic in some of

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/04/15/the-boy-scouts-of-america-then-and-now-a-comparison-of-the-1911-and-modern-handbooks-and-merit-badges/    

A quick chip in from me.... one of my ASLs who's been doing this stuff for over 50 years has a great saying, he reckons the job of the scout leader is to make themselves redundant. A quite simple way of describing of what we should be aiming for.

• Upvote 3

Very good points by all, regarding the lack of patrol method.

But ... go back and read the bottom line of the last bunch of posts (other than Skip's)  It's kind of like a dysfunctional patrol. Everyone knows why it won't work but nobody seems to believe it will work.

I certainly don't have an answer but you guys are in a rut. What would you do if your PLC sounded this negative?

You have an advantage over a new PL in that you have a lot of experience. And maybe that's also a disadvantage. Didn't someone say it's harder to change the older scouts because they're set in their ways? So what's that mean if you're, like, older than dirt?

One thing you have going for you is you have the same passion as a new PL. You believe in scouts. If you had a new PL or a new parent come and ask for help you'd get all excited. Be that.

Maybe you guys have answers but you just don't see them yet.

So, think young. Be positive. Believe in it. Help each other out. Have fun.

Being bummed out about any thing is the first stages of burnout.  Too many people just blow it off as a bad day and grit their teeth and press on through.  Nope, not gonna work.

One of the reasons for my longevity in anything is it is valuable and exciting for everyone involved.  If it's not, move on to something that inspires passion instead of sapping it..... and heaven forbid you are not the one being the wet-blanket for others.  It's contagious.

@@MattR - I was going to post that I didn't intend my report to end on the negative. The overall positive was that our rountable commish was pushing everyone to put their cards on the table. So, we all got to hear how far each was taking or wanted to take the definition of youth leadership. The fact that a young woman on her first visit felt comfortable enough to be part of our conversation shows that we've got scouters who will listen.

The challenge, I suppose, is dealing with all of the folks who don't come to round-tables or committee meetings. They are the ones who need hear SM/ASMs set boundaries for the adults.

It seems that "dumping and running" was the first instinct for folks my parent's age. Parents my age and younger were preached "watch like a hawk."

Edited by qwazse

The "youth-led troop" is one aspect of the Patrol Method and naturally follows from the Scout-led patrols which plan the troop program to be led by the leadership team (PLC) headed by the SPL.  If program centers in the Scout-led patrol, where BSA still says it belongs (when BSA bureaucrats are not contradicting BSA's own words), the Scout-led troop follows as the night the day.

Stosh, I owe too much to Scouting to give up simply because things seem to need change.  I can try to change things where I am and support those trying to change things nationally.  My Grandmother had a sampler in a frame on her wall.  Her grandmother had sewn it.  "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."   

Everyone has their style.  What works for some doesn't work for others.  The hierarchical management style has worked for years for some out there.  And the collaborative service style works for others.  It's not an issue of what's right and wrong, it's an issue of what works for you and what works for the next guy.  

I've worked with scout groups, community youth groups, and faith-based youth groups.  They all work differently under different expectations.  A one-size fits all doesn't work. 

I have a huge billboard I drive by every day.  The current message is "Boys & Girls Club a program of character and leadership development." and a phone number.  The phone number is not for the council office.  Saw a pick truck parked in the restaurant parking lot last Thursday with the huge logo emblazoned on the door K.A.M.O - Kids and Mentors Outdoors. 

Youth Baseball Association runs from June through July.  Fall sports at the schools starts in August.  There goes the summer.

Like the song in the musical "Gypsy" says, "Ya gotta have a gimmick."

What's BSA's gimmick other than everyone doing their own thing?

We as adults need to focus a bit more on the purpose of scouting rather than sitting around wondering who's running the show.