Troop Meeting Place has a.... stocked bar

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alcohol and tobacco are both legal "drugs".  One can do the 1920's prohibition, but as we all know that didn't go very far.   The first troop I was in was at a conservation club where alcohol was si

Or...we use this as an opportunity to teach the boys about the dangers of alcohol.

It seems booze in bottles is the last thing one needs to be worried about if someone is being "old-fashioned" given all the other changes lately.    If anything it is a chance to have an open conver

If a boy stops by my house he will not realize there are a number of loaded guns in the house, alcohol on the shelves, beer in the refrigerator and the owners of the house will be armed.

When I occasionally do a MB in my kitchen, I do leave the handgun in the bedroom, but I don't child-proof the house when minors stop over.  I have 4 grandchildren that do not know the Mrs. and I are conceal carry.  If they ever ask about any of these things, we will sit down and discuss the issue in great detail.

My oldest daughter has recently asked me to teach her how to shoot.  She is taking Hunter's Safety at the moment.  She grew up in a gun-free home and at 36 wishes to know more about it for home safety. 

• Upvote 1

One troop I was in had a bar, but it was secured. You needed a key to open the roll up window, and the door to get behind the counter. Another troop had a bar, but they would put up a screen to limit access.  A third I know about met in a different room than the bar.

Maybe this is a weird concern, but my first thought wasn't that the kids would swipe a drink but that an adult might. I'm also thinking of this from my own perspective and imagining this scenario with scouts and scouters I know, and I can't think of any kids I'd worry about around the bar. But there are a couple of adults from the past that I'd have concerns about. One being a recovering alcoholic. 

Seems like an all-around bad place, though. Who needs the stress/worry about something happening, or the liability if a bottle goes missing. 

The club charters both the pack and the troop. The pack meets at the church, and they are aware. Never said a word.

A few months ago, we helped with a trash pickup. While we were there, lots of club members walking around with open containers, guns waving around, etc..... I was uncomfortable, so were the other leaders that were with. 

We were offered to fundraise during open shoots, but my leadership is concerned about the open containers at these events too.

I'm not sure what you mean by guns "waving" around.  Are you saying that the club does not follow the usual gun safety rules, or are you indicating that you are personally uncomfortable around guns, even if the gun safety rules are being observed?

I am beginning to suspect that you are not comfortable with your Chartered Organization.  If this is the case, then you should change units.  

• Upvote 1

Maybe this is a weird concern, but my first thought wasn't that the kids would swipe a drink but that an adult might. I'm also thinking of this from my own perspective and imagining this scenario with scouts and scouters I know, and I can't think of any kids I'd worry about around the bar. But there are a couple of adults from the past that I'd have concerns about. One being a recovering alcoholic. 

Seems like an all-around bad place, though. Who needs the stress/worry about something happening, or the liability if a bottle goes missing. 

It doesn't sound like a bad place to me.  But if you feel that a Chartered Organization is a bad place, then you are free to choose another unit.  I would even recommend that you do so.

I would never even consider joining a unit if I wasn't comfortable with the Chartered Organization.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The second of the two troops I was a member of as a Scout met in the "clubhouse" of the CO, but it was a fairly sprawling facility and the bar (which had fairly limited hours as I recall) was in its own room.  In fact, the room where the troop met was all the way on the other side of the facility from the bar.  I think I would have an issue with the bar being right there in the meeting room.

Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned about some things.  It just doesn't sound like the right setting for a Boy Scout meeting to me.  But that's just me.  It's a decision for the leaders of that troop to make.

It seems booze in bottles is the last thing one needs to be worried about if someone is being "old-fashioned" given all the other changes lately. 

If anything it is a chance to have an open conversation about the dangers of alcohol.

• Upvote 2

I think there are two separate issues being discussed here.  The first is a safety issue.  The second is an image issue.

I think that's true.  I guess I am seeing the alcohol as an image issue, not a safety issue.  And it isn't a huge deal.  It just wouldn't be my preference, if it were up to me.

Alcohol I'm not too concerned about, if its kept secure.  But if it's a smoking-allowed room, absolutely not, even if no one is smoking when scouts are present.  Can't abide the stink.

Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned about some things.  It just doesn't sound like the right setting for a Boy Scout meeting to me.  But that's just me.  It's a decision for the leaders of that troop to make.

The Chartered Organization owns the unit.  The decision is ultimately theirs to make.

• Upvote 1