Charter location question

With the most recent changes with the BSA policy (LGBT), Our Troop is loosing it's charter as it's a religious decision within, all respect is kept on both parties.

Please don't post negative remarks as we have moved past this, Goos news is we found a new charter.

My question is. I found a new charter that is not located in the council boundaries.

Is there a rule not allowing this. I am a member of a different organization that can host a Boy Scout Troop.

Our meeting are will be within the Council boundaries.

I tried looking this information up but was unable to.

Thank you.

With the most recent changes with the BSA policy (LGBT), Our Troop is loosing it's charter as it's a religious decision within, all respect is kept on both parties.

Please don't post negative remarks as we have moved past this, Goos news is we found a new charter.

My question is. I found a new charter that is not located in the council boundaries.

Is there a rule not allowing this. I am a member of a different organization that can host a Boy Scout Troop.

Our meeting are will be within the Council boundaries.

I tried looking this information up but was unable to.

Thank you.

This happened to several unit in my area, though they were outside district boundaries and not council boundaries. My understanding is that it is all solved in a similar manner; meaning your council and the accepting council are involved.

Three rules/ideas/guidelines are involved:

#1)  "We're in this for the boys and girls".

#2)  "The work is done by whoever shows up."

#3)   "It doesn't matter who gets the credit, just so the kids get the Scouting".

Keeping these in mind,  my understanding is the following:

The charter belongs to whomever signs the papers and takes the responsibility.  This would mean the dues go thru the "resident " Council.  The Scouts, therefore, would belong to that District and Council.   Howsomever,   the Scouts can go and participate wherever their friends and homes are. So the Troop/Pack can be sponsored by the Muddy Creek American Legion (which really has no good place for them to meet in) in Blessme BSA Council, but meet 5 miles away in the

Smoky Glen Volunteer Fire Company, which have the closet space and social hall available and is right next door to the Scout's school.   

If all involved are happy with the arrangements and the Scouts get out and about safely,  I see no problem.   

All you need are some DE's that are really "Scout" oriented, and not in it for the money (so to speak).

See you on the trail.

Three rules/ideas/guidelines are involved:

#1)  "We're in this for the boys and girls".

#2)  "The work is done by whoever shows up."

#3)   "It doesn't matter who gets the credit, just so the kids get the Scouting".

I love your 1,2 and 3 :)

My real question is, 

My new charter is in ABC Council, but my scouts and meeting area are in XYZ Council.

Thank you all for posts so far.

My real question is, 

My new charter is in ABC Council, but my scouts and meeting area are in XYZ Council.

Thank you all for posts so far.

In my council it was districts. Moved from ABC district to XYZ district. Most of the Scouts still lived and went to school in ABC district, though they rechartered in XYZ district. Council helped get things settled.

Then ABC district said the unit could not recruit in ABC district any more. Asked to "show me in writing" ABC district could not show the unit where that was prohibited...so they kept recruiting.

My understanding is that council switches would be similar. I am told, but have never seen, something that says you cannot recruit across councils.

Good info, 

My house is literally right on the border of the 2 councils (back yard property line.

I did not see anywhere in writing that a charter has to have a troop in the council matching the address.

I have also been a registered leader in ABC for 10 years, love ABC. But charter I have connections with are XYZ

Suggestions?

Good info, 

My house is literally right on the border of the 2 councils (back yard property line.

I did not see anywhere in writing that a charter has to have a troop in the council matching the address.

I have also been a registered leader in ABC for 10 years, love ABC. But charter I have connections with are XYZ

Suggestions?

Talk to your council. They will know the right answer.

As I have mentioned in previous posts.  One can be from anywhere to register in a unit.  At one time I had youth registered from 3 different states living in 4 different councils.  The summer camp my boys have attended was out of council.  AS WERE ALL THE OTHER BOYS IN CAMP..  The council's camp was a 4 hour drive OUTIDE the boundary of their council.  We only had an hour and a half drive to get there. at one point I was a SM in one district, a crew advisor in another and lived in a third district.  I really don't think councils or districts are all that worked up about it.

I've seen a few oddities where one town was deemed an "island" of one district ("District A") surrounded by another district ("District B").  The charter was held by a church in that town and there were no other charters in the town.  The troop actually met in another town within the contiguous boundaries of District A which is why they did the boundary shift.

If your chartering organization serves a wide area spanning council boundaries and just has a mailing address in XYZ territory, this is more likely to be workable. 

BTW is this a Jewish unit?  613 = the number of commandments in Jewish law, which is why my Jew-dar perked up.

I've seen a few oddities where one town was deemed an "island" of one district ("District A") surrounded by another district ("District B").  The charter was held by a church in that town and there were no other charters in the town.  The troop actually met in another town within the contiguous boundaries of District A which is why they did the boundary shift.

If your chartering organization serves a wide area spanning council boundaries and just has a mailing address in XYZ territory, this is more likely to be workable. 

BTW is this a Jewish unit?  613 = the number of commandments in Jewish law, which is why my Jew-dar perked up.

613 is my B-Day, June 13th

There may be applicable clauses in the Council(s) Charter & By-Laws. but as a practical matter... (a) Troop Committee and CO pick the preferred Council to register with. (b)  IH, COR and/or you (SM) meet with the DE, and © sign papers and and pay whatever is due.  If the Scout Professional is new, he/she will probably have to ask the boss.

I assume you want to stay with current Council, the services they provide and keep existing Troop #.  If the Council of the new CO location is not far away, at least investigate if this Council has better benefits .. camperships, activities,  etc.

It's all possible in the Scouting computer system... I'm familiar with a Unit whose CO is within Council A territory, registration is with Council B and meeting place is in Council C.