Boy who misses most den meetings, but still completes requiremetns

We have a small pack. Currently one Webelos I and one Bear, 6 wolves, 3 tigers, 5 Lions.

The Web I was meeting with the Web II, until they crossed over. The Bear was meeting with Wolf Den. Bear is really into wrestling, and tournaments are on the weekends, usually when we have den meetings.  He came to a few in Sept and Oct, and just made it to the last one we had today. Didn't see him Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb as far as den meetings go.

His parents have been able to work with him and get his book signed off, and he had completed everything needed. If we did a project, he did it at home. I have no reason to think his parents are just "rubber stamping" his requirements. I know them personally and are trustworthy and good people.

In his case, would you award him his rank? And I think this will happen next year as well.

Then the Web I kid. Not sure what to do about him either. I don't have a problem with him meeting with us on the Den level, but I am not going to do Webelos stuff with Wolves.

Parents of these two boys are generally supportive, want their kids to be in scouts, etc....  But realistically I can't help my wife with the Wolf Den (1 of my sons) with the Lion Den (other son), get the new Lions den off the ground come this fall, and run the pack AND run a Webelos program for the two boys who have no den. I have other parents helping out, but I have to draw the line somewhere on what i can do before I am burned out. 

Web I dad was a den leader for one round and that crashed spectacularly. Bear parents have 7 kids, so....... no. 

Edited by Cubmaster Pete

I have no problem with this situation, he earned the award, no questions asked, he gets the award.  Lone Scouts do it all the time due to distance and schedules in life.  I don't know of any of the Cub awards that are based on being active in a den or having to participate in so many Cub activities.  I may be wrong, the requirements change so often since I was a Web I & II DL.

I was leaning toward this, thanks for confirming.

I feel bad doing it this way, but you can only do so much.

I suppose I have to tell both parents that this is how it is, let me know what you do, and I will mark it down and but the appropriate awards.

• Upvote 1

I had a Cub who attended 1, yes, 1 meeting(this includes Den and Pack) the entire Bear year. I took the stance that I wasn't here to second guess the parents. If they are just "rubber stamping" things then it's their son who's being cheated. I sort of put my foot down in the Webelos I year because there is a requirement about being active in your Den. I sent his mother an email with the requirement, she wasn't happy but she complied. He hasn't missed many if any meetings since.

• Upvote 1

It could be that the boy found it more fun to be with the other boys than just work alone on bling.

I think we'll find more parents who do need that "push" to support their boys attending meetings.

It's a side-effect of the interweb: providing a delusion that we all can get by without physical contact.

I had a Cub who attended 1, yes, 1 meeting(this includes Den and Pack) the entire Bear year. I took the stance that I wasn't here to second guess the parents. If they are just "rubber stamping" things then it's their son who's being cheated. I sort of put my foot down in the Webelos I year because there is a requirement about being active in your Den. I sent his mother an email with the requirement, she wasn't happy but she complied. He hasn't missed many if any meetings since.

Don't worry, these kids (and parents) are found out when they hit Boy Scouts.

The first thing we tell our new parents at our new parent orientation is, "You only have one more signature to give on your Scout's paperwork." We underscore the Instructors will help them on their trail to First Class. After that, they are on their own trail to Eagle. 

Mom and dad can sit back and help the troop, teach a MB class, be an ASM or TC member, but they won't sign off on ANY requirements ever again (unless they're an MBC).

Taking over at Webelos and working that through the DL is a GREAT idea!!!

Edited by Col. Flagg

Akela is your mother.

Akela is your father.

Akela is your aunt

Akela is your uncle.

Akela is your grandfather.

Akela is your grandmother.

Akela is your neighbor.

Akeal is your teacher.

Are you getting it yet?  Any adult can be Akela to the child.  We're not talking rocket science here, we're talking the basic cub scouting program.  I know BSA converted for the Den to do more at Den meetings, but the program isn't that difficult; most parents can do the stuff with their kids needed to sign off an Achievement or an Elective.

Don't worry, these kids (and parents) are found out when they hit Boy Scouts.

The first thing we tell our new parents at our new parent orientation is, "You only have one more signature to give on your Scout's paperwork." We underscore the Instructors will help them on their trail to First Class. After that, they are on their own trail to Eagle. 

Mom and dad can sit back and help the troop, teach a MB class, be an ASM or TC member, but they won't sign off on ANY requirements ever again (unless they're an MBC).

Taking over at Webelos and working that through the DL is a GREAT idea!!!

What about the requirement to agree with parents on an amount to save and save that money? I tell parents that's the only requirement that they can sign. 

• Downvote 1

What about the requirement to agree with parents on an amount to save and save that money? I tell parents that's the only requirement that they can sign. 

Nope. That's a still a requirement my Instructors sign off on. The Scout brings the plan he worked on with mom and dad, but parents NEVER sign off on any requirements after Scout #6.

• Upvote 1

Sadly, even in boy scouts I see parents lobbying for their kid to get something signed off or telling them exactly what to say to the scoutmaster.   When I ask the boy the requirement in the book 9/10 times the boys will either tell me iin great detail how they did the requirement or own up to the fact they need to work more on it.  The other time is usually a honest mistake by the boy and how he interpretted the requirement.  

Yes, parents come argue the points with me but the boys don't.  That is an easy discussion to have.  "Johnny is doing fine, he knows what he needs to do.  I trust him to get it done.  Together, we will see him learn from this.  We are proud of him."   It is all true, and the parents agree.

Akela is your mother.

Akela is your father.

Akela is your aunt

Akela is your uncle.

Akela is your grandfather.

Akela is your grandmother.

Akela is your neighbor.

Akeal is your teacher.

Are you getting it yet?  Any adult can be Akela to the child.  We're not talking rocket science here, we're talking the basic cub scouting program.  I know BSA converted for the Den to do more at Den meetings, but the program isn't that difficult; most parents can do the stuff with their kids needed to sign off an Achievement or an Elective.

I am not sure with the program re-design, but with the program previous to the 2015/2016 re-design, there was a subtle shift with Akela at Webelos level.  For lower Cub ranks, Akela was as you describe.  For Webelos, the BSA published books described Akela as the den leader.  It was part of the progression to prepare for Boy Scouts.

I still don't have trouble with the boy getting his rank.  Advancement, especially at the cub level, is a motivator to continue and develop further interest.