I don't know if you have ever came across the Troop that just doesn't have any reason to be there. We had one in our District. The Troop was chartered by a local volunteer fire company, but nothing was as it should be.

The ASM was the Scoutmasters wife, the SPL was the Scoutmasters son and troop meetings were held in the Scoutmasters house. These meetings were more about the SPL having a few pals hang out at his house,more then anything else. When I was District Commissioner I assigned our best unit commissioner to go and sort things out. I was really shocked when two lads from the troop signed up for the last Jamboree. One Lad was of course the Scoutmasters son who was a hard case and thought that he was was going to give me a hard time. Needless to say I kind of won him over and he wasn't that bad a Lad. In fact I met him on the street a little while back and he thanked me for all that I had done.

The other Lad was a very quite fellow. The type of Lad that just seems to blend in. Not a bad little fellow, but not the life and soul of the party. He was a good friend of the Scoutmasters son and a member of that troop even though he lived a good distance away. His Grand Mother worked for a friend of mine a Doctor who is on our Executive Board and while he has never said so I think that he paid this Lads way to the Jamboree.

It seems that this Lad 16 years old was driving from the high School to the Vo-tech and was maybe speeding. He lost control of the car and was trapped in it. He was life flighted to the big trauma hospital in Pittsburgh and passed away.

I feel totally numb.

The troop closed and didn't recharter last year. So Jeramey was no longer a Scout. Still he was one of my kids.

The Doc and I are having lunch tomorrow. He wants to buy a James E. West in memory of the Lad and set up some sort of fund that will send other Lads to the Jamboree.

I have just looked in OJ's bedroom he is asleep, worn out from the weekend at NLS. I was very tempted to wake him up just so that I could give him a hug.

I have spoke to my priest and he is saying a mass for Jeramey and I will send a mass card to his family.

At times we forget just how much we love our kids even the quite Lads that blend in and are never the life and soul of anything.

Someone took one of those panoramic photos of troop 429 at the shake down weekend for the Jamboree. The photo is on the fridge along with all the up and coming dentist and eye doctor appiontments. It has been there all this time and I paid it no never mind. All of a sudden it means a heck of a lot more.

Eamonn

Eamonn:

I teared up reading the post. I know whereof you speak. My wife and I have no children of our own and love those that we serve.

It causes pain to us when they are lost.

But have faith that they are in a good place and that we have, in however small way, helped put them there.

Mourn the young man, but review what you have learned from them. The rewards went both ways.

Dave

Eamonn:

I teared up reading the post. I know whereof you speak. My wife and I have no children of our own and love those that we serve.

It causes pain to us when they are lost.

But have faith that they are in a good place and that we have, in however small way, helped put them there.

Mourn the young man, but review what you have learned from them. The rewards went both ways.

Dave

I am so sorry for your loss. Why does it always take something tragic for us to appreciate what we have.

I have a 15 year old son who is anxiously waiting to take driving lessons like everyone else his age. My parents didn't let me drive until i was 18. I thank them now for that. I tell my son it's not so much him i'm worried about... but all the other drivers out there.

I'd like to leave you with one of my favorite thoughts... To the world you may be one person, but to one person, you might be world.

I hope you find comfort in knowing you helped shaped this boys life, even for the short time he was with us.

Sparkie

You made a difference in the life of a child. That means more than all the square knots the BSA can offer.

As I write this, I am looking at an obituary of a young man who has been on camp staff for the last 4-5 years. I knew him as a "cheerful spirit" who worked well with the younger scouts and was respectful to us old geezers. He did not stand out. But he was always there, fulfilling his obligation. I didn't even know his name, but I instantly recognized the thumbnail photo. All the paper says is that he was an Eagle Scout and "died suddenly" at age 22. It has been on my desk at work since January. I look at it often and wonder why God would take him at so young an age. And I thank God that my two sons are still with me and healthy and I pray that He doesn't need them any time soon.

I did the mistake of reading this post while on a break here at work. Someone will really questions why I'm teary eyed if they walk into my office just now.

All I can say is yes, it is very sad that a 16 year old was called home so soon. But it just goes to show you that whatever time we take for the "small things" is all the more worth it. I'm sure that boy had a better life on earth because someone like you took the time to expand his horizons. And for whatever purpose God had him serving here on earth, I'm sure God used you as an instrument as well.

Don't take it for granted that you will have tomorrow, but live for today, and do and be all that you can for one another. Our time on earth is but temperary.

BTW, Hug your child! That is a moment he will treasure, even if it takes him 10-20 years to figure it out!