Scouter on new Fox reality show Kicking and Screaming

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/05/veradale-boy-scout-among-the-survivalists-featured/

In “Kicking & Screaming,†10 expert survivalists, including 52 yr old Terry Fossum, are paired with pampered partners as they compete in challenges and live in a tropical jungle in Fiji. The winning team splits a $500,000 grand prize.

Filmed last May, executive producer Anthony Dominici said in addition to the pairings of survivalists and divas, “Kicking†differentiates itself from CBS’s “Survivor†in tone, too.

“There’s a sense of humor that’s not typical of cutthroat reality shows,†he said.

That’s apparent in casting Fossum, who wore part of his Boy Scout uniform on the series. (Fossum said wearing the uniform was producers’ idea, though he was happy to oblige after clearing it with the national office of the Boy Scouts of America.) (Schiff warning note: In photo Mr. Fossum is wearing a necker. :D )

Fossum, who went on a 6,000-mile driving, boating and backpacking trip to the Arctic Circle a few years ago, prepared for “Kicking†by traveling to Guyana for about a week to learn jungle survival techniques from South American experts, swimming with piranha and picking ticks off himself.

“It helped me an immense amount,†Fossum said of his prep work.

What he couldn’t be prepared for, necessarily, was the person he would be paired with: Natalie Casanova, a 29-year-old, pink-haired, tattooed gamer and YouTuber.

“Imagine her reaction: She’s looking at nine studly people, many young, with buff muscles, and she gets the old Boy Scout,†Fossum said, laughing. “Imagine what she’s thinking: ‘I got the old guy.’ â€

Now that's funny - 52 is old! :laugh:

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 2

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/premium/article_966698ba-047c-11e7-b73b-e730653044ea.html

Another interview with some more background info on Mr. Fossum.

Fossum, public speaker, author and philanthropist, was born in McAllen and graduated from MemorialHigh School in 1982, the school’s first graduating class. He graduated from Texas A&M University with a degree in mechanical engineering and served as an officer and captain in the U.S. Air Force.

Fossum is a lifelong Boy Scout and at the time of casting, was a Scoutmaster in Spokane Valley, Washington, where he now resides. A casting call was sent out to the national scouting website and Fossum was nominated by someone who had been through one of his leadership courses. Fossum initially thought the casting email was a hoax.

“The problem is, I’ve never gone to that website, and if I did, I certainly wouldn’t have answered a casting call for a reality TV show,†Fossum said. “I’m not interested in being on a TV reality show in the least. I was 51 years old at the time, getting fat and had pretty much decided that my adventures were behind me.â€

Fossum agreed to the casting call and tried out for the show. When it appeared he would be cast, he decided to leave it up to faith and accept the challenge.

“Well, I’m a Boy Scout, always have been, always will be, but is that enough?†he asked himself. “I used to teach Wilderness Survival merit badge at Boy Scout Summer Camp as a youth. I took a real interest in it, being able to survive without much, or anything. I won’t pretend to ‘master’ the wilderness, because the wilderness is always the master and anyone who believes otherwise is a fool.â€

This video is pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdEaF4cHL8Y

more on Mr. Fossum at  his website

https://terrylfossum.com/

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • 1 month later...