Since my son is crossing over next week we made a trip to the scout shop today. Walked out with 2 new uniforms and $350 less. Amazing. Fortunately I'm done growing(vertically not laterally) and he has room in his shirt and pants, so this won't happen again for a while.

RivetSmasher, I recall you mentioning you son chose a Troop. Are you volunteering in some capacity in said Troop?

Sounds like the two of you will look spectacular in your new uniforms. I bought a pre-sewn patch shirt one time. Self and son have and will do our own sewing from now on. One way to save cheddar. And learn a useful skill. ☺

Brace yourself for a future of fun.

If your son's growth spurt comes on before he wears his shirt out, don't let that uniform sit idle in his closet. Remember that not every family can handle the sticker shock.

RivetSmasher, I recall you mentioning you son chose a Troop. Are you volunteering in some capacity in said Troop?

Sounds like the two of you will look spectacular in your new uniforms. I bought a pre-sewn patch shirt one time. Self and son have and will do our own sewing from now on. One way to save cheddar. And learn a useful skill. ☺

I've been his Den Leader since day one. The plan since he was born has been that we were joining Boy Scouts. We are a Scouting family. My wife already has her shirt, I outgrew mine(laterally).

• Upvote 1

Tip on the canvas switch back.  Always wash the legs with this pants so that the fading is constant. 

Also they shrink quiet a bit so when they hem them up hem them inside so you can let them out as he grows

Never cut the bottoms off of Scout pants.  Hem them up and be ready to let them down as needed. Resale and usefulness to another scout is appreciated if they have a bit of room to grow as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know the feasibility of this for everyone (based on sizes of units and area), but my son's Troop he just joined held a uniform "swap" day. The older Scouts brought in their smaller uniforms and donated them to be given out. The younger/new Scouts were able to get full uniforms and some extra stuff (like a really nice winter coat). Maybe this is something you could look into. Understand that this was actually someone's WB ticket item and that is why it happened.

• Upvote 2

I've been his Den Leader since day one. The plan since he was born has been that we were joining Boy Scouts. We are a Scouting family. My wife already has her shirt, I outgrew mine(laterally).

What a remarkable child he must be to have made up his mind at such a young age.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Remember keep your receipts and that BSA has a lifetime guarantee even if a lot of the new stuff isn't gonna last a life time. I am on my 2nd free replacement of my 2010 purchased switchback pants with the amazing un-weaving crotch. Keep an eye out for clearance sales at the scout store, I got some super lightweight switch backs on sale for $10 one year and wear them a lot. The color is a little off but since it is officially issued it is OK.

I have also purchased Olive Drab BDU's for less that have lasted my boys much longer than the BSA issue. You need to check on your Troop policy on that. My older boy kept blowing out the knees and seat and the BDU had those areas reinforced.

My younger boy always checked out the clothes closet we had looking for old outgrown class B shirts, socks, and pants. He has several different scout era outfits now he has pieced together. Ask around.

Wish I'd known about the lifetime guarantee, but I probably never would have been able to find the receipt anyway. After just a year the zipper broke on one of my son's pants leg. I swore then and there I would never buy another pair of official scout pants. The quality was not comparable with the price.

LOL! I had a parent get into a tizzy last year beacuse our campfire club was just too expensive and she was going to move her son to Boy Scout in the next town over. I smiled gave her the name of their Scout Leader and told her about what a great guy he was and how BSA is a fantastic organization. I didn't mention the costs that come with it.

Through fundraising my kids are each given a uniform shirt and all of their camping is paid for. The only thing parents are out are registrations $15, 3/4 of their emblem vest $18, dues $4 per month, and adults must pay for their Meals when camping $8-12 per trip depending upon what we eat.

We had a major falling out with that parent right afterwards so I never saw or heard if they got their kiddo signed up with BSA or not, I would have loved to seen her face when she saw prices from the Scout store

Edited by EagleonFire