• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I liked to old marketing campaign of "Prepared for Life" 

A lot of scouters say that sort of stuff about team sports (and team sport parents). In my 40 years of coaching and supervising team sports, I have seen very little of that.     There are a lot of j

T shirt:   "Please remain calm  I am a Boy Scout".    and  "Don't Mess with the Boy scout.  He knows places where you cannot be found."

I disagree to a point. 

While he doesn't need to boil

I disagree to a point. 

While he doesn't need to boil the ocean to get some slick slogan or vision statement or something, forward long-term planning using some of these tools is helpful in keeping a unit (adults, not Scouts) robust and successful.

All you need there is the 6-P Principle. "Proper Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance".  No long winded Mission Statements necessary.

Edited by frankpalazzi

My pitch line is "Every boy needs scouting for a different reason."

I also tell parents and Scouts, "Scouting is about leadership.  Leadership is about being responsible for others.  The first step of learning how to be responsible for others is learning to be responsible for yourself."

Talking to a bunch of parents, I told them, "We'll teach your sons to do dishes and clean toilets."

All of our Scouts would get this one... "We teach them to fish."

I don't have much time for this so:

1) I told my committee that since I'm leaving they should change things the way they want and more importantly they should think about what they want. They all said they came to our troop because of the way we do things. They are asking me to teach them. Since I'm stepping down in 3 months I have no problem trying to ensure a quality program sticks around.

2) The aims and methods of scouting along with most of the training in the BSA is poor. Consequently new Webelo parents need a lot of work. It doesn't matter if they were Eagle scouts before. Also, vague platitudes about citizenship and ethics do not make a connection with the increasing number of parents that only see Eagle. This is partly why I want to rewrite them for my troop.

3) Different troops have different cultures. So again, just giving adults a pile of BSA documentation will not convey how my troop does things. BSA documentation will not explain why I might stand back while someone's son is frustrated or upset.

4) The idea of a brief slogan was just the first step and I wanted to get it right. When I get to the methods I want to explain how they support the aims. If I can succinctly explain how the patrol method supports the aims then maybe a parent will understand why I'm waiting to see if another scout will come and help their frustrated son.

5) It is clear to me that scouting is one of those things that can't be described but at the same time is worthy of many good quotes. So I think I'll just take the best quotes from here and make that the intro. I will likely start with Heraclitus's quote just because I like it.

• Upvote 2