Ditch the Neckerchief

Sorry guys, I'm not buying it. There are a dozen ways to identify as scouts, neckers are just one option. Hats, t-shirts, patches, etc., stuff kids wear even outside of scouting activities. Any kid wearing something with a BSA symbol/text/trefoil on it is going to be recognizable as a scout. 

I'd even argue that we'd likely see kids wear scout gear more often and outside of scout functions if we were encouraging them to wear a scout hat than a necker. What kid would wear a necker alone while not at a pack/troop activity? I can already hear resistance I'd get if I told my son to wear a necker to school one day. But a hat? He'd be happy to. He's got a camp patch sewn on to his backpack. 

Luckily nothing really depends on whether or not you buy it.  ;)

Where you are, maybe it's not "cool" in the which case I pity any kids growing up there. It sounds like you never have any contact or exposure to international troops either, which is also too bad since we see them fairly frequently in our national parks and amusement parks here in Southern California; it's not uncommon for Scouts here to camp with troops from Canada or Mexico, and sometimes various countries from Asia. 

Also the BSA is not "going out of the neckerchief business." That is really just a rumor it seems, though I am sure some would be happy to propagate it. But honestly, if these kids have such "issues" with uniforms that something as little as a neckerchief is keeping them from camping and the outdoors ... well, let's just say the problem has nothing to do with the neckerchief.  :cool:

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Necker is the universal symbol of scouting, we should encourage its use and Scouters should wear it whenever they are in uniform

I admit I'm a traditionalist, so I am for the necker. My troop has opted to go the custom route though. We are using olive drab USGI triangle bandages with a custom patch. So they are quite useful.  

Pyramid scheme?  Not really, in a pyramid scheme quite often some of the victims get their money back.     (Added note, I was probably thinking more of a Ponzi scheme than a pyramid scheme, but I t

Where you are, maybe it's not "cool" in the which case I pity any kids growing up there. It sounds like you never have any contact or exposure to international troops either, which is also too bad since we see them fairly frequently in our national parks and amusement parks here in Southern California; it's not uncommon for Scouts here to camp with troops from Canada or Mexico, and sometimes various countries from Asia. 

Kids here are just fine, no pity needed. But thanks for your concern. 

... But honestly, if these kids have such "issues" with uniforms that something as little as a neckerchief is keeping them from camping and the outdoors ... well, let's just say the problem has nothing to do with the neckerchief.   :cool:

I don't think the neckerchief makes kids quit or refrain from joining in the first place. I do think it's a piece of a larger issue of the perception of scouting, though. At least regionally. Sounds like the necker is embraced in some units and some parts of the country. In some areas it does seem like kids would much rather go without them. National seems to have ditched them, at least for the most part among leadership. I was just wondering what other people thought and if this was maybe a trend headed towards a more formal shift in necker usage. 

Obviously you're a fan of the necker. Thanks for your feedback on this. 

Edited by EmberMike

I always wear one.  Our Troop is very proud of the necker we designed.  We use the world scouting model and wear the neckers with or without the uniform. 

I always have issue with adult leaders, especially the paid leadership, when they do not wear the proper uniform including a necker.  Our Scout Executive rarely wears a uniform, he normally looks like a used car salesman or a sales guy at a discount store, if he is not proud to be seen in uniform how can we expect it from our Scouts and volunteers?

• Upvote 2

I always wear one.  Our Troop is very proud of the necker we designed.  We use the world scouting model and wear the neckers with or without the uniform. 

I always have issue with adult leaders, especially the paid leadership, when they do not wear the proper uniform including a necker.  Our Scout Executive rarely wears a uniform, he normally looks like a used car salesman or a sales guy at a discount store, if he is not proud to be seen in uniform how can we expect it from our Scouts and volunteers?

same here, I always wear mine.  Our exec never is in uniform either, and yeah, he totally comes off as a used car salesman. 

• Upvote 1

Might want to hold your indignation after reading the Guide to Awards and Insignia, page 12. Emphasis added.

"Boy Scout neckerchiefs are optional. Troops choose their own official neckerchief. All members of a troop wear the same color. The troop decides by vote, and all members abide by the decision. If the neckerchief is not worn, then the shirt is worn with open collar. Boy Scout and Boy Scout leader neckerchiefs may be worn in a variety of plain colors and contrasting borders."

One CAN wear the uniform properly AND still look professional WITHOUT the necker. 

Let's hope everyone wears the uniform properly following all the other standards.

Edited by Col. Flagg

Ten years ago, I was a larger proponent of good uniforming.  I still believe in it.  Tuck in your shirt.  Keep it clean.  Have it current with patches and insignia.  

But I was burned by the centennial uniform update.  I bought three complete sets.  Pants wore out within six months (compared to the previous version NEVER wearing out).  Shirts lost the flag or random letters and then spelled interesting phrases.  Belts that broke.  Just way way too many failures.  So now, I find pants that match the color and general style, but I buy them from a vendor I like.  I keep my shirt clean and and up to date.  

To be honest, I'm worried much more about functional than looks.  If I go on a long hike with my troop, I want the uniform to keep me warm or cool and to not fail.  

So when I think of neckerchiefs, I view it similar.  Is it functional?  No, it makes me sweat.  No, it adds time uniforming and searching for piece parts.  Can I look respectable without it?  It's just not that big of a deal to me either way.  Wear it if you like, but it's just bling to me. 

Edited by fred johnson
  • Upvote 2

Sorry guys, I'm not buying it. There are a dozen ways to identify as scouts, neckers are just one option. Hats, t-shirts, patches, etc., stuff kids wear even outside of scouting activities. Any kid wearing something with a BSA symbol/text/trefoil on it is going to be recognizable as a scout. 

I'd even argue that we'd likely see kids wear scout gear more often and outside of scout functions if we were encouraging them to wear a scout hat than a necker. What kid would wear a necker alone while not at a pack/troop activity? I can already hear resistance I'd get if I told my son to wear a necker to school one day. But a hat? He'd be happy to. He's got a camp patch sewn on to his backpack. 

Just because a boy wears a Cubs cap or a Twins cap or a Brewers cap, doesn't make him a baseball player. 

Even if the boy doesn't have a $75 full uniform, all he need do is put on a necker and people will think he's a scout.  The branding is that strong.

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

...or a chef...

Just because a boy wears a Cubs cap or a Twins cap or a Brewers cap, doesn't make him a baseball player. 

Even if the boy doesn't have a $75 full uniform, all he need do is put on a necker and people will think he's a scout.  The branding is that strong.

...or a chef...

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/asset/en/prodimage/xlarge/a011-neckerchief-blue_01.jpg

To be honest, I'm worried much more about functional than looks.  If I go on a long hike with my troop, I want the uniform to keep me warm or cool and to not fail.  

So when I think of neckerchiefs, I view it similar.  Is it functional?  No, it makes me sweat.  No, it adds time uniforming and searching for piece parts.  Can I look respectable without it?  It's just not that big of a deal to me either way.  Wear it if you like, but it's just bling to me. 

When I was doing reenacting in a heavy wool uniform, dark blue in 100o+ weather, I still wore a necker.  I used it as a hot pad for campfire cooking.  When the barrel of the gun got to hot to hold the necker came off and wrapped around my hand.  The kepi cap would allow the sun access to the back of the neck.  Necker took care of that.  Need a wash cloth?  Necker,   To this day I have 8 36" square reenacting neckers left over from reenacting in my bedroom drawer.  When I go hunting, fishing, gardening, mowing the lawn, cutting trail in my backwoods, roasting marshmallows with my grandkids, there is a non-scouting necker always there ready to use if not around my neck in my left hip pocket.  It was something I learned as a camping kid and never got out of the habit.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps it is a bit too early in the morning for this comment, but I would rather the scouts are "uniform in spirit" meaning they act, behave, and think like Scouts when walking around outside of scouting activities. I would gladly sacrifice knee high two-toned socks for scouts to "do a good turn daily", or swap the necker for "help others at all times". The scouts helpfulness and service to others without reward or recognition is, IMO, more important, and to connect with a different thread exactly what BP meant about "practical religion".

• Upvote 2