Ditch the Neckerchief

A comment in another thread got me thinking again about the stigma of being a scout, wearing the uniform and having friends see you in public as a scout when it's not considered a "cool" thing to do. When I was a kid, the neckerchief was often the most despised part of the uniform, and some of us opted for bolos instead, although in hindsight I'm not sure it was any better of a look. 

I've never been involved in a unit that voted to not wear neckerchiefs, although I've heard of some that do vote to go without them. Historically they served a practical purpose, but they were also larger back in the early days and their usefulness in things like first aid was far greater. Today, in their current size and shape, there isn't much use for them beyond uniform wear and unit identification, which is redundant. 

Has the time come for the BSA to consider a more formal reduction of the neckerchief in uniform wear?

If one were to follow the example of National, you'd think neckerchiefs were already long gone. Few (if any) folks from National are ever seen wearing one. Many adult leaders leave them off, even in units where the policy is to wear them. 

Just wanted to hear some thoughts on this. If your unit wears neckerchiefs, why? And if not, also, why? 

In my opinion, this seems like one of the easiest changes we would potentially make to reduce some of the "uncool" factor of being in uniform, especially when there is no practical reason to wear them anyway. How many kids quit because of pressure from non-scout friends, or the perception that it's lame or dorky or whatever to be a scout? I don't expect that removing the neckerchief will completely change the school-age perception of the program, but if it helps at all in making the kids feel more comfortable in uniform, I say ditch the neckerchief. 

Edited by EmberMike
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Necker is the universal symbol of scouting, we should encourage its use and Scouters should wear it whenever they are in uniform

I admit I'm a traditionalist, so I am for the necker. My troop has opted to go the custom route though. We are using olive drab USGI triangle bandages with a custom patch. So they are quite useful.  

Pyramid scheme?  Not really, in a pyramid scheme quite often some of the victims get their money back.     (Added note, I was probably thinking more of a Ponzi scheme than a pyramid scheme, but I t

The troop we merged with wears them. Scout's decision. I don't propose to probe their minds.

As boys get older, they tend to forget to bring it to meetings.

I wear my WB kerchief with my venturing uni. I cinch it with a friendship knot.

Now that we can officially do so. I am trying to wear it on most scouting activities. Even if I only have an activity shirt.

I think if I time it right, I can get the crew to tie dye neckers. Trying to make it seem like it's their idea is tricky. :o

Edited by qwazse

I admit I'm a traditionalist, so I am for the necker. My troop has opted to go the custom route though. We are using olive drab USGI triangle bandages with a custom patch. So they are quite useful.

I personally think BSA made a mistake when they decided to make the Boy Scout neckers Cub Scout sized and an option. We are the only country in the world where the necker is an option. Heck in some countries, it is the only uniform Scouts have!

• Upvote 4

I still wear a real neckerchief, square of course. It is immensely functional as I often demonstrate on outings. Unfortunately, my troop currently has opted-out of neckerchiefs but I am trying a new approach - the necker as gear not as uniform. My fiendish plot starts with a wilderness survival campout which requires scouts to wear a neckerchief and use it during the weekend activities - water filtration, first aid, signalling.

My $0.02

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 2

Our Troop does not wear them, though I wish we did.  Dont know if they actually voted at some point in the past or not - it has been this way since I joined.

The neckerchief is pretty much universal in identifying as Scouts.  My understanding is that other parts of the world it is even worn as part of an activity uniform - Scout tshirt and necker.  

I have two thoughts on them being uncool - when I was a cub, we wore our uniform to school on den meeting day.  Around here at least that just doesnt happen so the only times a Scouts friends might see him in uniform is when they're doing something around the community - scouting for food, or a parade  or service project.  At that point, I doubt it is the neckerchief that causes the teasing so much as the uniform in general.

The other thought is much more noble - rather than discard the necker (and eventually the uniform?) so kids dont get hassled for being uncool, I would rather put in the effort to make Scouting something that kids can be proud to be a part of.  A challenge for sure, but one that needs to happen to help ensure our survival.

True, the necker was added to the uniform both as a "tool" with which to "be prepared" and as a set off from the rest of the society.  The neckerchief of my Scout days was designed by the Scouts of that era, just before I joined.  It now shows it's age, with some nicks and tears. It is very distinctive, has a patch on its apex that by itself would probably cost 6 or more  dollars today. Triangular, It is 4" on the diagonal bigger than the standard necker the same Troop uses today, and that is the standard, Scout Stuff necker. 

I too bemoaned the YSL necker the Scouts promoted thru the '80's and on.  It was a cravat, not useable for much of anything else. My home Troop later opted for a bigger necker, tho still not as large  as the one I display at CoH in February. 

The utility (or lack of it) of our uniform is often noted . The pockets, toughness, (?), comfort (?) mark the Scout uniform as a useful item, not just "fashion". 

The necker and it's woggle/slide is often pointed to as THE item that marks a Scout around the world.  As said above, it is often the ONLY uniform the Scout actually has.  Go to any World Jamboree, (2019 !) and the neckers are  prime trading items.    

I would favor the Troop  utilizing the necker again as a utility item.  Make it BIG.  Make it DISTINCTIVE in color and pattern.   And USE it for a sweat band, head covering, neckcovering, , scarf against the cold,  Make it inexpensive enough to wash and wear.  Signal flag, swim towel,  blindfold, leg tie for games. Make the Cub Necker a Scout Necker the Cub can "Grow Into". 

I have seen Kindergarten teachers and day care folks use neckers as ID for their kids on field trips.  Everybody with a Bright Green necker is OUR kid . Easy!  

Don't negate the item from poor choices of reasoning (small size, poor design, no practice or encouragement with utility).  Make better choices !

• Upvote 1

Yeah, there is no way the BSA will be phasing out neckerchiefs any time soon, and thank goodness! The neckerchief is the most recognizable part of the Scouts uniform, not to mention the only really useful part of it!

How the boys feel about the necker' is usually a reflection of how the leader feels about it. The boys in my congregation's troop were always ambivalent about wearing neckerchiefs, until I came in one day and talked about the history of why we wear them, the dozens of ways in which they can be useful, etc. I then showed them all the neckerchiefs I have saved up from the time I was a little Wolf Scout, and then revealed to them that they actually had the privilege of choosing to wear whatever neckerchief they wanted - they had never been told how many color choices there were, and they were EXCITED! Each patrol had voted on a differently-colored necker' within 10 minutes. Later the SPL attended the monthly Committee Meeting and formally requested new neckerchiefs for each patrol, and now they wear them all the time - and as per BSA policy, when their Field Uniforms aren't practical, they go out with at least their neckerchiefs to identify them as Scouts!

In Cub Scouts, it's not even optional - my boys wear them, or they aren't counted as being in uniform. That's also BSA policy. And I have a few different ones, depending on what role I am filling at that particular event. The neckerchief is one of the best parts of the uniform! And luckily, the BSA seems to agree: 

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2015/08/21/scout-neckerchiefs-now-approved-wear-nonuniform-clothing/

I think a recent move like this makes it pretty clear that the Boy Scouts of America won't be getting rid of this key uniform component any time soon, and hooray for that! I would hate to see such a wonderful tradition sacked just because a few self-conscious teenagers are too embarrassed to put a neckerchief around their neck, lol.  :cool:

• Upvote 2

When I was a Scout (in the 1970's) neckerchiefs were worn by the boys - the only exception was the Wood Badge neckerchiefs and we understood that as the adults playing at being Boy Scouts.

The adults wore ties or bolos - being from the suburbs of Chicago bolos tended to be worn as part of the "informal" uniform - which really was just the full uniform without a tie.  Bolos were typically worn to scout meetings and roundtables.  Ties were reserved for Courts of Honor and Scout Sunday.  My uncle in Arizona only wore Bolos - no ties - as an adult Scouter.

When I was a Scout, we didn't like wearing neckerchiefs but not because it didn't look cool - we didn't like them because it was too easy for them, or the slide, or both, to get lost - but wear them we did.  They often played a role in our Scout meetings - we were always using our neckerchiefs for something - first aid practice, knot tying - we learned that they could be pretty handy things. 

I guess I'm still a fan of neckerchiefs - but it should be the boys decisions - since adults shouldn't wear neckerchiefs anyway, adults shouldn't get a vote.

If one were to follow the example of National, you'd think neckerchiefs were already long gone. Few (if any) folks from National are ever seen wearing one.

I've met National Commissioner Charles Dahlquist several times and he was wearing one each time. Once I saw him wearing two. :)

Our troop does not wear them. Neither did my older son's troop. I don't know why. That decision was made before I joined the troop, nobody has mentioned it, and nobody has ever raised the question of reconsidering it.

I don't think it is any more, or less, uncool than any other part of the uniform.

I admit to some personal bias here because we wore neckerchiefs in my troop as a youth. Those, along with those stupid berets, and the...uh...strange..tabs and garters on the knee high socks were completely useless and extremely annoying. None of those things ever got worn on campouts or anything remotely active. Nothing like a uniform so impractical you don't ever wear it.

I see utility in neckerchiefs, but none of that utility has anything to do with the way they are worn on the boy scout uniform. But if we're going to have them, at least make them big enough for practical uses. I think the test on the size should be at least large enough to tie a head bandage for First Aid purposes.

But I don't miss them and, aside from this board, don't know that I know anybody who misses them.

Yeah, there is no way the BSA will be phasing out neckerchiefs any time soon, and thank goodness! The neckerchief is the most recognizable part of the Scouts uniform, not to mention the only really useful part of it!

Actually National supply has quit making them. They are now only selling what is left in their inventory.  In the 3 years I've been in my troop, We have gone through  3 different colored neckers from national. We are are now on #4, which is a custom necker described above.

And yes, in many places, including now in the US, Scouts will sometimes wear only a necker as their identifying scout item.

In reading this thread and a few others, it would be interesting to see how many people like neckerchiefs but also favor coed scouting, etc. It seems some traditions folks don't want to part with (neckers) but some other things (boy only) can go.  ;)

Not trying to be incendiary, just a passing observation. Moving along, nothing to see here. :D