Ditch the Neckerchief

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Necker is the universal symbol of scouting, we should encourage its use and Scouters should wear it whenever they are in uniform

I admit I'm a traditionalist, so I am for the necker. My troop has opted to go the custom route though. We are using olive drab USGI triangle bandages with a custom patch. So they are quite useful.  

Pyramid scheme?  Not really, in a pyramid scheme quite often some of the victims get their money back.     (Added note, I was probably thinking more of a Ponzi scheme than a pyramid scheme, but I t

Unless/until it is required as part of the uniform, you won't see me wearing one. Same likely goes for most of the other leaders in my Pack, I don't get the feeling any of them would be anxious to wear a neckerchief.

Do the scouts in your troop wear them?

In either case, who made the decision to wear/not wear them?

Do the scouts in your troop wear them?

In either case, who made the decision to wear/not wear them?

The scouts in my pack do wear them. Not sure who decided leaders don't wear them or when. It was just how things were when I arrived. 

The scouts in my pack do wear them. Not sure who decided leaders don't wear them or when. It was just how things were when I arrived.

Maybe your pack leaders should consider wearing the neckers. Leaders have a strong influence on the youth by modeling the behavior that is expected of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As for being "uncool," modeling behavior works. My son would ditch his uniform top and necker whenever we stopped somewhere on the way home from meeting. He would tell me it was too hot, or uncomfortable or he didn't want to get anything on it. I never objected, but I left mine in tact.

Frequently, people would comment on my uniform or ask questions or tell me their scouting stories. I have had numerous people come up and shake my hand and say thank you, and a few times, when I asked for the check for our meal, I have been told someone had already paid it.

It wasn't long before my son started keeping his uniform on when we stopped. He takes Great pride in representing the Boy Scout's now because he has seen first hand how positively most people react.

• Upvote 1

Maybe your pack leaders should consider wearing the neckers. Leaders have a strong influence on the youth by modeling the behavior that is expected of them.

I agree about the modeling behavior idea. But when my opinion of neckerchiefs isn't exactly favorable towards the wearing of them, I kind of think I'm already modeling the behavior I prefer. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks all! You reminded that I had misplaced my usual necker, so I dug deep and grabbed one from my old lodge that I'll cinch with a slide from the '81 Jambo. Just in time for the meeting!

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 2